EXPATTAX - Thomas Zitzelsberger - English-speaking tax advice, available to clients Germany-wide

141 posts in this topic

I had interaction with Thomas over the course of the last several weeks. Responses were fast and clear, and I have no complaints at all.

I have been corresponding with Thomas Zitzelsberger on a variety of complex tax matters.

The problem I found is that most tax-related discussions on the Internet addressed people from the northern hemisphere (particularly the UK). The tax/pension/superannuation rules in my home country are quite different.

I sought advice from a number of "advisors" but I found the information they gave was confusing, or not related to my situation, or (sadly) just wrong. Some even refused to converse in English - the excuse was that they did not want anything "lost in translation".

Eventually I was directed to Thomas Zitzelsberger at EXPATTAX and his advice has been excellent. He gave a considerable amount of his personal time to try to understand my problem. He then gave excellent advice. I offered to pay Thomas for his advice, but he refused any fees. Even when it was likely that I could not be a long-term customer for EXPATTAX, Thomas still volunteered, freely, further advice - which was most helpful.

The time Thomas spend, the way he gave his time freely, and perhaps more importantly the nature of his advice, was extraordinary. I recommend him without hesitation.

I just wanted to leave a positive review for Thomas even though not using his services directly. I have a friend using Expattax and she says they are wonderful so I contacted them. Thomas gave me advice for my situation and while I need specifically a US accountant he was very fast with his response and recommended someone for me to contact!

Happy tax season!

I've requested Mr. Zitzelsberger some advice on a tax-related situation I had. His response times are great! He has provided me with excellent information nobody else could.

I really recommend him!

EXPATTAX has recently started a new referral program. Get in touch with us and find out how you can use your personal network to minimize your own accountancy fees. Looking forward to hearing from you: info@expattax.de

Posted by EXPATTAX; Thomas Zitzelsberger - Toytown advertiser

I recently contacted Thomas for advice and offered to pay for his services. He took all the time in the world to walk me through the different options and the cost, and to talk about my situation. Friendly, professional, knowledgeable.

Like in eBay: gerne wieder! :)

For over 6 years now I have been working with Thomas and his colleagues on my tax matters. He and his colleagues are all highly experienced and bilingual tax consultants offering a very high standard of service with knowledge of tax systems in multiple countries not just Germany.

In particular, Thomas represented me in a court cases against the Finanzamt in which I was falsely accused of tax evasion and fraud, and was hit with a huge tax bill as a consequence. The case dragged on over 5 years and on many occasions I was tempted to thrown in the towel. However, we won the case and the Finanzamt was totally humiliated by the Judge's ruling, which was in no small part due to the professionalism, perseverance and high attention to detail from Thomas.

I highly recommend his as a tax advisor.

My wife and I came here after becoming self-employed to spend some time with my parents here in Germany. We ended up liking it so much that we decided that we would stay for a bit longer, but did not fully understand the tax ramifications of immigrating or even remaining here in the short term. I recently requested to speak with Thomas directly after reading the reviews here on Toytown Germany and was called by him personally within 24 hours. We were greatly impressed with his knowledge and professionalism as he was able to answer most of the questions we had about our unique situation, and he was also ready to admit when he was not 100% sure and willing on consulting other professionals. We had tried working with other tax professionals in Germany in the past, but Thomas has been the only one who has given us specific advice and a general tax estimate without putting down money or waiting an eternity for a response.

We will undoubtedly be hiring Thomas and his firm to file our taxes in Germany based on our experience with him and the other reviews online.

I wrote a mail to Thomas and got response within 10-12 hours. I just had a discussion with him on phone and he really guided me well and solved mostly my queries.

I'll surely be hiring him soon.

Guys I just wanted to personally endorse Thomas Zitzelsberger and his team

Over the years they have helped both me and my wife complete german tax returns and also helped decipher requests from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung regarding my past employment and education history in the UK prior to living in Germany.

Very fast, very responsive and very efficient.

post-16-1170682643.gif

I spoke with Thomas today. He was so sympathetic to my situation, gave me very professional advise and took the time to go through my problem in detail. I will definitely be availing of Thomas' service in the future. So friendly, professional and knowledgable.

Thank you Thomas

Proceed with caution.

I write this review out of concern for other small business owners who have just moved to Germany and don't know the laws and costs of accounting. I would not like anyone to go through what i have been through using expat tax's services.

Around 6 months ago i found Expat tax online. I contacted Mr Zitzelsberger who then passed me over to one of his "colleagues". I trusted in them and their "what appeared to be good reputation".

