Game of Thrones (TV series) (Spoilers )

262 posts in this topic

Topic split from What made you laugh today

OK, this had my colleagues walk in to check on me, as I was bumping my head into the furniture ROFLing...Oh, and if you haven't read the Books and are waiting eagerly for the latest installment of Game of Thrones do not read The 100+ best tweets on the episode with the red wedding

Holy crap! Did you see the episode, Gwaptiva? I just finished watching GoT episode nine "The Rains of Castamere". No wonder people are freaking out on the 'Net and Twitter. :o

What a traumatizing experience during the 'Red Wedding'. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight.

'Game of Thrones' Sparks Intense Reactions: Fans Vent Online Over Wrenching Plot Twist In Sunday's Episode

Viewers Go Ballistic Over Last Night's Unreal 'Game Of Thrones' Episode

Here's a clip of fans watching that episode (and I'm not surprised at their shock and revulsion)...

Some more Tweets:

* "And I thought Joffrey was a bad enough fucker."

* "Imagine if Quentin Tarantino directed #GameofThrones, how different it would be. #notmuch"

* "Why doesn't George R.R. Martin have Twitter? Because he killed all 140 characters."

* "Wow, yup, not watching the next episode without a shrink standing by."

post-9625-13702951035996.jpg

God, it all makes me laugh. :lol: I like the viewers who say "I'm not watching this crap no more!" and "I hate him!", only because they couldn't stomach the Red Wedding. They should've read the books. ;)

@FuzzyTony: One of my favorite Tweets was "Somewhere a couple is rethinking their GoT-themed wedding right now"

Here's a clip of fans watching that episode (and I'm not surprised at their shock and revulsion)...

:lol: Not sure if I'm more amused by the reactions or by the fact that a whole lot of people who obviously read the books were all prepared in advance to film their friends reactions.

I'm still holding out on watching the TV series until he finishes the books but it's getting harder and harder to resist. I'm pretty sure I cried reading the wedding part of the books, I have to admit and I think I even re-read pages immediately after reading them 'cos I couldn't believe what was happening.

Agree, leeza... on the writing unimportant stuff (that includes screenplays) and on the reason to stop reading

I was on Twitter last night and the tweets for #GameOfThrones and the #RedWedding were coming in thick and fast; many were hilarious to read, others just hilarious in their tone. :lol:

But the one that cracked me up the most was from The Onion with their link to the following article:

The Onion: "Oh Shit, I Totally Forgot That Happens!" (George R.R. Martin)

...That being said, HOLY FUCKING SHIT. I totally forgot that whole thing about the Red Wedding! Christ almighty, talk about a punch in the goddamned gut. I must have been sitting there for 20 minutes afterwards just completely numb with disbelief, like, "What the hell did I just watch?" I mean, is it that brutal in my book? I honestly don’t remember.

post-9625-13703370041177.jpg

And I'm even more pissed that George R. R. Martin is spending his time writing coffee table books rather than working on Book Six. The dude's not all that young and probably not very healthy. He needs to focus and finish things up.

I agree. Although having had a quick look at his website earlier to see if there was a release date yet for book six (there's an excerpt up since January but I didn't see anything about when it'd be finished), I'm kind of tempted to buy the A Feast Of Fire And Ice Cookbook.

The good news is that the HBO series producers have an outline and synopsis of the whole story (all seven books) and can finish the show even if Mr. Martin croaks off. That said, if he doesn't finish writing them before he dies (a la Mr. Jordan) I will be seriously pissed.

I just hope that NDA is airtight and nobody leaks what happens...

The disconnect between large segments of the global population has made me giggle a little bit. Those who have read the books and those who haven´t. To be honest, I didn´t realise until recently how popular this show was. And even then, I kept assuming that most fans would have picked up the books. It is a huge topic of conversation basically everywhere I go at the moment. My two eldest boys filmed reactions. I was on FB, watching the stream.

Let´s be honest - for all of us out there who had read the books, this was the episode we were most looking forward to watching with people who have fallen in love with GOT, but not yet read the books. It´s a kind of "rites of passage" moment in the series. Not that it was entirely unexpected - what happened to Ned should have indicated that there are no spoilers in these books (shows). Everyone dies. No-one escapes without scars. Much like real life really.

