Which prepaid SIM card has the longest validity?

28 posts in this topic

Update:

Received an SMS: They want to cancel my contract unless I recharge the card. I think I will move the number to Galeria now, their minimum recharge seem much lower.

Another option for those who hardly ever call is O2 0. It's not pre-paid (i.e., you have to provide a bank account from which the bill will be paid) but the monthly charge is €0 and you can cancel at any time at zero cost.

Advantages: it costs nothing, it never expires, and never needs to be recharged.

Same question but in 2022:

Which prepaid SIM offers the longest validity with the cheapest minimum refills to renew the validity period?

Especially interested in carriers that offer eSIM.

1 hour ago, hores said:

Same question but in 2022:

Which prepaid SIM offers the longest validity with the cheapest minimum refills to renew the validity period?

Especially interested in carriers that offer eSIM.

Have a look here:

On 28/08/2022, 22:47:17, PandaMunich said:

@pandamunich /anyone tried any of these?

Also just need a long term German number but will hardly ever get used hence reluctant to get monthly bill… even at €5pcm. 

I can read the list but looking if anyone has experienced using them …

If I was starting fresh I'd probably choose Congstar and load it 1x per year to be on the safe side.

I use O2 currently and only get 6 months each time I load it. They give plenty of warning so whenever I'm notified I give it a top-up the next time I'm at the supermarket check-out. I even had it expire once or twice but once I made another top-up I got back the unused credit which was there before the expiration date.

14 hours ago, wheatism said:

Also just need a long term German number but will hardly ever get used hence reluctant to get monthly bill… even at €5pcm. 

Please also look at the table on SIM card validity taken from this article: https://www-lte--anbieter-info.translate.goog/lte-news/prepaid-guthaben-gueltigkeit-uebersicht?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp  

637b73631e70f_2022-11-1618_20_21-Prepaid

Congstar has the additional advantage that despite Brexit, they still classify the UK as "EU", i.e.:

1. low rates when calling the UK from your Congstar SIM while you're in Germany
  2. you will not pay anything extra if you use a Congstar SIM while on holiday back in the UK, any package (data, minutes) that you booked on your Congstar SIM will also work in the UK.

For details, please read: https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/392468-can-i-use-a-uk-sim-card-in-a-german-phone/?do=findComment&comment=3939204