Letter from landlord regarding Nebenkosten

16 posts in this topic

I did a basic Google translation of my landlord's letter. The translation is rough, but I think I can make out certain things. I just want to verify that the letter is telling me that my rent will be going up by 310 EUR per month starting on October 1. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

Die Nebenkostenabrechnung für das WJ 2012/2013 wurde von mir erstellt. Als Anlage übersende ich Ihnen Ihre Einzelabrechnung nebst Heizkostenabrechnung der Firma lsta.

Den in ihrer Abrechnung ausgewiesenen Fehlbetrag bitte ich bis 10.10.2013 auf das Treuhandkonto Nr. 123456789 bei der VOBA Region Leonberg e.G., BLZ 98765432 zu überweisen.

Nachdem lhre Abrechnung eine erhebliche Unterdeckung ausweist, ist eme Anpassung ihrer NK - Vorauszahlungen notwendig. Ich bitte Sie, Ihre mtl. Nebenkostenvorrauszahlung ab 01.10.2013 auf 310,00 EUR zu erhöhen.

Für Rückfragen oder bei Unklarheiten stehe ich Ihnen unter der u.g. Teiefon-Nr. zur Verfûgung.

This is the Google translation:

The utility billing for the WJ 2012/2013 was created by me. as an investment

I send you your individual account, together with the company lsta heating bill.

I ask the reported loss in their payroll up to 10.10.2013

Trust Account No. 123456789 to be paid when the VOBA region Leonberg eG BLZ 98,765,432th

After Their billing identifies a significant shortfall is eme adjustment

their NK - advance payments required. I ask you your monthly. Nebenkostenvorrauszahlung from 01.10.2013 to increase to 310.00 EUR.

For questions or for clarification I will be under the ug TeIephone no. of charge.

Also, what are the English translations for:

lsta

Nebenkostenvorrauszahlung

Thanks!

No, Google Translate is completely inadequate.

The landlord is asking you to increase your pre-payments for ancillary costs (Nebenkostenvorauszahlung) to EUR 310 per month, not by.

He also asks you to pay the shortfall amount (which you did not specify) that appears on the settlement notice by October 10th.

Ista is the company that reads the meters on your radiators.

(rough) translation of your mail:

I have compiled the settlement of ancilliary costs for the 2012/2013 fiscal year. Please find enclosed your individual settlement, including the heating invoice from Ista.

Please pay the listed amount due by October 10, 2013 to the trust account 123456789 at VOBA (VolkRegion Leonberg e.G., bank code 98765432.

Since your settlement shows a significant shortfall, it is necessary to adjust your ancillary cost prepayments. Please increase your monthly prepayments to EUR 310 effective October 1, 2013.

Should you have any questions or require clarification, please feel free to contact me at the phone number below.

No, Google Translate is completely inadequate.

google is not the problem this time...

Thank you! I appreciate the translation greatly.

I'll have to look at my contract again and find out how much of my current rent is for Nebenkostenvorauszahlung. He listed another value of -1300 EUR, so I guess that's how much I need to send to his account.

I just wanted to get a rough translation for now, so I can start transferring some money. My intention is to hire a translator in the next few days to help me translate the other attached documents and to communicate with the landlord. The other bills showed some total amount in the 15,000 EUR range, but I think this refers to the total for the building and not just my apartment.

1300 yoyos is a pretty hefty shortfall - it amounts to nearly a 50% hike on what you were paying.

That's usually a sign that the landlord either made a mistake or lowballed you with the ancillary costs when he made the contract, to make the full rent amount seem less than it really was (this is a fairly common trick among the less scrupulous landlords, unfortunately, because you have to make up the shortfall at the end of the year, as you have now discovered).

I'd suggest you join your local Mieterverein and have them check things out. If it's the former, they can advise you. If it's the latter, it's too late this time, but it's something to watch for next time.

I take it this is your first Abrechnung in this apartment?

That cannot be right.We pay for 110 sq metres €160 month and get something back every year.€310 a month are you living in a sauna?

I went to the Mieterverein, and they told me that I use too much oil - for water and heat. I replied that I liked my daily hot showers and that I like to stay warm at home, so that explained it. We looked at the numbers, and it looks like the new Nebenkosten increase will match my usage profile.

All is good now. I paid the landlord the balance and have adjusted my monthly rental fees accordingly. At least, I won't be in for a sticker shock next year.

It's not (just) the temperature you keep inside, but how you achieve it and how much you lose from it.

I was a bit surprised to see that my Nebenkostenabrechnung included a specific (de)multiplication factor for heating as the apartment is facing South (hence more sunlight and exterior warmth, hence less heat loss). It also depends how many exterior walls the flat has, what they are made of, what type of heating you have (how it is generated and delivered), how efficient your heaters are, if you air by completely opening the windows or just topside-opening them (as the newer plastic windows allow to, but which is a very bad thing for your heating bill) and so on...

I'm curious, at what temperature do you keep your apartment? I'm paying 150€ for heating for a 82sqm apartment, AFAIK it is gas.

Is it only for the heating or is it the nebenkosten? If it is the later then you have a good deal.

The nebenkosten for my 60m² apartment is around 200 out of which roughly 100 euro goes towards shared facilities like cost of housemaster, lift maintainance, building lighting etc. the other half consisist of water + warm water +heating. I figured out that even if I subtract the uses of water and heating, i will still be paying around 140 euro/pm as nebenkosten.

No, I'm paying 250€ for heating + nebenkosten. Of those, 150€ is for heating. From the opinions that I have been hearing, I should be suspicious of smaller values.

I'm curious, at what temperature do you keep your apartment? I'm paying 150€ for heating for a 82sqm apartment, AFAIK it is gas.

If it is really cold, I turn the heat up, so I feel comfortable. This means turning the heat up to achieve 24 Celsius as much as possible. However, I only do this for the current room. If I'm not in the bedroom, then the heater is set very low. My Nebenkosten includes water, heat, garbage, and parking spot. The parking spot is 100 EUR, so for the rest its 210 EUR.

Why not just turn the heat down and put on a sweater?!

NOT lounging around all day in your bath robe, can save you hundreds of euros a year!

24C?? - You expect a warm summer's day during the winter.

Oh wait... "From Florida". I guess that's why our "From Canada" house is sitting around 17C. :)

If you ever come visit, I'll get some extra sweaters for you.