Tesco to launch in the USA

79 posts in this topic

The attitude to the consumer just isn't normal here.

hear hear!!!

I still do love living in Munich though, tons of totally fab things going on here I just find the service industries attitude appauling!

Actually I find the service here quite good in places. It seems to be getting better.

I went and bought some ice cream the other night (I had to, long story) and I must admit the levels of service were far above and beyond the call of duty. I was really pleasantly surprised.

And the people in my local Tengelmann are always very nice to me.

Not sure what the German service levels have to do with Tesco, anyway.

If Tesco come over here they'd employ Germans to work in the shops, so I doubt you'd really see that much difference, would you?

I wish there was one shop here where I could get everything instead of rushing round different places in my breaks.
What do you mean by 'everything'? Foodstuffs or other things? It sounds like we are still in the days where you had to go to butcher, baker, greengrocer etc one after another

And which HELPED me with all the packing

I must say I'd rather pack myself

maybe its my semi-indifferent attitude to most things in general, but I can't get worked up about this issue. I don't have a problem with the supermarkets to be honest. And as Topsy says, I'm fairly happy with service too - only very rarely to I encounter serious rudeness. Again, I can't get worked up about that sort of thing - I just don't care how people 'look at me' or whatever. Innocence and indifference is bliss.

What do you mean by 'everything'? Foodstuffs or other things? It sounds like we are still in the days where you had to go to butcher, baker, greengrocer etc one after another

Perhaps you are not as concerned about the quality of the produce you buy.

I certainly find that I have to "shop around" if I am to get decent quality produce.

I certainly DO NOT want my stuff packed at the supermarket and as far as possible in the UK I do it myself that the staff are shocked with. I don't them throwing a load of tins on top of the eggs and managing to only get 4 items in a bag packed so awkwardly it pokes you in the leg carrying it.

Perhaps you are not as concerned about the quality of the produce you buy.

possible I suppose - and maybe I don't use much in terms of fancy and unusual foodstuffs. 'Everything' just sounds like there are items missing - I was wondering what

It's not like you can get EVERYTHING even in the largest UK supermarket.

There's always going to be something you need to get elsewhere.

I certainly DO NOT want my stuff packed at the supermarket and as far as possible in the UK I do it myself that the staff are shocked with. I don't them throwing a load of tins on top of the eggs and managing to only get 4 items in a bag packed so awkwardly it pokes you in the leg carrying it.

MonksTown. Unless you are fibbing in your profile it says you are a man. I am also a man, and I know that anyone employed to pack groceries is ALWAYS ten times better than me at it. They always put the cheese with other cold stuff, tins in 2 plastic bags etc etc.

You are a man - you should be shite at packing groceries.

You are a man - you should be shite at packing groceries.

Shouldn't get all weepy at Johnny Logan songs either but there you go! :lol:

Back to the point - I once sent an email to Tesco's asking why they don't set up over here...I often wondered why the expats over here don't bombard them with requests to give them the message that there's a market for at least a little Tesco Express. That's something the TT Tesco fans could do.

Post the email address, what you wrote as a template, and let the bombardment commence

Why would they set up a little Tesco Express?

Tesco is about making MONEY.

They'd have to deliver it in Munich from their nearest depot: In Plzen, 200 kms away!

They'd have to re-label all their packaged goods into German.

It would NOT cover its costs, it would be a marginal business.

They would look at the M&S experience. At the time M&S had problems anyway but they had to leave the German market.

As mentioned by Topsy above, Tesco Express is a new concept. They are corporatising the "corner shop" segment of the market. I was in one last week in Bristol. I did not see ONE product there that I can't buy in PLUS at the corner of my street in central Munich.

I can't speak for grocery stores across the US, but the average Ralph's or Vons stores in San Diego have all German and UK stores (that I've seen so far) trumped as far as quality and selection. God I miss that! Tesco is only marginally better than most German stores simply because they are open longer, and usually have better service. Several times I've found past date items still on the shelves in Tesco. Oddly enough, as big as the stores are, they really don't offer that big a variety. Like someone else said: it's just a lot of the same thing. They will be facing some pretty stiff competition especially on the West Coast unless they broaden their assortment.

Ktty-Kat, what sort of products can you get in San Diego in a supermarket that Tesco don't sell?

Genuine question. :)

A huge selection of vegetarian stuff (not that I'm a veggie anymore, but I like a good soy burger or veggie corndog from time to time), much better variety of fresh meat (different cuts available), cold beer :), cheese sections bigger than just a broad variety of cheddars, better selection of deli meats (both pre packaged and fresh), more soda varieties, and definately a more diverse and fresh selection of veggies & fruits (lots of fresh peppers, and exotic vegetables year round), bigger medicine/personal care area... These are just off the top of my head...

Most grocery stores where I come from have been offering fresh bakeries, fresh delis, pharmacies, and other services in store for at least the past 10 years. I realize that Tesco also has some of these things, but I have yet to see their bakeries make custom cakes, or their delis offer the gigantic selection of freshly made pasta salads & other items.

*just like to also add that the average grocery store I'm referring to isn't any bigger than the average Tesco, much less a Tesco extra.

*AND if they are open 24 hours, they mean 24 hours- not "except" for Saturdays and Sundays when they close early!

Tesco has a range of differnt types of store: Express, Metro and Extra. So depending on the type of store and location the product mix will change.

Certainly all the stuff you mentioned would be available at the larger stores and more: clothes, personal finance, wireless phone outlet, and and and...

It all depends on the local market: A mate of mine picked up some Quorn sausages in a Tesco Express last week, but their cold meat selection was worse than the tiny PLUS where I shop in Munich.

Well, I've been to a couple of Extras, and a few of their regular "non express" stores, and the selections were all pretty paltry. Maybe the Extra was close to getting there, but I still think that consumers get the best all around deal in the US. And Tesco Extra can't even begin to compete with a Walmart Supercenter- yeah they have some electronic stuff, and a little bigger selection of home goods, but absolutely NOTHING in comparison to Walmart.

Well, I've only been to two Wallmarts (in Edmonton and in North Virginia) and two Tesco Extras (in York and in Boringwood) but I have to say there really wasn't *that* much difference. Maybe the Wallmarts I happen to end up in were particularly small, I can't judge.

But the selection at Tesco is far from paltry. I'm not a huge fan of Tesco by any stretch, but fair's fair.

The Walmart SuperCenters and tesco Extras are really part of a PROBLEM in that they take up a LOT of land, encourage or even force people to drive to the store and put a lot of small town centres themselves out of buiness. I never forget my fisrst visit to the USA and how small towns have had their hearts ripped out.

Tesco are rubbish and gawdy and a lot pricier than the likes of Plus... quality in Tescos ?? pffft ... buy fresh fruit everyday in plus and it's grand.