Shipping wine to US

10 posts in this topic

I'm a US citizen living in Germany. I'll be moving back to the US next summer. I have a moderate size wine cellar with bottles I have purchased here in Europe that I need to move to the US with me. My moving company I will be using will only put the wine in a crate for surface shipping across the ocean. In the middle of summer, this can "cook" the wine and ruin some nice bottles. I either to move the wine more quickly, like by air, or in a temperature-controlled crate the way many distributors do it. Does anyone have any experience with moving a wine collection back to the US? Any recommendations on businesses? I found one winery that will do it, but they charge 7.50 euro per bottle -- pretty steep.

The amount you can bring in, depends on the State you are going to, there may also be a customs charge per bottle to ship it back here and you may have to apply for a licence from the state you want to send it to.

We decided against it as it was just too much hassle and the price of each bottle of wine we wanted to ship was no more than about 30 Euro to start with, so we gave it all away and were really popular amongst our friends!! Have you thought about FedEx or someone like that??

Have a read of this too shipping wine to USA

Thanks, Nicole. I'm already familiar with wine shipping laws, but the link is helpful to have. My collection is too large and too valuable to give away before moving back. Fedex and similar companies will only ship wine into the US from a licensed dealer to a licensed importer. It's all rigged against individual consumers.

You can check a suitcase full of wine at the airport, but you'd have to account for it on the customs form and keeping it under weight. Another friend got a special wine box at a drink market, filled it with wine, and taped it really well, and they used that as checked luggage. Depending on the airline, it might be pricey, but you'd get the wine quicker, and a relatively climate controlled storage area. You would need to double check the policy with the airline. Nothing you choose will be cheap, but when I move back, I'm just going to use the wine as checked luggage like our friends did.

Yeah, I move wine that way some, but not practical if you need to move back hundreds of bottles.

Luggage shipping is not as good a deal in the last couple of years since airlines have doubled and quadrupled their extra baggage costs. An extra suitcase costs $100 to 200 on most airlines from Germany to the US. Assuming you use a 12-pack wine shipper, which you can get free from some wineries, that is $8 to $16 per bottle. Then you are subject to duty on arrival, which adds a little more, if CBP chooses to collect it. Weight is a not a problem -- A full 12-pack weighs less than 50 pounds.

Well you,ve still got time to drink them Cannot think of anything else to do with bottles of wine

Give them away to good homes...

Start drinking! I had a large collection that was stored [improperly] while I was in Germany. Nearly all ruined. The bottles that made the 3 month trip by container ship also didn't fare well. I used to be a hoarder, but really, wine is meant to be enjoyed, even if it's not at its 'prime'. I'd say it's dinner party time; share the love. cin cin!

Does anyone know what moving companies to use that will ship wine to the USA? I'm having trouble finding one that does. Thanks!