Tesco to launch in the USA

79 posts in this topic

https://registration.ft.com/registration/ba...00779e2340.html

Tesco declared its intent on Thursday to enter the $600bn US grocery market, starting in 2007 with a beach head on the West Coast, where it will roll out a new format of express stores.

The UK's biggest retailer will invest up to £250m ($435m) a year in stores modelled on the Tesco Express chain, a small-shop format, and expects the business to develop through organic growth to break even in 2009, despite the challenge of moving into a highly competitive market.

Also:

The Tesco Group has turnover of £33,557 million with profits of £1,708m. We have

2,318 stores and employ 326,000 people in the 12 countries in which we operate.

In Europe, outside the UK, we operate in Ireland, Hungary, Poland, Czech

Republic, Slovakia and Turkey where we have 261 stores and 55,000 employees. In

Asia we have 179 stores and 34,000 employees across our businesses in Thailand,

S. Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia and Japan.

Hellooooooo??? Cooooeeeeeeee? Over here guys!!!

I promise to firebomb every local branch of Aldi, Lidl and Netto if you will please open a store round here?

Crosslink by admin: A Tesco in Munich - Lets start a petition to get one here!

I promise to firebomb every local branch of Aldi, Lidl and Netto if you will please open a store

You probably don't have to. Another decent snowfall should take care of most of them.

Was in the UK papers a few months ago. UK food retailers WON'T be coming to Germany in the near future, margins are too tight.

A lot of Germans want value before quality. I think the only way for tesco's to break into the market here would be to sell month old fruit and vegetables and completely cut down on variety and quality. And if they did that they wouldn't really be any different from Aldi or plus anyway.

if germans want value over quality they'll be shocked if Tescos come over and give them NEITHER! Also, did u know groceries in Germany are amongst the cheapest anywhere in Europe...

Yes groceries are cheap in Germany but in terms of quality I would disagree. Here you have to check every item you buy to see whether the use by date has expired as I have often brought things that are 2 months out of date here. I have never had that in Tescos.

Apart from that, the mice running round in supermarkets here, the fact a lot of them are unclean and unhygenic and the lack of variety tends to put me off shopping here.

but the actual food is edible...and the own brands (or at least the cheap ones) arent made of polystyrene... Tescos is just rubbish, along with any British supermarket beneath the level of Waitrose, and thats only good because it's "luxury" goods...

Tescos only give u a huge choice of different brands of the same product, and not a huge choice of product... and the veg and fruit is woeful... but that's england for u...

So there is more variety in say a Tenglemans than a Tesco's? That's a new one on me. And fresh fruit and vegetables? Most supermarket fruit and veg is so fresh here that it's gone rotten by the time you get it home. If you are lucky enough to find any in the first place that is.

Tesco have neither quality nor value tis true but what they do do in the UK and elswhere is sell everything, to everyone, every where and that you must admire. Although I went to my local one in Ireland and they had not heard of Parma Ham. I like German supermarkets especially Minimal and Edeka. The aisles are a bit narrow, not a lot of UK products, but otherwise it is very cheap. Most of them work on single point margins.

I cannot see how the Tesco express format or for that matter the larger format could compete here which is why they have not come.

Wibbs... thats just wrong, dunno where u shop...maybe im just lucky, my minimal and even Penny always have relatively fresh stuff around which is edible, unlike tescos which always had stuff that was completely out of season and usually hard as a rock...(talking things like mangos and even that british staple, bananas...)

if germans want value over quality they'll be shocked if Tescos come over and give them NEITHER! Also, did u know groceries in Germany are amongst the cheapest anywhere in Europe...

You get what you pay for... :ph34r:

I think you mean PRICE before quality Wibble. :)

Basicly to be able to offer prices that German consumers would pay they would either have to cut the prices to suppliers lower than their competitiors or run a less profitable business.

Fruit and Veg in the UK all looks the same and has no taste. I agree with yer man Pirulero the fruit and veg here is great.

nothing beats Spanish seasonal veg though, stunning...

funny, in Gibraltar until recently there was a Safeway. They used to import veg from spain out of season, ship it to england, and then ship it back to gibraltar, needless to say, the only ones that bought it were the English, locals shopped in spain. Funny though, because on a few occasions i heard brits complaining about the spanish veg and saying how the ones from safeways were much better...fools...brand loyalty's a funny thing...

@monkstown

Exactly what they did in the UK. Suppliers especially fresh food are losing money while Tesco rake it in.