Tesco to launch in the USA

79 posts in this topic

The ones in Dublin are slightly better than those in the North. Those in London are better than both. But all Tescos are shit. End of posting for today!

It is a 100% right here right now reality. It is the upgrade to barcodes and will make checkout a doddle.

So please do not start on the technical impossibilities - start googling on "Radio Frequency IDentification"

http://www.rfidjournal.com/

My (admittedly hastily and badly explained) point was that the tin foil hat brigade think this can be used to track their movements. It would need a power source much larger than a grain of sand to radiate enough power for that.

And what do you expect them to stock JE? Bacon, Sausages, HP and Salad Cream, not likely... Go to Pilzn or Prag and you'll see what i mean, mainly local fodder.

i sadly agree here, even though it kills me to do so. i cant see the natives here getting excited about british supermarkets unless it was sainsbury's with jamie oliver. the perception here is that british food is crap, though note this, i was working on something yesterday to do with english-german sterotypes and the germans sort of ummed and ahhhed when it camre to that one. thanks jamie, more effective than bomber harris in changing kraut attitudes.

Last time Sunday in Dublin.

SUNDAY and you say tescos is crap. have you lived here yet? i mean really lived here. tescos and the big supermarkets are soley responsible for the destruction of the crappy draconian shopping hour laws.

Boots would make an absolute killing over here what with all the hypochondric germans. They could market a tablet against Kreislaufstörung and really clean up!

apart from the fact that certain (read all) medicines are regulated and only available in dah dah the apotheke. Aldi tried to get a liscence to sell those incredibly highly toxic medicines such as asprin and paracetamol. didnt go through.

Just have a look at the "success" of Wal-Mart here..competing with the price and (low) quality of Aldi & Co, and the figures don't seem to be so nice for them..

Hmm..but on the other hand you can order them legally online - all OTC-stuff..makes no sense?!

yes JE i remember that. i used to by two hundred paracetamol in boots once in a while. at some point they started asking me why. once i'd explained the reason 12 german paracetamol = 50 in english price they'd do it. apparently its a shit death if you do overdose (i asked them out off morbid curiosity, well you do wonder if overdose on pain killers will your death be, well, painful?) organs pack in.

Get this from a "how to top yourself site" - and NO I am not providing a link!!!

Paracetamol (Aka Acetaminopren / Tylenol)

Dosage: 15+ grammes, 20+ is better

Time: 10 hours fatal damage, but 2 weeks to actually die

Available: easy to get hold of

Certainty: fairly reliable

Notes: Once 10-12 hours is up, you've had it, but you still live for a week or two after that. Probably better to wait 15 hours just to make sure. Horrible side effects during this time (some of which are: acute toxic hepatitis, renal failure, cerebral oedema, intra-abdominal bleeding, aspiration pneumonia, haemophilia). Too small dose causes severe liver damage. Accidental deaths are very common. There are few if any side effects before the damage becomes fatal; occasionally vomitting and nausea.

Basically Monday morning in the Dr's surgeries you get people saying "I had a row with my boyfriend on Saturday night and popped a load of Paracetemol".

You are then a walking corpse - no escape.

Get this from a "how to top yourself site" - and NO I am not providing a link!!!

Paracetamol (Aka Acetaminopren / Tylenol)

Dosage: 15+ grammes, 20+ is better

Time: 10 hours fatal damage, but 2 weeks to actually die

Available: easy to get hold of

Certainty: fairly reliable

Notes: Once 10-12 hours is up, you've had it, but you still live for a week or two after that. Probably better to wait 15 hours just to make sure. Horrible side effects during this time (some of which are: acute toxic hepatitis, renal failure, cerebral oedema, intra-abdominal bleeding, aspiration pneumonia, haemophilia). Too small dose causes severe liver damage. Accidental deaths are very common. There are few if any side effects before the damage becomes fatal; occasionally vomitting and nausea.

sound like your standard good night on the piss. :D

Accidental deaths are very common

that would be a real choker. Try and kill yourself with an overdose and end up accidentally killing yourself :blink:

Can't believe you posted that JE, way below you !

