Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Helping Syrian refugees in Nuremberg

5 posts in this topic

Wow...25 years in Germany, and I've realised I don't know how to go about this at all! (and not even sure I've posted in the right area, as there may be a central place for this...but I'm now based in Nuremberg, so here we go):

I have been very upset about the Syrian situaton, having had an absolutely fantastic trip there in 2007. I found the people so warm and helpful, and I have been watching the news with much sadness for months. And now they are coming here..well, some of them, not many, but a few.

And I would like to help, because I feel a personal tie to the people. (and although I don't really care about their religious beliefs, I would probably prefer to help muslim families, because there are already so many campaigns to specifically help Christian Syrians, as if they are somehow more worthy of help..and the Syrian muslims I personally experienced were not radical, not rejecting anyone else's belief, but helpful to and genuinely interested in anyone silly enough to travel around their country by themselves).

Where do I go? Who do I contact? Couldn't find anyone through google - I'm not looking for just a financial donation; I would prefer to donate time to help the people personally who have been located in the Nuremberg area. Going to authorities with them would be difficult, as I'm working an average of 11 hours/day and travelling an hour each direction...but helping with forms and just generally adapting...evenings, weekends etc..translation stuff (no, I don't speak Arabic, but English, French and German - and many of the Syrians I've met can communicate to a certain extent in one of those languages)

Anyone have a tip where I can start?

Thanks for the suggestions so far - I will definitely contact them, but not sure if they may not want just money and/or stuff (and having just been without income for 6 months and also just moved cities - for anew job, so money is now startingto come in again, but I've run up debts - I am a bit out of both!), and anyway, because of the strong feeling for how nice people were to me, I would like to (if possible) specifically help real people - meet them, talk to them, help them adjust, give them tips about lie here, teach them some German, formulate their CVs (god, are they even allowed to work?)...and stuff like that...but maybe some of these addresses can also give me tips!

Fantastic that you are motivated to reach out and offer help - from my experience, money and "stuff" to give isn't so important. Having someone willing to spend time, listen, encourage, help, sometimes maybe even cry with people that have come from chaos and hell in their home country means soo much to people.

Both Caritas (Catholic) and Diakonie (Protestant) are sure to have some refugee work that will probably be glad of a helping hand. In Nürnberg, the Asylothek seems to be quite active. From what I understand, it started out as a project to provide books and a small library in one of the refugee centers, but seems to have gone on to do the kind of hands-on stuff you are interested in. There's also the Internationales Frauencafé, which AFAIK is a bit more "religious", but also AFAIK doesn't push anything onto anyone and does a lot of good stuff.

And no, refugees are not allowed to work. :(