Experiences with British Corner Shop - online

24 posts in this topic

Hi All,

anyone used British Corner shop online? http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/shop.asp?action=add

or does anyone on here regularly ship cheese and chilled products over here to Germany???

Regards

Neil

Hi All,

anyone used British Corner shop online? http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/shop.asp?action=add

or does anyone on here regularly ship cheese and chilled products over here to Germany???

Regards

Neil

I've used them many times, although not for cheese or chilled products. They pack stuff very well, you might think they've overdone the packaging, but you only need to try another company where things arrive damaged and then you think, oh right, BCS were doing it right. Shipping costs are very good. Basically you just keep adding stuff until you reach a weight/size threshold before it increases to the next one. If I recall correctly it was 30KG but I could be way off.

What I didn't like was how little control you have over what items they should delay your order for. You might think on a whim "oh I'll add a cadbury's creme egg to my order", because why not, and then you find the whole order was delayed because they were out of stock of that creme egg at the time. What I ended up doing was sending a follow up email saying these X items are my primary reason for this order, don't delay it for anything else that you don't have in stock. I also wanted to have control over which day it was sent, so I didn't have to stay in on a saturday, so I mentioned that in my email too. Things typically arrived 48 hours after sending if they sent on a Monday-Wednesday. I always said send on one of those days (as I work from home so I'm in thursday/friday). They're fairly good at responding to emails, but certainly not perfect.

A different company I like is : www.british-shopping.eu

if you keep an eye on aldi and lidl there are english weeks and the stuff isnt bad also some shops like real have an international section often it works out cheaper if you scout around.

<-@

Speaking of which, there's a thread that usually lets us know that the Lidl or Aldi British/UK/American weeks are about to happen. One of them (I forget which) is next week. You'll want to "watch" that thread to get notifications when it updates.

Packaging is always spot on, as mentioned above.

I have found delivery times to be a little long for my liking, and it is for sure nothing to do with the carriers.

It always seems like an age before the confirmation email comes to say it has been processed.

I never thought about any non-stock items, but I would have expected if that was causing a delay, they would contact me.

Prices are a little high on some items, but it is a case of "take it or leave it" for me, as I don't have folks that could send me packages.

I would order more,and more often if it was a little cheaper.

For me, it is every few months as a treat to myself.

I've used the British Corner Shop for both a standard delivery and a chilled delivery and found them to be very good. They have an extensive range of goods and their prices are competitive - except for the bottled beers. For bottled beers, check out what Drinks of the World.de have to offer as they will likely be cheaper.

There was a post recently about a website where you can order British cheese: http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=314030

Haven't tried it yet but sounded good.

For bottled beers, check out what Drinks of the World.de have to offer as they will likely be cheaper.

Thanks for that tip! My husband loves cider and it's impossible to find around here.

there's also this in Dusseldorf .. I think they do online orders too and they have a mobile van with regular times.

http://foodfromhome.de/

@vesparia, if your husband likes non generic cider, check out Ciderhof

It's the only place thus far I have found anything other than Strongbow/Magners etc for a "reasonable" price.

If he just wants strongbow though, there are bound to be other, cheaper places.

we ordered from foodfromhome.de a few times and found them bob on with delivery and price, and they have cider too!

Indeed small town boy, good shout. I have them bookmarked too but forgot to mention them!

I tend to only use ciderhof now because I recall them being ever-so-slightly cheaper and the selection upon my early orders were pretty similar. Will have to check them both out before the next special occasion pops up to see if anything has changed though, as it's always good to shop around ;)

God, I can't imagine how rough expat life would have been before Skype, niche internet shopping, and VPN's for international TV streaming...

Totally forgot to mention this yesterday, for a quick cider fix you can check out the Galleria Kaufhof in Alexanderplats for Merrydown (ok-ish), Aspall "draft" (very reasonable, and the best you will get in a standard shop here) and also Magners, Savanna, and a bunch of french cider (all shite).

The English shop köln

In my opinion the best Online UK grocery shop in Germany.A huge range of products for decent prices.Their Beer and cider range is extensive as well.I´ve even popped into the shop whilst visiting Cologne.The only draw back is they don´t ship frozen goods but I have Brit grocery Shops in both Gütersloh,Herford and Sennelager near me for that.

I wrote previously to say I was not impressed with the the time between placing an order and notification of dispatch. The actual delivery times after dispatch were in my opinion, OK.

That opinion still stands for normal boxes.

On the positive side, I got my first delivery of chilled items today, and I can honestly say, the packaging was way beyond anything I expected, and the dispatch and delivery times were spot on.

The insulated boxes were well sealed, everything was bubble wrapped, and there was a layer of bubble wrap and what I can only describe as oversized ice cube bags between every layer. Well impressed.

Edit: copy and paste below for a pic. I can't get it to show properly!

IMG_20140205_151702.jpg

To the person who complained about the delay in giving the shipping status of goods delivered then I have experienced the same. For the chilled delivery, it concerned me to the point where I contacted the BCS. It is not their fault, it is the fault of the courier (which is British Post Office owned). I have ordered ordinary shipments more than once and a chilled delivery once from BCS and had no problems with delivery although information about delivery seems to be rather late. The warning you get about a delivery can be as short as two hours. Again, it is the courier's fault.

As for the range of products they stock and perhaps the limited options for cider, then any customer is free to suggest improvements to their product line, as can be linked to from their home page ("Suggest Product"), and I am sure they will be happy for receive suggestions and to act on it if it can be commercially justified (I added a suggestion for bottles of Timothy Taylor Landlord a few seconds ago).

As an ex-pat, I hope this company can continue long into the future to provide ex-pats with the goods they lack and perhaps it would be worthwhile, for our own benefit, to give them every assistance to become established in this role.