Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Addressing a German policeman as Du

47 posts in this topic

TT Munich

Schleich di, sonst kriagst a bayerische Doppelwatschn

I'd like it on a t-shirt please.

Hey, I got the guy demoted for threatening and rough-handling the bum. The least you can do is order a silk t-shirt with gold sequins. (Yes, I liked the remark, too. But not the way he knocked the bum around.)

Ah my bad, I didnt read the background. Im not a silk and sequins with a logo person. Hows about a 3/4 sleeve jersey? It'll make me *look* like I do sport and if the tabloids have taught me anything, its cool to look sporty.

Strange, You get fined for saying "Du" to a policeman but can get away with accusing them of living in the past, insulting them greatly before speeding off whilst the run away screaming. Amazing

How about referring to them as Doosie? If German is not your first language you could always say you were not sure whether you should say "Du" or "Sie", so you said both. "Doosie" sounds a litte like a derogative word, but you could get away with it.

The problem is that the Sie form of a verb is simpler that the other forms. You might as well call them dog doo if you are trying to get away with that kind of a story.

I personally would never speak to a police officer at all in German - find this works just great. Either they speak to you in a very respectful way in english ( and suddenly obtain quite a sense of humour ) or they tell you they cannot speak english. Either way, the problem that started the encounter generally disappears.

Even worked the time I gave the finger to two undercover police who I cut off at a green light and they gave the typical annoying 10 second German horn. After chasing me around for about 10 blocks / a couple more middle fingers / a couple run red lights / one attempt to go around them when they stuck the orange stick ( had no idea what that was ) out the window / then my finally stopping and having them stick their 9 mm's in my face - the end result was "next time you are in the area ( had english plates still ) - be a little more quiet"!

Other auslanders ( the ones with darker skin ) tell me that a simular police encounter for them would be "every police officer's dream" and they wouldn't expect their families to hear from them for some weeks!