Using Deutsche Bank debit card on Amazon.de

12 posts in this topic

Hello, :)

First of all, I am not familiar with this forum's functions. So I beg your pardon. I may not have correctly specified the "subtitle", so you can change it if it's inappropriate.

OK, I am an international student; I have an Deutsche Bank blocked account. I have a debit card for this account, and I want to use it for shopping on Amazon.de.

I tried to use my Deutsche Bank account to purchase something on Amazon but I can't. They send me an e-mail which says they can't accept my debit card and so on.

How can I make my debit card work on Amazon.de? Do I have to contact Deutsche bank?

And what are the other cash payment options that I can use on Amazon? There are Amazon gift cards. But I don't know here I can purchase Amazon gift cards in Germany :(

Many many thanks :)

Do you also have it as a visa or mastercard? if it is just a debit card from a bank and not accepted as a credit card, you might be out of luck. Maybe you can get a prepaid card? Do they have them in DE?

If this is a Sperrkonto, it's a savings account (Sparbuch). Amazon require a giro for direct deduction.

I'm curious as to why the OP thinks he can use his Sperrkonto for shopping at Amazon, though. It's supposed to be for food and lodging.

But... this does say that you get an EC card with it the Sperrkonto and can use it to withdraw money and pay for goods up to a certain amount each month. You can't use the debit card at Amazon but the Bankeinzug might work.

I will give info about online shopping. I learnt (kind of) a lot about online shopping if you do not have a credit card in Germany.

You can buy a prepaid visa or master credit card ant charge your card and use it online.

You can buy amazon gift cards: 50€, 25€ available (perhaps even 10€ ones exist but I have not seen any yet)

You can buy paysafecard. Most shops sell it. But you have to make sure whether the website through which you want to make purchases accepts payments via paysafecard.

Or you can ask a friend with a credit card to do it and you pay him back with cash.

Or you can open a Paypal account with direct debit of your bank account. You can later add other payment methods to it (credit cards, other accounts etc).

I opened a Paypal account. I transferred some certain amount of money to my paypal account via online banking. But paypal does not seem to have received my money. I'll contact them and see if they can help.

You don't need to transfer money to the Paypal account.

Once your bank account is verified (read the procedure on their web site, they will charge you a small amount and will then ask you to input the transaction codes on the Paypal web site, to prove that you really have access to that bank account), you can set up a payment method by Direct Debit. That way, when you pay something with Paypal, the money is withdrawn directly from your account. If I'm not mistaken, you don't even get charged a foreign currency exchange fee, should that be the case (Deutsche Bank, for example, charges at least some 1.x euros for any credit card payment in non-Euro currencies, even if you buy something for 5 USD).

Not a fee per se, just the worst exchange rate in the industry, which amounts to the same thing at the end of the day. But you're right about not needing to transfer money to your PayPal account; in fact I'm not even sure it's possible, which is perhaps why it hasn't arrived.