BEWARE:TSA theft @ PHL airport security checkpoint

34 posts in this topic

I've never opted for the pat-down. I think I'll try it next time.

I'm also thinking: small light-activated video camera/recorder in the lid of the bag, or mounted in a corner at the hinge.

Gettin a nice warm wave of schadenfreude over here. Americans turn the US into a kind of kafkaesque prison camp to "protect their liberties" or defeat the nazipaedoterrorists or whoever the latest bogeyman is, then they get all prissy and whiney when the TSA treats them like cattle, fondles their kids and steals their stuff. I love all the tough talk about light activated video cameras and debates on what is just the *right* turn of phrase to use with the TSA to disagree with them while avoiding their wrath. Very funny.

You voted for it, don't complain when you get it. You'd be first in line to disagree with me and tell me how important it is that the state keeps us cosy and safe, so I say eat it up. Eat it right up. Maybe go to McDonald's and forget about it. Mooo!

The US is a prison camp? News to me. Anyway the complaints here are not about the rules, but about theft and juvenile behavior by people who are supposed to be professionals. With a bit less managerial incompetence, these issues are fixable.

I sure could go for a Big Mac though ;)

It happened to me too in newark airport back in 2004. They stole my watches.

I hate going to the USA solely because of the nasty TSA.

You voted for it, don't complain when you get it.

"The People", don't get a chance to vote on anything related to the TSA, This entire security crap was forced down our

throats by the Government. A corrupt govt. that doesn't give a shit what the people think. So before you spout more

BS get the facts straight.

"The People", don't get a chance to vote on anything related to the TSA, This entire security crap was forced down our

throats by the Government. A corrupt govt. that doesn't give a shit what the people think. So before you spout more

BS get the facts straight.

Unlike the North Koreans, USAnians did vote for their democratically elected government.

Why is a system where corporations and pressure groups buy favours and access from democratically elected politicians not just tolerated, but actually enshrined in the political process?

Did Mao, Stalin, Ho Chi Minh, or Genghis Khan engineer a coup in the USA and force this system on you?

Government of the people, by the people, for the people. Doesn't sound very dictatorial to me.

Let's hear from you frequent travelers - what do you do to safeguard your valuables from TSA thieves?

The TSA is one of the worse agencies in the US government in terms of how they manage their personnel and their security procedures and needs major reform.

This investigative report is shocking and so is this one.

I frequently air travel for work and leisure and so does my husband. We use to travel with checked luggage not anymore now only with carry-ons. I have become very adept at packing for a two week trip in my carry on and sometimes I even purchase a few things when I get to my destination. On occasion, I've even mailed stuff back to Germany so I don't have to check it in at the airport.

This helps us avoid long lines to check-in our luggage and prevents TSA from going through our luggage after the check-in. We get our boarding passes out of the machines. When we get to our destination we don't have to wait to get our luggage we can just leave the airport. When going through security, I don't go through the scanner until I see my carry-on going through the conveyor belt scanner. If for some reason they want to look into my carry-on then I'm right there.

Regarding wearing jewelry, you shouldn't have to remove necklaces or rings to go through security, they can scan those with their wand. If I'm wearing a belt I take that off and my shoes every time even before they ask me.

I travel world-wide 52 weeks each year. I've probably been to most major US airports and a few smaller ones, not to mention many international airports. I've been patted down (not groped) a few times. I've never lost nor had anything stolen. My plane has never been hi-jacked nor flown into a building. The TSA has over 55 thousand employees. I bet some of them steal.

I've heard passengers yelling at TSA agents. I know some agents have been hurt and killed.

The TSA job looks monotonous and thankless.

I'm glad I don't have to work there.

My mother mailed me a birthday gift from US to Berlin, but it never arrived. My friend mailed a xmas gift; it never arrived.

@Catjones:

Awesome. Well that's that settled then. No problem here. Catjones's stuff has not been stolen and apparently no one fondled her either.

So therefore I announce this problem solved.

Good night and God bless.

And a good flounce to you. Bye!

Here's a link to some very basic tips. Another tip I read was to refuse to take off jewelry and make them check it with the wand while you are wearing it.

I only had good experience with TSA (i suppose its depends who is on duty) i flew back from the DR had to get my suitcase and recheck-in at Newark.

BUT i had 2 bottles of rum in my hand luggage which i totally forgot about (I was running late for my flight)..when thought the x-ray and of course the guy said Madam we have to take your rum, I said to the guy "oh well my fault and i hope you enjoy them", I was having a joke with him, I told him don't throw them away, just enjoy the Rum with your friends as they were good bottles that i was talking to my friend in CA, told him the story about running late..he was so polite i could not believe it, said to me wait a min we will check them, low and behold he gave me back the bottles and said have a nice flight..No, I couldn't believe he did this; he even gave me his card and said can you write something nice about us to the TSA.

I am never having a smiley face when I go through these security checks, mostly give them a hard time (I ask them if they want me to strip as i will be happy to do it for them..ha-ha) i don't care if they grope me if it give them pleasure to grope an older women so be it, I never take of my jewelry why should i and you should not have to..

I flew out from Hahn last yr the women even put her hand over my boobs, lifting up my t/shirt, looking down the back of my pants, sour faced German cow and i was really mad fecking cow...I have never had this in another other airport in the world and i fly a lot..if i ever fly though Hahn again I will not allow this to happen again, i will demand to be searched in private (even though i joke about it above I will not allow this again), i was to shocked to say anything to this young bitch.

My sister had asked for a ring my late mother had been given for her 18th birthday by my grandfather. I had it in my carry-on bag before I departed from Cyprus to Germany via Sofia. Upon arrival it was missing. The only times I had my bag out of sight was when it was scanned at the airport security checks in Larnaca and Sofia.

There should really be some measures taken to make that scanning procedure transparent so that you don´t lose sight of your possessions.