Can I renew my US passport at bremen consular

4 posts in this topic

I read on the link for the Consular Agency Bremen (http://germany.usembassy.gov/acs/bremenacs/) that it's possible to apply for a US passport, but it was not clear whether that includes passport renewals. If it is possible, it says I must bring this DIN-5 envelope, and that they can't take passport photos there. Are the photos from the photo machines appropriate for the US passports? (there is one at the HBF, for example).

If I can't do it in Bremen, does that mean the only other option is Berlin?

many thanks

The rules can change from time to time so any questions can be emailed to them. They are usually pretty quick in response and in detail. I got mine renewed in Munich but that was two years ago. I would assume you could in Bremen. First make an appointment. Then buy the envelope with stamps. Then take a passport photo and bring it to them.. Again any questions you have will be answered by them if asked to them.

You will find that they no longer do passports while you wait. It will be mailed to you anyway so why bother to go and stand in line (not sure about Bremen) but Frankfurt is no picnic. I went there and filled out all the forms in person, waited around after paying the cashier, back to the window to be told that they will mail it to me in a few weeks. 4 hours wasted. Might as well just send it in by mail in the first place.

The photo machines in Germany are generally not suitable. On the US Embassy website are the instructions in German for a photographer to do it properly. I found one in Heidelberg that did 4 pictures for 12 euros.

Sad to note the Bremen Consular agency is temporarily closed... now we have to travel to Berlin for passport renewal.. with all 3 kids in tow :(

Anyone have experience with this? Tips? Thanks!