Sky (UK) Now TV box

144 posts in this topic

Hi ovbg - if your post #19 was in reply to my #18, do you mean that the Sky Now TV Entertainment package at about £5/month that you're testing doesn't include Sky F1?

Edit: No need to answer - I decided to stop being too lazy to google it for myself and so I already know the bad news :ph34r:

Well, 4oD have now been added to this little box! Wow.

No seriously, wow. It works great already, at least under Overplay (though being a Roku clone, the Smart DNS needs to be set in your router).

Video quality, at least initially appears lower than what 4oD offer via the Samsung Smart Hub, but it is still pleasant enough. This makes the great little £10 puck one of the best UK television streaming boxes, with only the ITV Player missing of the big FTA networks.

A review of 4oD on this device is available at Eye on-Demand, along with reviews on the platform itself and the other working services.

I am going to London next month, maybe I will buy a couple of them to try. 10 pounds is not much anyway. If anyone in Berlin wants one let me know.

ovbg

Which power supply did you get (to replace the UK provided one) for your NowTV box? Any recommended places in Munich?

I go back to the UK in a couple of weeks and may get one to try

Hi pjoyce, I simply used a good quality socket converter. The one I have is a good, solid and snug fit and since we have near enough the same voltage as the UK, and I had one spare, I just used this.

If I were to buy one, and good 5.2volts, 1.5amp power supply should do the trick. I don't know any place in Munich, but I tend to buy these things at Conrad or Saturn and I guess Munich will have both stores.

Just be aware that you will need:

a: A Smart DNS service that works with this device. I don't know about others, but Overplay works for me.

b: A router where you can manually set your DNS servers. You will need to be able to log in and set it. Some ISP supplied routers may block this, but most are ok.

I know Argos, Curry’s, John Lewis and PC World sell these boxes in the UK, but if you have relatives there that you know you will visit, you could just save yourself the trouble and order one now direct from Sky. They offer free delivery.

In any event, you do need to create a Now TV account with Sky. This doesn't mean you need to subscribe, and I don't recall getting any spam from them either, but you will need this when you set up the box.

Oh, one last thing. When I plugged mine in for the first time, Overplay was already configured on my router and working. I don't know if this is important during the set up stage, but it may be.

Think I'm gonna pop over the border to Northern Ireland when I go home at xmas and pick one of these up. I currently use xbmc on a raspberry pi with the plugin for iPlayer but of course 4oD hasn't worked in months since CH4 changed the stream. Can't really go wrong for a tenner I suppose. Already have overplay anyway.

Hi ovbg, I am also very impressed with the Now TV Box and wish to install one ready for the holiday season. I can get an address + delivery from UK but I am unsure about the Smart DNS. Why do I need one? You make reference to Overplay but this is a subscription service....are there any free Smart DNS?

I have a Fritz Box router and I can log in and set it. But I am unsure why and how. Plug n Play was made with people like me in mind....any clarification or simplification of the process greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Streaming material from UK sources, including BBC and Sky requires your media player to have a UK based internet ("IP") address. SmartDNS and similar services fool the content provider into thinking you have such an address. There are free services offering similar facilities but they tend to be biased towards streaming from a PC rather than a dedicated client, and are not very reliable. Given that SmartDNS costs under 4€ a month (even less if you sign up for 12 months) and can be cancelled at any time, it hardly breaks the bank.

^^ To add to what YorkshireLad6 clarified, configuring on your router is very easy, and as I also use a Fritzbox router, I can point you exactly to the right page. Once you know where it is, it will take less than a minute to make the configuration.

There is one other thing you will have to do. As a company like Overplay needs to check who is a customer, they do this by assigning your external IP address to your Overplay account. Unfortunately, many ISPs in Germany change your external IP address each day, so you may have to reassign this on a daily basis. It is really easy (just visit a specific Overplay webpage), but it can be easily forgotten.

I have automated this process via another feature that the fritzbox router (and many others) offer, but it is not as plug and play. Still, there are easier ways to partially automate it.

There are also other companies that work like Overplay, but they all support different platforms. I can't speak for the other services as I only use Overplay, but I can say Overplay supports the Now TV box and many services such as the Now TV Entertainment/Movie Pass, BBC iPlayer, Demand 5 and 4oD.

@ovbg, could you please give a bit more detail about how you have automated the "renewing the IP-address process" with Overplay on a fritzbox?

7390 if it makes a difference!

Thanks!

Sure, I am still using a Dynamic DNS service configured on my 7390 and at Overplay. Instructions can be found here.

I have a fritz box 7112, and it seems to me that this does not support Dynamic DNS. Has anyone had any luck on this router with overplay or other services?

Otherwise, what are suggested new routers which support DDNS?

This link may help:

http://www.strongvpn.com/vpn_routers_new.shtml

Not the exact answer....but 100% any routers on that page work, and if you want the braindead solution....then you can order from them as well.

^ Which its should be pointed out, can't actually be done on a Now TV box. This box requires a router where alternative DNS servers can be configured (as fathert also pointed out, not to be confused with Dynamic DNS which is entirely different)

The 7112 does support DDNS, but it doesn't support alternative DNS servers, so you will need to included these at individual device level.

Yes actually I did manage to find it! It was in a different sub menu to where I expected, and I obvisouly misunderstood the statement on AVM's website which I thought said that it wasn't possible.

^ Which its should be pointed out, can't actually be done on a Now TV box. This box requires a router where alternative DNS servers can be configured (as fathert also pointed out, not to be confused with Dynamic DNS which is entirely different)

Yes, thats a pity. I might look at another router anyway which can support this for the future, but there is no hurry.

The 7112 does support DDNS, but it doesn't support alternative DNS servers, so you will need to included these at individual device level.

Google Search know-how?

Most Fritzboxes that do not support alternative DNS in the GUI can be tricked. You have to export the configuration, then manually edit the file with notepad and change the two DNS entries. Before importing the configuration file back you will have to deactivate the checksum check option otherwise it will be rejected, find a line with the text 'CFGFILE' and before that line add a line with "NoChecks=yes". And finally import the configuration file. And reboot the Fritzbox.

I do not know if this particular model of the Fritzbox can be tricked though.