My favourite bit in the reactions vid was the muscle-boy, laying forlornly on the carpet, looking up at his mates like a beaten puppy, and saying "You knew this was going to happen, didn´t you?"

Yes, yes we did. And I can only speak for myself, but it was worth it. Schadenfreude is fun in a fantasy world.

Anyways, GOT probably needs its own thread these days...

I was so pissed when I read this part of the book. I've read literally thousands of books and have never felt so betrayed by an author in my life. At one point, I threw the book across the room.

And I'm even more pissed that George R. R. Martin is spending his time writing coffee table books rather than working on Book Six. The dude's not all that young and probably not very healthy. He needs to focus and finish things up.

Though after the Red Wedding, I will never invest myself in another of his characters again. I've vowed to stop reading if he kills off

Arya

Somebody told me that that is the one safe character. Apparently George R. R. Martin made a promise to his wife about it. I still don't trust him though.

I started reading the books after I finished watching the first two series' of the programme. I haven't watched the latest series - I just want the next book! Desperately!

Dunno if the books are ever going to come out. I read thats he's already briefed the writers of the show on how he envisions the series wrapping up - so they're in no major fear of him popping it unexpectedly.

The gent has read the books, I haven't.

if he doesn't finish writing them before he dies (a la Mr. Jordan)

He went through that.

Strangely, I didn't feel that upset about the Red Wedding, I think it was because they were all a bit too happy beforehand, you knew it was all going to go to shit. I was more shocked by Ros.

I have a feeling that next week will be worse...

I read about 2.5 of the books and gave up because actually, you know, medieval life was bad, but so unrelentingly and constantly bad? They'd all have committed suicide by now. I was appropriately shocked by the Red Wedding in the books, although I *sort of* knew it was coming when Robb pulled out of the marrying Frey's daughter. That wasn't the part that drove me away from the series. What drove me away was Sansa Stark's story.

I haven't watched the TV version at all.

Leeza, for some reason I think that particular character is going to survive. Although G.R.R.M. has said he loves his fiction to be unpredictable, so who knows...

I do suspect thought (this is only a theory, no spoilers!) that a particular red headed daughter of Ned Stark isn't long for this series...

@jessiebeth: I hope so very much; it would mean that book 6 is out!

But in all seriousness: I kinda trust Mr Martin to be a little bit more creative/contrary than to just kill off all characters. He's already pulled the trick of

making it seem a character is killed and then it turns out she wasn't really... or was she?

but to keep doing that just isn't his style. I predict Sansa to get it on big time (Daenerys-stylee) with the Hound, and Arya to play a key role; the way GRRM has prepared esp. the Arya character (tomboy, mistress of disguises, whatever-weird-death-cult-thing, etc. etc), killing her off would make an utter waste of paper of about 1/5 of the novels thus far. It's clearly his favorite character.

But then, Mr Martin does have a bit of a reputation for the unexpected...

The good news is that the HBO series producers have an outline and synopsis of the whole story (all seven books) and can finish the show even if Mr. Martin croaks off. That said, if he doesn't finish writing them before he dies (a la Mr. Jordan) I will be seriously pissed.

People had been complaining for years about Robert Jordan taking so long to finish his books, and I read more than a few times that "he'll probably die before he finishes them". However after he died they got another author (Brandon Sanderson) to finish the series, and by all accounts he did a pretty good job of it. The problem is that the Wheel of Time got so bogged down I lost interest in it.

Martin seems to be going the same direction. His early books were very good, and the wedding scene didn't bother me in the slightest, but the story running out of steam in "A Feast for Crows" killed my interest in reading any further. I really hope HBO does a better job when they reach that point.

I'm not gonna put spoiler tags as the sub-heading clearly says spoilers. So don't read the rest of this post if you don't want spoilers.

While I cared quite a bit for Robb and a bit less for Caitlyn (never could fully reconcile her deep and abiding love for her children and the way she treated Jon Snow), what broke my heart was Arya getting SO close and having it all ripped away again. Arya is definitely the character I most identify with and feel the most for, closely followed by Tyrion and then Sansa.

As far as the show, putting Robb's wife at the wedding and making her pregnant just to kill her off so brutally felt gratuitous to me, as Jayne in the books wasn't at the wedding nor pregnant (as far as we know).