Taxi safety at midnight and fares

18 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

maybe its a bit stupid to ask this question because everyone knows Berlin is a safe city, but i do heard some people said dont go out alone at night if you are a girl. Im from hong kong, I just arrived in Frankfurt 2 days ago and will take the train to Berlin on Saturday, the train will arrive in Berlin at 23:55, it supposed to have a couch surfer to come and meet me but he stood me up. so now my plan is take a taxi from the Berlin hbf to a hostel. I will stay at the "Hotel-Pension Uhland", address is Uhlandstraße 142, Wilmersdorf.

so.. i want to know if its safe for me to take taxi at midnight? and also does anyone knows around how much it cost from Berlin hbf to the hostel? also im worried the taxi driver will charge me more..

Thank you so much!!

You'll be fine.

A taxi will cost you €15-20. There are only scattered reports of taxi rip-off merchants and they tend to congregate at the airport.

If you're worried about being ripped off, and you don't have that much luggage, you can take the S-Bahn (S3, S5, S7, S75) direct from Hauptbahnhof (platform 15/16, upper level) to S-Savignyplatz and take a taxi to Uhlandstrasse from there. That will cost about €6.

Berlin public transport is very lively at midnight on a Saturday.

but i do heard some people said dont go out alone at night if you are a girl. Im from hong kong

Well, everything in Germany is safer than i your own country.

also im worried the taxi driver will charge me more..

Well make sure you pick a German taxi driver...

wait a minute atomo, do you mean that the taxis aren't regulated so that all companies /drives charge the same?!?!

Yes there is a set price list. I think he means that if you get a turkish driver (I presume thats what he is alluding to by saying get a german) that they may ignore the tarrif and overcharge you. It is always possible that you will find a taxi driver who will try to take advantage of foreigners especially those that do not speak german, but it is not common in Berlin. I think you will be ok.

the driver's nationality doesn't enter into it. Things to look out for might be, whether the driver puts on the meter as soon as s/he starts driving, and whether they have/use a navigation system. If you have the luxury of choosing your driver, I'd always take the one with the Navi, since it means they have little to no intention of taking you the longest way around.

Personally, I would ask the price before getting into the taxi - if you agree the price beforehand, then there are not going to be any nasty surprises a the end of the trip, are there?

As for the taxi driver, I would choose a female one if there is one available.

female drivers exist in Berlin, but you might be waiting a loooong time before one comes around.

A driver is not necessarily a crook because they don't know the exact price of a trip. The running meter is your best bet against any kind of funny business.

Well, everything in Germany is safer than i your own country.

I have to disappoint you but your superiority complex has no grounds: Berlin is much more dangerous than Hong Kong if we compare crime statistics. So OP has a point by asking how crime situation in Hong Kong is comparable to crime situation in Berlin. I would say it is more or less the same. You can walk at night safely, watch for pickpockets.

While I would normally agree with it being safe (5-10 years ago) today it's a different story. With the EU changes more criminals are getting into Germany and committing more crime. For example in a small area outside of Dusseldorf a friend used a cab waiting outside a club, fully marked and registered. He only needed to travel 10 minutes but being he was an obvious tourist the cab driver drove him to a secluded location, robbed him of his money, documents and Iphone. Then dumped him a long distance from town in the dark. Don't believe me contact the Kaarst Police station who took the report and ask if this takes place. I had to accompany my friend to file a report and found out this is now common. The taxi driver does not record the fare or ride and there was no record of anything. Since that event It's happened in Frankfurt Am Main as well so travelers need to beware.

Polizeiwache Kaarst

Rathausstraße 5, 41564 Kaarst, Germany
+4921313000

18 hours ago, derk said:

Don't believe me contact the Kaarst Police station who took the report and ask if this takes place.

When did this happen? There are recent reports about an attempted robbery of a taxi driver in Kaarst but nothing turns up about this incident.

john_b, could it be that not everything that happens is in the news-and that what is there isn't necessarily true?

Well, sensible scepticism about all information (including internet discussion forums) is not a bad thing, but I was just curious as this story sounded a pretty alarming scenario. As it happens the OP has chosen not to reply, so we're all in the dark for the time being.

On 3/15/2017, 7:09:48, john_b said:

When did this happen? There are recent reports about an attempted robbery of a taxi driver in Kaarst but nothing turns up about this incident.

I imagine it's this incident. Taxifahrer soll Fahrgast überfallen haben. Of course what actually happened is not at all clear, but one interpretation could be that the "victim" was trying to get away without paying.