Sky (UK) Now TV box

144 posts in this topic

Google Search know-how?

Most Fritzboxes that do not support alternative DNS in the GUI can be tricked. You have to export the configuration, then manually edit the file with notepad and change the two DNS entries. Before importing the configuration file back you will have to deactivate the checksum check option otherwise it will be rejected, find a line with the text 'CFGFILE' and before that line add a line with "NoChecks=yes". And finally import the configuration file. And reboot the Fritzbox.

I do not know if this particular model of the Fritzbox can be tricked though.

Yes I did see that on google, but I don't really want to go telnet-ing onto my router if I don't need to and it also wasn't clear if it would work for my router or not. And if I mess it up then I lose internet and can't google how to fix it :)

As the router came from my ISP then I am never sure that it is a out of the box or if they have modified it, although I think it is rarer these days than it use to be.

Anyway, now I found the hidden D-DNS option and I have it working!

You keep confusing us by mixing DNS and DDNS up. But glad that you've got it working.

... Most Fritzboxes that do not support alternative DNS in the GUI can be tricked. You have to export the configuration, then manually edit the file with notepad and change the two DNS entries. Before importing the configuration file back you will have to deactivate the checksum check option otherwise it will be rejected, find a line with the text 'CFGFILE' and before that line add a line with "NoChecks=yes". And finally import the configuration file. And reboot the Fritzbox. I do not know if this particular model of the Fritzbox can be tricked though.

Unfamiliar as I am with Linux, I'd nevertheless like to try the hack you mention on my first ever Fritz!Box, a new 7490.

In my exported user configuration I see multiple DNS entries and multiple CFGFILE entries, so could you be a little more precise as to which you mean? Or refer me to your source? (Since you wrote Using MyFritz! as a dyndns for overplay "No idea about Fritzboxes, I never had one")

Re your "change the two DNS entries" I see:

(in 2 places each) dns1 = 0.0.0.0 and dns2 = 0.0.0.0

(in 2 places each) overwrite_dns1 = 0.0.0.0 and overwrite_dns2 = 0.0.0.0

(in 1 place each) dns1 = 192.168.180.1 and dns2 = 192.168.180.2 (< < < I don't recognise the 192.168.180.x addresses)

(in 1 place each) user_dns1_for_ipv4 = 0.0.0.0 and user_dns2_for_ipv4 = 0.0.0.0 (< < < I presume you mean these)

Re your "find a line with the text 'CFGFILE'" I see these possibilities:

CFGFILE:ar7.cfg

CFGFILE:tr069.cfg

... and these (I assume irrelevant) CFGFILE entries:

CFGFILE:wlan.cfg

CFGFILE:voip.cfg

CFGFILE:usb.cfg

Finally, since I see pieces of text separated by longish spaces rather than lines with line spaces in my user config file, what exactly do you mean by "before that line add a line with "NoChecks=yes""?

You have to use overwrite_dns

And to deactivate the checksum make it like this:

NoChecks=yes

CFGFILE:ar7.cfg

Here there is a guide with some screenshots: http://kre8tiv.de/dns-server-in-der-fritzbox-umstellen/

Thanks for your reply, Krieg, but I won't be going down that route after all because I'm a complete and utter idiot and failed to notice the relevant tab in the 7490 GUI to which you, YL6, indirectly referred in your response for which I'm extremely grateful. I blame my ancestors for this miserable failure of mine: clearly they forgot to pass on to me a sufficient number of the right combination of anti-brainfade genes.

I've now inserted my SmartDNS server addresses into the appropriate place within the 7490 GUI (Internet > Zugangsdaten > DNS-Server > DNSv4-Server > Andere DNSv4-Server verwenden) and out of curiosity had a look in the (newly-created) user config export file.

I had expected to find these addresses in the overwrite_dns entries based on Krieg's statement in Post 44, but I found them in the user_dns1_for_ipv4 entries as I had presumed in Post 43.

Everything works as desired, but just out of interest, any particular reason for this - er - discrepancy?

The bare box for a tenner does not appear to be available from high street retailers. From Argos at least you have to purchase a pass to one of the sky bundles to get the box. I think the only way to get a box for ten pounds is to order on line and have it delivered to a UK address.

Same experience here, I am back from London and I could not buy one. Quite disappointing.

I was home in Dublin and popped up over the border to get one and a Tesco hudl, neither of which are sold in the Republic of Ireland. Ended up paying 25 quid for the box with 3 months sky movies. If it's any good I might continue to use it. The great thing is there's no contract.

I bought a bunch of them for £15 each including a one day sports pass and shipping (only to a UK address, unfortunately) from Currys online service. I've no plans on using the sports pass, so it's £5 wasted, but it's still a good deal. They even include the HDMI connecting cable. BBC iPlayer in HD is stunning.Note that to actually USE an included pass you need to enter credit card details and a (presumably) UK address, but there's no need for any of this if you don't plan to access Sky services and only want BBC, Channel 4 and 5 catchup services. No ITV yet, but the rumour mill suggests it will come in a future update.

So I've got mine up and running and am very happy with it so far. I installed the PlayTo app from the Roku Channel Store and installed PlayToLite on my Android phone to see if I could send streamed CBS (Big Bang Theory) content to the NowTV box but while it looked like it was going to work, it bombed out each time. Has anyone got this PlayTo thing working with any online media?

murphaph

I've not tried it myself but it seems that quite a few people on the NOW TV Community forum have, with mixed results. This link should take you to a search of recent posts/threads about Playto

Thanks pjoyce. Checking that out now. even if this PlayTo doesn't work it's a cracking little box for a tenner. Blows my Raspberry Pi with XBMC and the buggy catch up plugins out of the water. The only thing I'd love to see added is the RTE Player, but that's extremely unlikely so long as the box is only sold in the UK (strangely however when you create a Now TV account the only 2 countries where the credit card billing address is supposed to be in are the UK and RoI...weird, but maybe Sky standard practice as many Sky services are legitimately available to RoI customers).

Should have bought a second one...next time.

Has anyone else got problems streaming Sky Movies? It's intermittent for me...watched one movie right through this morning without any buffering but wanted to watch The Manchurian Candidate there this evening and it was buffering incessantly. iPlayer & 4od work flawlessly so it's not my (50Mb) broadband. Demand 5 is unreliable but so is their website streamed content for me so not a box issue probably.

I tried the hidden menu trick and disable network pings but didn't really help.

Just thought I'd revive this thread as I picked up a NowTV box during my trip the UK over the weekend. A reminder: you don't have to purchase a Sky subscription to get the box, you only need to ensure that you order the box online from a UK IP address, if you can't be in the UK or you don't know anyone who lives there who can do it for you, pay for a 1 month subscription to Overplay's VPN service.

I got the box home (here in Germany), plugged it in, ensured that Smart DNS was recognising the router's last given IP address, and.. the results have been disappointing. None of the Sky (Entertainment) subscription products work, i.e. watch again or live channels, they all play for about a minute, in which time, all video seems to be 'buffering', then quits completely.

The same goes for NowTV on Safari for Mac OSX and the iOS app, although oddly, the 4OD and 5 on demand players on the NowTV box give better picture quality than the Samsung Smart Hub app players on my Samsung Smart TV.

I have submitted a ticket to Overplay detailing the problem, I also mentioned it to ovbg, whose blog Overplay seem to pay attention to, he is also testing it out, and has experienced similar issues.

I will keep you all updated.

I haven't tried it yet, but I am assuming it will work fine because the issue has only so far occurred with Sky's subscription products.