Sky (UK) Now TV box

144 posts in this topic

Just an update: I mentioned to ovbg that there were issues with the Now TV box, what I thought were bandwidth Problems at Sky's end turned out to be nothing more than a tweak required by Overplay, ovbg was able to persuade them to take a Look at the Problem, Now All catchup and live Shows Play flawlessly.

For more Info go to http://www.eyeondemand.com/2013/10/29/news-now-tv-entertainment-package-arrives/

Can't wait for GoT in April..

^^ Thanks Chocky, I'm going to have to upgrade my review on Now TV's Entertainment package as well, since their video quality has pretty much doubled from my last look at the service, and that includes the live streams as well.

As much as I'm a fan of Netflix and their business model, I have to admit that the Sky Entertainment package alone gives them a serious run for the money, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, True Detective, The Daily Show, pretty good value (I should really stop helping Rupert Murdoch get richer) for 4.99 a month..

£4.99 is their introductory offer, and there are ripples that Sky aren't keen on non UK viewers accessing their service (mainly due to bandwidth issues), so just hope it stays as good as it is.

It's one of those things that make a great "add-on" as well. Some people do a Netflix/Lovefilm (sorry Amazon Instant Prime Video UK) mix, or even Netflix/Watchever as although they have crossover content, their combined prices are still affordable and together they have enough unique content to make it worth while.

But a Netflix/Now TV Entertainment package could even be better value for money, as very little of Now TV's recent TV shows are available via Netflix, Amazon or sometimes even Hulu.

Combined, you get a lot of TV for less than the cheapest Sky satellite package even with Smart DNS added, which also gives you the live Sky channels as well. Then add 4oD, iPlayer, Demand 5 and ITV Player (if you have a box that has that).

The only catch with the Now TV box is that it doesn't have Netflix, but the Roku boxes do and they are not expensive either (catch, make sure you get the right Roku box as not all have 4oD for some odd reason, I think it is only the LT and Roku 3, but correct me if I am wrong).

there are ripples that Sky aren't keen on non UK viewers accessing their service (mainly due to bandwidth issues)

Because non-UK customers use more bandwidth than UK customers? Because the data has to travel longer distances? LOL

More YSL6 nonsense.

Although I wouldn't have put it as aggressively as you Krieg, I was was wondering about YL's comment myself. If Sky have an issue with people using the Now TV box outside the UK, it will be for rights reasons, not because they are using up bandwidth.

Politically, they do have issues with non-UK usage, but like Sky over satellite, a customer is a customer and therefore revenue, so they turn a blind eye to it. Sky have massively underestimated the take-up of internet based TV and don't currently have the infrastructure in place to accommodate the load - BBC had similar issues when they started up some years ago, and originally used a file-sharing-like protocol to spread the load, now changed. At £10 a time the sponsored Sky Now boxes have been very popular, both home and abroad and has created issues for Sky to adequately serve the additional real-time load imposed. Catch-up services on Sky boxes work differently - they download the content to the harddrive as an interim storage, so there is less of an issue when they can't serve data real-time.

So you are telling me that all BBC/ITV/Ch4 catch up services are Downloaded to a sky boxes hard drive "just incase you want to watch it?"

I dont think so!

That's not what I said. If you request a previous programme on a Sky box it is buffered to the harddrive. You can watch it online if you wish, but you don't need to - it becomes a "recording" in the planner. This is primarily for UK homes with slower or less reliable internet connections who can't watch online catch-up anyway.

Politically, they do have issues with non-UK usage, but like Sky over satellite, a customer is a customer and therefore revenue, so they turn a blind eye to it. Sky have massively underestimated the take-up of internet based TV and don't currently have the infrastructure in place to accommodate the load - BBC had similar issues when they started up some years ago, and originally used a file-sharing-like protocol to spread the load, now changed. At £10 a time the sponsored Sky Now boxes have been very popular, both home and abroad and has created issues for Sky to adequately serve the additional real-time load imposed. Catch-up services on Sky boxes work differently - they download the content to the harddrive as an interim storage, so there is less of an issue when they can't serve data real-time.

Do not try to make up your original nonsense just to save face. If SKY underestimated the success of their IP based solutions it does not have anything to do with non-UK customers. There is basically no difference between a bunch of unexpected UK customers and a bunch of unexpected non-UK customers, the SKY servers do not differentiate where the load is coming from because they cost the same in terms of resources.

And I seriously doubt SKY boxes will preemptively download more episodes of programs you watched before. Bandwidth is not for free so downloading shows just in case you want to watch them will be the dumbest business idea ever. So, to make it short it is more of your nonsense trying to look eloquent and versed but just nonsense at the end.

As two people have misunderstood my statement (granted the only two people who actually enjoy misunderstanding my statements), let me attempt to clarify. Sky is not downloading every programme to a Skybox on the off-chance you want to watch it -at no point did I state this in these terms, but if you want to half close your eyes, the maybe you could read it like that. I agree that would be dumb, and even I would not be so dumb as to suggest or imply it. As I am sure you both know, if a customer goes to the Sky planner and selects a programme from history, then that programme (alone) is downloaded to the box and can be watched directly (if the internet connection allows it) or at a later time. I could of course change my post to reflect this more clearly, but I'd hate anyone to gloat about my changing posts on the fly.

LOL. Now clarify how we intentionally misunderstood your statement saying that non-UK IP load is more expensive and UK load. But of course, you never said that.

Who needs SKY when you can see comedy here in TT?

You just will not accept that you are wrong... will you?

You clearly said

Catch-up services on Sky boxes work differently - they download the content to the harddrive as an interim storage, so there is less of an issue when they can't serve data real-time.

Which is completely different to what you have just said...

SKY'S NOW TV RAISES PRICES UP TO 40%

Now TV will increase its prices at the end of may, with the Entertainment Pass rising from £4.99 to £6.99 per month.

The Sky Movies pass rises by £1 to £9.99, the same price as the Sports pass, which is unchanged.

SKY'S NOW TV RAISES PRICES UP TO 40%

Now TV will increase its prices at the end of may, with the Entertainment Pass rising from £4.99 to £6.99 per month.

The Sky Movies pass rises by £1 to £9.99, the same price as the Sports pass, which is unchanged.

This is not strictly true. They were due to increase prices for their Movies/Sports/Entertainment passes from May 29th but they then announced that the price increase is "on hold" and there has been no further date set.

yes you are right but its strange that only place they have said this is on a forum ...

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Account-offers-promotions/Entertainment-Pass-4-99-per-month-introductory-period-until/td-p/148578/page/5

knowing my days with SKY in the 80s ..anything is possible ,it like TIVO was before can be but a stepping stone to full IPTV ..

this is also a important point before getting NOW ..

to view even FREE channels you need to give SKY a current and valid CREDIT CARD with a UK BILLING ADDRESS

it applies to any NOW box that is rebooted after a power down ...

Since when? I rebooted my skynow box yesterday and the CC assciated with it is Irish issued (but has a German billing address)