False advice

As a small business owner i found €750 + VAT expensive to do a Kleinunternehmer tax return file but you can make your own judgement on this. After 4 months of getting a "yes" to nearly every question i asked i started to get suspicious. Was i really that great at doing my accounts that everything i was doing myself was right?..... I took my accounts to a different accountant on my road who told me my accounts are "Müll" or trash. They also answered another question i was suspicious that i had been falsely advised about regarding my import tax and how much of it i can claim back. They told me that i could claim around 90% of it back which was completely different to what the expat tax representative told me (1%). This was how it unfolded that i had been provided an unqualified person to take control of my finances. This quickly explained a lot as to how i nearly went bankrupt the previous month. When i spoke to mr Zitzelsberger about her qualifications and whether she was qualified he said "i don't think whether she is qualified is in question" - I was shocked at this acknowledgement.

Didn't read and check my emails

The second issue shortly after unfolded while working with my newly appointed accountant. She told me that all of my 95 invoices were calculated incorrectly and were incomplete with the wrong VAT displayed. This meant that not only had i sent the wrong invoice to every customer but i had also paid too much VAT to the government. I had to go through all my accounts and correct this alone. The first invoice i ever made, i sent to the agent for expat tax and she confirmed it was "perfect". In reality she had never even looked at it and wasn't even qualified to look at it anyway. When i asked her why did she not check my invoice was correct she said "it's not my job to check the numbers".

Never organised my folders

After paying €750 for my tax return i was returned my folder in envelopes still disorganised as it was when i sent it to her. I suspect this was never checked either as it was also "perfect, no problems" my newly appointed accountant has since taught me how to organise my folders without using plastic sleeves.

At the end of everything that happened i advised Mr Zitzelsberger that "accountants should be trained within a school and not in the real world using other people's businesses as a guinea pig for experiment and mistakes". I estimate this experience cost me around €2000 of loss in receipts + the €1600 i paid at a rate of €199 per hour at a qualified rate for an unqualified person. This does not even include my time to sort this mess out or paying my new accountant to sort it out.

"My new accountant said she cannot see how accounts can be taught and kept properly by mail, this needs to be done face to face"

Mr Zitzelsberger offered to sort the problem out and also pay for any damages. This fizzled out and came to nothing. I would never let them have hold of my precious documents again. He also offered to do my 2015 tax return for me at the half price discounted rate of €750 + VAT (originally €1500) but the last time i checked €750 was already far too high for a small business and i was not prepared to do any further business with them. He treated me like i was stupid, small and insignificant.

Please be careful.

Dear Charles, 

I am really sorry to see you so upset. I would have appreciated the opportunity to review  your documents to establish if indeed we did make a mistake and then rectify any potential mistake (free of extra charges of course). Unfortunately you have chosen a different route. Just in case you do change your mind, please feel free to get back to me at any stage. My offer stands of course. 

I contacted Thomas regarding a Tax issue that came to my attention.

Thomas replied to my message quickly and was able to advise me on the issue.

Very friendly and professional. 

I asked Thomas for some general information and he was very kind to reply to my email very fast.

Thomas advised me and openly presented the options I have - I will definitely consider using his service!

Very knowledgeable, professional and friendly!

Thank you Thomas!

Best,

Maria

Year end is approaching soon - I know, I know - nobody want's to hear that now. 

Year end can be the deadline for many tax matters in Germany - although there are so many exceptions it is hard to put this in a short general statement. To make sure you do not miss out on a refund claim, you should contact an accountant. But keep in mind that many accountants in this country are drowning with work towards the end of the year. October is usually not too bad, but don't leave it much later to avoid last minute panic action. 

I'd just like to share my experience - I can't recommend Thomas highly enough. He's been helping me since I started juggling German and UK income in 2008, and his advice, and the support of his colleagues, have been invaluable. I rang him yesterday with a query, and in fifteen minutes over the phone he untangled the issues and gave me a clear solution - it was the best professional advice I've ever received.

As a native English speaker from Canada living in Germany, I was happy to receive honest, clear advice from Thomas Zitzelsberger .  I would not hesitate to use Thomas's services again, nor would I hesitate to recommend him to others in the expat community.

All,

I'm a newcomer to the German tax business. I just retired from the Department of Defense in Oct 17 and was wondering how does the German Government notify one on how to submit German taxes? Will my local Rathaus notify me? the German Finance Ministry? who?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Tony

1 hour ago, Antonio Carpenter said:

All,

I'm a newcomer to the German tax business. I just retired from the Department of Defense in Oct 17 and was wondering how does the German Government notify one on how to submit German taxes? Will my local Rathaus notify me? the German Finance Ministry? who?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Tony

This is the advertisement of a tax advisor, @Antonio Carpenter and not part of a general forum for questions. here in this advertisement you'll write about your experience with the tax advisor and recommend him to others. Your questions belongs below into the Finance forum or into an email directly to Thomas Zitzelsberger and Expattax.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.