Cancelling with t-mobile

9 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone had any success cancelling a contract with t-mobile after their subsidized phone contract has finished.

Basically, I am long into my phone contract, the initial 24months is over and my phone is an old 3GS. Unfortunately, I missed the 30second window t-mobile seems to have given me at 3:43am one morning 6 months or so ago, so I recently rolled onto another year.

Since the phone is fully paid off, I though it would be possible to cancel this contract but t-mobile says only if I die. Surely this can't be the case. I can understand them being all fussed over if I have not yet paid of the subsidized phone, but since that is paid off, there must be a way out...

Or is there really none?

Sorry, you have to cancel at least 3 months in advance, or it rolls over for another year.

You should be able to get a new phone out of them, though (at the cost of signing up for another 2 years), but since they've already got you for a year, you might as well consider it.

If you don't want to consider it, cancel now (zum nächstmöglichen Termin) so you don't forget again.

Send you cancellation letter now, and then the contract will expire in about 6 months (if your description is correct.) You have to cancel in writing (no call or email) at least three months before the contract ends.

If you move out of the country, you might be able to end the contract. But other than that, or death, you are stuck for the moment.

Edit: Wot Jeff said.

Unfortunately, I missed the 30second window t-mobile seems to have given me at 3:43am one morning 6 months or so ago, so I recently rolled onto another year.

The cancellation window is actually 21 months, so difficult to miss...

Thanks guys. What a pity. It really amazes me there is no protection for the consumer here. I can understand when a phone is still under a subsidy, as the phone needs to be paid off so the telecom company doesn't make a loss. But when the phone is fully paid off, there should be laws protecting the consumer to allow them to switch carriers or cancel contracts.

The cancellation window is actually 21 months, so difficult to miss...

It may as well have been a 5 second window, because before the window closed, I didn't need to cancel the contract. But I did a month later.

Now, I am stuck with another 12 months which I can't get out of and I don't want and there is no law it seems to protect me as a consumer. I either pay a terribly high price for an old phone that barely works or sign a new two year contract that costs more for less data.

Then again, I don't really know much about phone contracts. In the past I always had a company phone, so this current contract I have is the only one I have taken out.

Is it possible that I could buy a new iPhone without contract say from the Apple store, and just swap my sim or will t-mobile not go for that either? Actually, it is an old 3Gs, so possibly the sim is smaller in the new phones. I guess when you never change these things, you never know.

You can use any phone you want with your contract. You'll need to order a new SIM card if you want the new iPhone - a nano-SIM. They'll probably charge you €10 for the new SIM, or you can try cutting it yourself. (There's a thread on here about that, but I'm on my iPad and can't link very well.)

^^ Interesting... So would they keep my old tarrif as well, which has far more data allowance?

Ordering a new SIM shouldn't trigger any changes to your contract, but you might want to check with another t-mobile user to be 100% sure. I really can't imagine it, but you never know.