Using German credit cards in the UK

56 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just got back from the UK, and had immense problems paying for things with my german mastercard as it does not have a chip and pin thing.

Mastercard UK. I could no longer use a swipe only card on security grounds.

Mastercard DE "Germany is not subscribing to the chip and pin system". I could have a card if I wanted, but it wouldnt be activated and wouldnt work on a reader.

Thankfully, I could still get money out the bank machine

One thought springs to mind, if they are doing away with the magnetic strip in favour of the chip and pin, how is anyone going to buy anything when they visit for the world cup.

If anyone knows anything about this it would be greatly appreciated, so we can change all of our company cards to the new format. Another of the fantastic range of German financial services. :rolleyes:

if they are doing away with the magnetic strip in favour of the chip and pin
in Britain...

how is anyone going to buy anything when they visit for the world cup.

you mean they would be buying something in Britain in an attempt to console themselves for turning up in the wrong country? :blink:

Or maybe I missed something? EDIT actually ok I think I understand, you mean how are the Brits going to buy anything when they visit Germany, sorry. I think the chip and pin cards still have a magnetic strip

Good point though to highlight that UK has moved almost totally to 'chip and pin' recently - which could potentially cause problems for visitors to Britain I guess...including me actually, hmm :huh:

The Chip & Pin cards that I have from the UK also have a magnetic stripe and I have no problem using them in German cash machines. In fact, they've been using Chip & Pin in Germany for years.

I think he meant how will the Brits pay for stuff in Germany if they no longer have a stripe on their cards.

Anyroad, this is worrying stuff.

Will I have to start carting shedloads of cash to Marks and Sparks on my annual stock-up-on-knickers shopping spree? :unsure:

@ jeeves - when their profits started going down the swanney - when was that? was it 1997?

somewhere around that time, can't remember exactly when, though

@Topsy. Just had a look at my Nationwide debit card, and it has a chip but no magnetic stripe and works fine over here.

Not every retailer has fully adopted this system yet. Many are using a discretionary 3 month signing period according to the BBC news this morning.

It will be a pain in the arse when all shops are doing it though.

From chipandpin.co.uk

here will be a number of important exceptions after 14 February. After this date the following cardholders will continue to sign:

* cardholders who have an old style chip and signature card and were awaiting a new style chip and PIN card

* cardholders from overseas who have an old style chip and signature card

* disabled cardholders who have a chip and signature card

So, lets see how this all works out in the UK

My UK Visa (Barclaycard) has both. Won't the pin work here in the shops, don't they use the same reader as for the EC Cards? Never buy anything from shops with my credit card, I only use it on the interwebby.

From today the fourteenth of February banks and acquirers in the UK in Ireland are refusing to accept transactions that are verified by signature or mag stripe where the retailer(merchant) has Chip & PIN enabled equipment. As a consequence most large retailers who have C&P have been refusing any transaction by swipe in preparation for today when the acquirer will not authorise a transaction unless you verify it by PIN. Retailers who do not have chip & PIN equipment can still use the swipe but this is an effort to phase it out because customers when given the option prefered to verify their transaction by signature. The take up of C&P by ordinary punters has been very low even though the banks would have you believe that the system will save millions in fraudulent transactions.

I am surprised to hear that Mastercard DE says "Germany is not subscribing to the Chip & PIN system" as chip & PIN has been here for years. Perhaps they are not subscribing to it being compulsory to verify by PIN like it is in the UK. Both Visa and mastercard in the UK have been on screaming to me about using my PIN here rather than just using the swipe but since they do not process the transaction here they cannot enforce this in Germany.

Fact 1. You can still use a Chip and PIN-less card in the UK.

Fact 2. IF your card is Chip and PIN you have to use the PIN facility as of today if making a purchase in a UK shop that has Chip and PIN equipment.

Fact 3. Germany already has Chip and PIN for debit card transactions in many shops and this will be expanding.

Fact 4. German credit card issuers haven't gone to Chip and Pin, yet.

Clear as day, dunno what the panic is about.

PS The sub title to the thread is inherent WRONG and I'd nicely suggest the mods change it.

I personally love that I have German bank cards with "MAESTRO" written on - but they are not welcome online because they do not have a CIC number on the signature strip, and do not work therefore as a debit card. I assume these also do not work as a debit card in the UK - numbers are not raised etc?

Still at least it is slowly coming together, and we only have 1 main currency in Europe which is cool. Imagine going skiing for the day and having to change to a load of dogy Schillings.

I think the subtitle is right given your four points. If I go into a store in the UK today which has Chip & Pin enabled equipment and try and use a mag stripe credit card, no matter where it has originated from, it will not be processed by the acquirer. The store staff will have to ring the acquirer and request a transaction by signature verification. if they refuse and it is an entirely arbitary decision then you will have to finalise your transaction by another form of payment. Exactly why the topic starter had trouble with his German credit card while in the UK.

Fact 4. German credit card issuers haven't gone to Chip and Pin, yet.

my German issued VISA credit card has a PIN. I have never had to use it here for any transaction but i was issued one. I suppose it only works for cash withdrawels.