Tesco to launch in the USA

79 posts in this topic

Tesco are already in Germany:

Tesco Germany

But, more seriously:

Tescopoly

Boycott Tesco

Tesco now controls 30% of the grocery market in the UK. In 2005, the supermarket chain announced over £2 billion in profits. Growing evidence indicates that Tesco's success is partly based on trading practices that are having serious consequences for suppliers, farmers, overseas workers, local shops and the environment.

What are the chances that, if Tescos do open up in Germany, they'll cater to local tastes and just fill the place with rows and rows of tinned fucking gherkins and salami though?

BTW, spychips in Tesco bags small than a grain of sand? What abolute twaddle. Not even going to start on the technical impossibilities.

if germans want value over quality they'll be shocked if Tescos come over and give them NEITHER!

Sounds like you may not have been to a TESCO's for a while. The stores used to be cramped and manky but now they've really pulled their socks up.

I reckon they must be doing something right, considering the number of consumers that use them!

...and becasue they can't / won't get away with that in Germany they are interested.

I've said it a million times but the supermarket I hate the most for the crap selection, bad layout, dozy staff and long queues is... Tescos in Broadmead in Bristol.

Hellooooooo??? Cooooeeeeeeee? Over here guys!!!

I promise to firebomb every local branch of Aldi, Lidl and Netto if you will please open a store round here?

And what do you expect them to stock JE? Bacon, Sausages, HP and Salad Cream, not likely... Go to Pilzn or Prag and you'll see what i mean, mainly local fodder.

Although, cheapo €10 jumpers are a plenty (most are in my wardrobe now), I hardly think that's a good enough reason for us to have a Tescos here.

KT

Never seen such bollocks in my life !

Tengys, Aldi et al do not compare in any way to a Tesco store, the quality at Tescos is immeasurably higher as is the range of foods offered.

Couldn't get parma ham ? Buggered if i know what branch you use but i routinely my local branch back home and have never encountered difficulty buying it.

I'm with JE and Wibble on this one, get a few Tescos and Sinsburys here please, pretty please. :P

german supermarkets are pump. minimal on hohernzollernstrasse is fucking awful, the tesco express at the end of my street in london had a wider selection of stuff in half the space.

ended up going to Karstadt to buy food last night and that is rubbish too.

all the bananas are bruised and over ripe, can't get a decent selection of fruit and veg generally - all it seems to be is potatoes and apples.

I wonder if Ocado do an international delivery service...?

Last time Sunday in Dublin. No parma ham in the North. They sell only what people want. if they don't want it they don´t stock it. so if they come here they will only stock German fare...

Boots would make an absolute killing over here what with all the hypochondric germans. They could market a tablet against Kreislaufstörung and really clean up!

all the bananas are bruised and over ripe

???

I complain they too green for my taste!

I really think this is a cliché that somehow Munich is "deprived" of a wide selection of foodstuffs. I've a fairly wide diet but i can do 99% of my shopping in Plus or Penny, Tengelmann's if i want something a bit posh like tonic water and a couple of Asian/Turkish supermarkets.

What REALLY caught my eye last week was how much space in UK supermarkets is now not selling food but ready meals! Maybe 50% in a Central London Tesco?

Edit: Boots? Unlikely! Germany already has Europes highest concentration of pharmacies and really needs to "lose" some. Current law prohibits chains of Apotheke to protect small businesses and on the combo Apotheke / Drogerie is Boots going to be able to undercut Müller on the shower gels and washing powder? Nope.

BTW, spychips in Tesco bags small than a grain of sand? What abolute twaddle. Not even going to start on the technical impossibilities.

Begtets you are being a tool. RFID is not fiction. It is a 100% right here right now reality. It is the upgrade to barcodes and will make checkout a doddle.

So please do not start on the technical impossibilities - start googling on "Radio Frequency IDentification"

http://www.rfidjournal.com/

Oh and Topcat can you please shut up about bleeding "Parma Ham". To achieve the same you can just take some fresh ham and leave it lying around for a few days.

Tengelmann, posh?

Do you consider Jordan a bit of class too?

She was in Hello! magazine last week, sign of a posh bird that innit! :)

Oh and Topcat can you please shut up about bleeding "Parma Ham". To achieve the same you can just take some fresh ham and leave it lying around for a few days.

I already have a few pound under the mat