Sky (UK) Now TV box

144 posts in this topic

to view even FREE channels you need to give SKY a current and valid CREDIT CARD with a UK BILLING ADDRESS

You need a valid credit card and a valid UK address. The card doesn't need to be registered at the address, so you can make it up, so long as it is valid. My box is registered at 10 Downing St, London SW1A 2AA. In actual fact, after entering these details I aborted the registration, so the credit card never actually got stored and the box still works for FTA channels fine.

Has anyone had any joy with the ITV app since the update?

I'm on overplay SmartDNS using a DynDNS account I set up years ago - no problems with iPlayer - can even watch the footy live via a PC on both BBC+ITV & live tele via a raspbmc is ok, so set up is not the problem. Anyone any tips & tricks?

maffia,

What's the problem you have with the ITV App on the NowTV box? Did you try something before and it didn't work?

I have it installed and the catchup program I tried at the time worked fine but I've not really had a need to watch anything from it recently.

As AncientBrit said here TV via Internet I get the nice welcome ond then "Somethings gone wrong". As I mentioned, I have no problems on the pc, so I'm pretty sure it's not a overplay/unotelly Thing. Will set up a unotelly test account later and get back again with result

I have no problems on the pc, so I'm pretty sure it's not a overplay/unotelly Thing

You say that - but could it not also be that the PC handles the traffic slightly differently to the dumber Now box, and this is indeed the clash?

I have a UK VPN setup if you need to test (i.e. NOT using DNS route)....and PaulStep above seems to have had the same problems.

The Now box gets its data from different streaming servers to straightforward browser access on the PC, so if SmartDNS is not addresssing these servers correctly, but UnoTelly is then "reception" on the Now box can be different to the PC for each service.

Thanks peeps - unotelly does it. Have tried to find out whether overplay are working on this, but not found anything yet. Guess I'll just switch and be done

Bought one of these boxes in Newry while home in Ireland in August. I like it for the BBC Sport App. Being indifferent to almost all tv series, the rest is mostly uninteresting for me, but at that price, it is a nice addition. If it had live BBC and ITV, it would be something I'd have permanently plugged in. As it is, it is more of an occasional use thing for me.

Could anyone with a Now TV box check if they can watch the Sky Sports News App? I've got the Overplay DNS in a dd-wrt router and everything on the box works fine apart from this app. I get a "media type not supported" message when I try to use it. The app should be available with the free trial Entertainment Pass that I have.

ITV have now added their live channel feeds on their App on the Now TV Box. If BBC and the other channels were to do the same, it would be fantastic. This little box is getting better and better.

Just an interesting question to those who use the Now TV box in Germany. Some people are reporting (especially about the similar Roku box) that they now need to block Google's DNS servers on their router much like with the Chromecast. I have not seen this myself, but I was wondering if anyone here has experienced this.

Does anyone know how to get the NOW TV Box to work with a Speedport W724V Typ A Router from Telekom? Where do I change the settings? Does it work at all?

At the moment I can only get access to the apps/content that are not geo-blocked.

@KayL: yes it works. You'll need either smartdns (overplay/unotelly etc) or vpn & the settings can be entered on the router's web interface or the nowtv itself.

@KayL

For the NowTV box to work any VPN/SmartDNS settings have to be configured at the router level. There is no option on the NowTV box to enter DNS servers

I never had any success with entering smart DNS settings into a speedport (723 in my case) , ended up putting a tp-link router after the speedport. That way I was able to enter the DNS numbers and the dns refresh script.

@paulstep

Neither did I have any success with the 724 so far... Would you be able to tell me which steps to go through? Would I need to buy a device from http://www.tp-link.com.de/?