Refrigerator Repair advice

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, I was away from my apartment for 2 weeks and on returning observed that my refrigerator was not working. It is part of the EBK and brand "Baucknecht" . Can any one advice me any mechanic who can come and repair the refrigerator.

Regards,

BSD

When I go away for 2 weeks I empty and turn my fridge off for safety and economy.

Before calling a mechanic out, to do what will then be a relatively expensive repair, I'd check these basics first.

In what way is it not working?

Defrosted and wet inside - motor running, but not cold - warm and no motor sounds - interior light not coming on?

Have you tried plugging something else in to the fridge power socket? Does everything else in the kitchen work?

Do you have your own fuseboard or safety cutout switch panel, or is that in the landlord's part of your building?

Kitchens do have separate fuses to the rest of the rooms. Could someone else have switched one of them off?

Maybe an electrician had worked in the building and forgot to turn yours back on.

A power surge could have tripped a fuse too.

Could someone else have adjusted the refrigerator temperature control knob - maybe beyond the off point?

Please check all these points and post your results. If I see you have had no luck I will find and post some links to a UK refrigerator repair site which has very good trouble-shooting tips and advice, even for Bauknecht machines. Whether you do have to call a mechanic or can manage by following some of the website advice you will need to know more than the brand name. Try to find the ID panel or label (usually inside on the sidewall, maybe hidden beside or below the salad drawer) and make a note of the Model Nr. Serial Nr. and any other tech info and post that here too.

I've got links bookmarked for Bauknecht repair services in Germany too, which I will post if/when you've run out of options.

2B

Dear 2BN2B,

Thanks for the valuable inputs from your side, the Refrigerator seems to be completely off, also since it is part of EBK, i dont see any power plugs to fiddle with. I have written to the owner, unfortunately for me who is currently on Holiday.

Regards,

BSD

That's a bit frustrating, but I definitely would not call a repairman out at this stage as, if it is a power supply problem, it's very likely that he wont be able to do anything other than write you a bill for his visit.

All European refrigerators are connected to the power supply by means of a plug and socket. Not seeing where it comes out of the fridge may not mean you can't locate it though. I replaced my EBK fridge a few months ago and relaid the new plug along the same hidden path. In my case that was through the back panel up to a hole in the cabinet top where it reached the limit of it's cable length but, just as with the old one, I plugged it into an extension cable which was lying on the next cabinet top. The cable lead was run down behind that wall cabinet until it reappeared beside the double socket for it and the cooker extractor hood.

Try looking above the refrigerator and wall cabinets or in the inside backs of the other floor or wall cabinets to see if there is any cable. It may be that the socket is inside a cabinet although that shouldn't be located in one below the sink. If you can locate the socket then test it's power supply by plugging a lamp or hairdryer in. If you do have power then post the Bauknecht ID info and I'll see what ideas the online techs have for you.

If you don't have power ask your building neighbours (if you have any) where the fuse panel switches (Strom sicherungs schalter) for their flat are located. If they are in the individual flats you may be able to see which one is not in the same position as the others and switch it over yourself. They should be ID marked by the installing electrician - "Kuche steckdose" maybe. If your neighbour tells you that you can't access them because they're in the landlord"s locked cellar then you'll have to wait for his return. However that is a very unlikely scenario because, if he is a reasonable man, he knows all tenants should have access to them for safety to switch off in an emergency in case there was an electrical storm or flood or any electric equipment caught fire.

2B

ETA: In a past life I bought, transported and sold thousands of ex-US Army household fridges and quite a number were in need of repair or servicing yet in my experience it's quite unusual for a refrigerator to fail without symptoms. For it to have no sign of life or light points directly at a power supply issue, unless you are aware of any prior poor performance issues.

So I checked the fuse and that doesn't seem to be the issue and also feel that I hear the feeble noise that it starts but then trips in few seconds ( just a hunch). I have also located the number for identifying the ref.. 8550 047 01020 and IVU 1343/0. Can you let me have an idea how much is it going to hit my wallet for a technician to come and have a look

Please answer these questions.

Did you find and test the power outlet for the refrigerator?

Was the interior light working before you went away for 2 weeks?

Does the interior light come on when you open the door now?

If not, then please take out the bulb and examine it to see if the metal lighting filament is broken, or if there is any sign of blacking or cloudiness on the glass bulb. If the bulb is intact with no evidence to show it has blown or burned out then it almost certainly indicates no power supply to fridge. If the bulb is burned out or blown AND your compressor motor is failing to start then it MAY indicate an external power surge has blown a starting control capacitor.

Without knowing these kind of details my chances of having any idea about wallet pain are gleich null. Maybe the original installer used 2 or 12 screws to secure it - which parts need to be tested - if those parts need more or less time to access - then the mechanic needs to return with parts after diagnosing the fault - or he may just need to change a small clip-out part and give it a slap ... all too unpredictable for even the most experienced professional until he is on the spot. From this distance I couldn't begin to predict the odds on any of these variables. How long is a piece of string?

Different parts may cost more, take longer (more AW) to change, or have to be obtained from the depot or the factory. Too many variables to hazard a guess but, I dare say it will cost enough to make your eyes water, but you will hopefully have forgotten exactly how much it was in 2 years time.

A recent example of on-site tradesman's costing. In May a TTer in Munich asked for my advice on a plumbing issue. His kitchen sink wouldn't drain and, until I told him how, he couldn't get the U-bend free to clear it. The blockage was beyond the kitchen wall, so with translation and supplier location assist he found a cheap hand-operated spiral and tried to clear it. Unfortunately it was still out of the reach of the tool. I found a company near him with specialized inspection and clearance tools including a powerful electric driven spiral which did the job. Apart from the good news that our friend's liability insurers had agreed to cover the cost the final message stated:

The bill from Rohr-Profi arrived:

- Snaking the pipe: 83,00

- Setting up the snake: 39,00

- MwSt: 23,18

- Grand total: 145,18

Total time on-site: about 35 minute

In your case, from arrival to departure on-site, without doing more than taking your EBK Refrigerator out "having a look" and reinstalling it may take longer than 35 minutes. To repair it (later) he would have to take those same steps. Also most tradesmen have to charge a trip fee both ways from their depot plus their time on-site in AW (work units) of 20 minutes. (21-39 minutes = 2x AW, 41-59 = 3x AW etc.)

Having a cost estimate done for a car repair usually involves paying 50 - 100 Euros which is deducted from the final bill should the garage do the job. As one can drive a car to another workshop get a comparative quote and then decide which to use this arrangement makes economic sense for both parties. Having a mechanic come just to give a cost estimate on a domestic appliance never involves a deductible fee, but may double all but the parts price of the total repair bill.

However it may be very much in your own interests to take exactly, and all, the investigative steps I have suggested and to answer my questions accurately. For example, should it be the case that the refrigerator has suffered damage due to a power surge or the actions of an electrician hired by your landlord or a neighbour you may be able to claim the costs against their, or through your own, insurers. You may also be better off by being forearmed and able to defend your own position should your landlord return and try to blame you if his Bauknecht has suffered damage beyond the value of economic repair.

2B

If the kitchen was in when you moved in to the accomadation then its the landlord that has to pick up the repair bill

That's probably true Mik, but in this weather I imagine the OP would like to be able to use his refrigerator sooner rather than have to wait for their landlord to come back from holiday and authorise action.

On the other hand, this being Germany it is usually better if the tenant acts prudently, eg. by taking all reasonable steps to mitigate costs. TT, in common with many German forums, has enough cases of dispute where landlords were either refusing to acknowledge their liability or blaming the tenant's lack of due care and attention.

2B