Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Capybara for a pet!

7 posts in this topic

Have any of you seen this video?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/21/gary-the-capybara_n_3480626.html

How would one get a capybara here in Germany?

And, I wasn't able to post in the "Special" subsection. Any reason?

I saw an article about that in another paper and I have to say that he's pretty cute.

I normally go for gerbils. I wonder how difficult a capybara would be in comparison?

The capybara (Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris) is the largest rodent in the world, followed by the beaver, porcupine, and mara. Its closest relatives are agouti, chinchillas, coypu, and guinea pigs. Native to South America, the capybara inhabits savannas and dense forests and lives near bodies of water. It is a highly social species and can be found in groups as large as 100 individuals, but usually lives in groups of 10–20 individuals."

"Adult capybaras grow to 107 to 134 cm (3.51 to 4.40 ft) in length, stand 50 to 64 cm (20 to 25 in) tall at the withers, and typically weigh 35 to 66 kg (77 to 150 lb), with an average in the Venezuelan llanos of 48.9 kg (108 lb).["

So they probably don't do well in s a single capybara household, nor are they really an apartment-sized pet.

Coypu's were accidently introduced to East Anglia in the UK, they escaped from the fur farms they were being bred in, and caused considerable damage to the area. They bred like mad and had no natural predators. They became such a nuisance that the authorities had to hunt them to extinction. The same thing could happen if people were to bring Capybara's here, some would escape or be released by people who get fed up with having a giant rat in their apartment, so hopefully you are not allowed to bring them here.

They should have introduced anacondas and alligators into East Anglia which would eat them all up.