Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Economist: Survey of Germany

16 posts in this topic

post-16-1139817600.jpg
This weeks Economist has a very large survey of Germany which is worth a read. The intro is available without subscription from the Economist site: Waiting for a Wunder.

It looks like the World Cup is going to need to bring a lot more to Germany than "just" a trophy.

IF YOU are visiting Germany this spring, watch out for footballs. They are everywhere, on posters, buses or entire buildings, even though the World Cup which the country is due to host this summer is still four months off. A German firm is even wrapping the giant globe atop east Berlin's landmark television tower to make it look like a football. If marketing departments had the technology, a German daily recently joked, they would project a football on to the moon.

Nor is it just marketing people who are getting excited. For the duration of the tournament most German states will liberalise shopping hours, and the government is even thinking of deploying the army around stadiums for the first time in the Bundeswehr's history. Germans, it seems, are taking the World Cup extremely seriously—and not just because most of them are passionate football fans. “The last time the world paid so much attention to Germany was 16 years ago when the [berlin]Wall came down,

I've already got my copy (on subscription) and will be reading this on my way to work this week.

Noticed one article thats about how the education system isn't as good as it should/could be, so that looks interesting for starters.

Just a quick note after reading the part on the link once through. There isn't much differentiation between regions. If you've ever lived, worked or travelled around Germany, you'll know that there are massive differences.

"The risk is that Germany's labour market, in particular, will end up “Americanised

there's a section on the low birth rate and various related issues (such as the education system). It also praises Merkel's start as Chancellor

Last year the Economist wrote something positiv about the German economy (and i had no idea where he got this idea from as ie birth rates were low then too, unemployement high etc!!) and this year something more critical... I have not read the articles (i have to admit, i don't like the Economist and therfore have stopped reading it) and i am not going to because they are not telling anything i don't already know. i think there is "politics" behind these articles.

maybe they're not telling you something you already know, but they point out some of the biggest hurdles to making germany more successful. it is good tehy pointd out the immigration & education angles (two things i am personally passionate about) & the success of jena, in eastern germany.

it's a good read cause it's in english, meaning for those who live & work here & cannot read the süddetusch to save theirl ives, go out and buy it. it'll help you understand a wee bit more about where your home away from home is.

EDIT: but they don't say anything about munich, but frankfurt & stuttgart, bonn & köln (although not very favorably).

The Economist is often banging on about the need for Germany to liberalise it markets etc etc, a lot of the survey was just repetition of that.

@ elfenstar:there are so many english papers you can read (especially online)

Just read in "Wirtschaftswoche" that the Economist survey of Germany was singlehandedly written by one German journalist from the Berlin office of The Economist, who had three weeks for the task. I thought they had a team of economists working on surveys like this one, but apparently it's much more low-key and journalistic than that. Disappointing.

written by one German journalist from the Berlin office of The Economist

The Berlin office. Well, then it's got to be crap, eh? ;)

Ok, have you all seen the latest cover of The Economist? :D I really grinned about this.

post-2786-1152609440.jpg

Yes. Includes a book review on Kamikaze pilots, which I found to be very interesting. :) I also enjoyed reading the article on sleep.