Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What is this decade called? Years 2000 to 2009

29 posts in this topic

60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, yadda yadda!

Just shut up!

You don't even know what this decade is called, now do you?

Huh! I didn't think so.

I knew it was the Noughties/Naughties.

Not sure if that makes me cool or not - doubt it somehow.

I think the name is pretty cool, though. I'm trying to make it my life's motto for the next 5 years at least :D

Well in the twentieth century it must have been the nineteen tens since the nineteen teens doesn´t sound right. So it must be twentytens or twentyteens

I think we should base it on K-Tel CD compilation commercials on Eurosport ("Just walk on by, wait on the corner...".

In 20 years, it will have to roll smoothly off the tongue, and eventually be followed by 20s, 30s, etc.

And for that matter, the next decade will most probably be called the teenies and make related references confusing.

2000 - 2010

Naughties/noughties is distracting to hear.

Zippies is too Disneyland, and gay (old usage of the word - see Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back).

The Early Years of the Century is a usage of a generation who will have died out by then (do you know who Lawrence Welk is? Karl Moik?)

Double aughts and zeroes is getting pretty close.

The double-os? Kind of like this one.

The "Odd" years seems passable (odd for lack of a better word or related to space odyssey) but it still needs "-ies".

The Oddies?

The tennies? Um, guess what? This one would work.

In 30 years, after the Stones have published their 128th album, the K-Tel acid test:

"The new Rolling Stones compilation! Including hits from the tennies, teenies, twenties, and thirties!"

"The new Rolling Stones compilation! Including hits from the naughties, teenies, twenties, and thirties!"

"The new Rolling Stones compilation! Including hits from the oddies, teenies, twenties, and thirties!"

"The new Rolling Stones compilation! Including hits from the double-os, teenies, twenties, and thirties!"

Hmmm, methinks me has no clue, and far too much free time.

Which one is the best K-Tel meter in your ears?

The tennies? Um, guess what? This one would work.

erm is that not the years after the naughties?

if it is then what do we call the years from 2010 - 2020, and even if its not then can we call them the teenies.

at this rate i would like to have been young when we approached the titties (2030)