I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one on here that has had a loved one or friend go this way and that post is just like a kick in the nuts reviving bad memories.

that would be a real choker. Try and kill yourself with an overdose and end up accidentally killing yourself

yeah sounds suspicious, more like doctors writting accidental death on the certificate to cover up the truth.

doctor: oh it looks like an accidental paracetemol overdose. did she have a headache?

distraut husband: yes

doctor: a bad one

distraut husband: yes, everynight for the last six years.

Can't believe you posted that JE, way below you !

I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one on here that has had a loved one or friend go this way and that post is just like a kick in the nuts reviving bad memories.

Dude - my own mother tried to commit suicide a couple of times with drugs overdoses. She died a few years ago of "unexplained causes".

The posting is to warn people that you do NOT want to try and kill yourself with Paracetemol. It is a easy to obtain but a very very bad idea.

I have to agree that the selection at a big grocery store in the US or UK is better than here -- but its true that a lot of that selection is pre-packaged/convenience stuff. Probably wouldn't go over as well in Germany where people are used to doing Brotzeit in the evening and not trying to whip together a cooked meal without actually having to cook. Also in the US I think there is a bit more attention to merchandising--so things maybe just look somehow more attractive, never mind the actual selection.

I've also read the stats about prices being cheaper in Germany, and based on my visits back to the US and trips to Scotland in recent years my subjective impresssion is that it really is true, food is a LOT cheaper here. When I visited my family in Michigan recently there was a new, fancy produce store near my dad's house. It was gorgeous, fantastic merchandising -- but I couldn't bring myself to buy much because the prices just seemed obscene.

Side question--when I lived in Stuttgart, if I wanted some obscure, fancy fruit or veg (like, say, fresh cilantro for salsa), I would go to the Markthalle downtown, where prices were very high (ie, equivalent to what I would pay in the US at Krogers). Are there places at the Viktualienmarkt here that would be the equivalent? Or does anybody know of a nice produce store in Moosach?

Yes, the Viktualienmarkt would be your closest equivalent to the Markthalle (I've lived in Stuttgart too). There is a row of herb sellers close to the Schrannenhalle end (walking from Marienplatz on the right-hand side of the market the order goes: bread then game/meat then veg then herbs then flowers if you are walking towards the Schrannenhalle, fish and deli items are on the left). All of those have Koriander year round.

This is the other side of the "Tesco is fab" coin - they reckon that small local shops will all but disappear in the UK within the next 10 years

It's all very well, but what about poor people, old people, people without cars?

How are they meant to do their shopping? My dear old dad (bless him) gets on his bike and cycles half an hour to Tesco these days, then comes back with great big paniers-full. At his age (he'll be 80 in November) I'm not really happy about it.

There's a lot to be said, really, for the German system.

The other aspect is the effect large buyers like Tesco have on the small suppliers of produce. The more strength they have, the better positioned they are to squeeze the prices they pay to suppliers (it's yer Porter's 5 forces, innit) and so the suppliers end up being forced to cut costs to survive - which is fine, but not if the cost-cutting comes at the expense of quality/safety for the consumer, or exploitation of the suppliers' workforce. IMO.

I just thought I'd get that off my chest... I feel better now.

Back to the point - I once sent an email to Tesco's asking why they don't set up over here. They answered saying the idea had not been excluded but they were not allowed to disclose their intentions, or something to that effect. I often wondered why the expats over here don't bombard them with requests to give them the message that there's a market for at least a little Tesco Express. That's something the TT Tesco fans could do. I wish there was one shop here where I could get everything instead of rushing round different places in my breaks. And which HELPED me with all the packing, another reason for not buying too much at a time. I get looked at as if I'm antisocial when I buy a few months' worth of something instead of as a good customer! The attitude to the consumer just isn't normal here.