Bikram Yoga centre in Munich-Neuhausen

26 posts in this topic

Do not waste your time or money at this studio! They have a few lessons to learn in regards to being 'friendly' & how to welcome potential new clients.

Even though the website says to be 'punctual', what it fails to mention is that if you are just a minute late, you will not be allowed into the class. I was exactly 3 minutes late (I left well in advance, but there was absolutely no parking to be found, which caused me to be slightly late). I was made to feel as if I didn't plan my time correctly.

Then I was not allowed to get the 10 days 10 euro deal because I have tried hot yoga once before (mind you only once, in the US more than 3 years ago... NOT in Germany and NOT in their studios). Apparently there is no way to get the package to try out their studios - another thing they failed to mention on their website.

Noticing I was dissapointed the person at the front desk said, "I understood you are frustrated but, well, this is the only sudio in Munich offering hot yoga'. And she said it with a smirk on her face.

Smug. Not worthy of my business.

Actually, there's now a second hot yoga studio in Munich - it's in Schwabing. I only found this out through Groupon where they had a fab offer last week but unfortunately it was a limited numbers offer. The Neuheusen studio is the only one I've come across that doesn't let you avail of the 10 days for €10 offer if you've done it in another country. I did a 10 day in Dublin in 2005 and classes in London in 2009 and because of that, I was exempt from the Munich offer which seems odd (I'd understood it to be per studio).

Unfortunately as regards being even a minute late, sorry but that's pretty much what Bikram Choudhary (sp?) advocates. The class requires much more concentration and focus than other forms of yoga and people can't be disturbed in any way. It so happens that the first exercise (my least favourite) really really can't be disturbed by latecomers. Bikram C. even dictates when you can sip your water. You'll understand why when you attend a class.

Another poster says to just follow people in front of you if you can't understand the instructions in German but unless you're really used to Bikram, you'll miss out on a lot that you're supporsed to be doing and concentrating on if you can't understand what's being said. Yes, it sounds like you're being barked at but it's actually just the instructions being repeated very very often which is really necessary for this class (things like keeping your elbows glued to your ears, which finger(s) should be extended, stuff about your breathing, locking the knee, focussing only on your own point in the mirror/wall/floor and what balance etc you need to progress to the next level in camel/tree pose etc).

TSlondon,

Thanks so much for post and I am very happy to know there is another studio in Munich that offers hot yoga! I was not aware of additional concentration need (I wish they would have stated this on their website). Nonetheless I think the attitude I encountered on my first visit said enough about this establishment - I won't be back.

I most definitely will be trying this studio (and brushing up on my german to better understand their instructions)! Thanks again for the link & comments!

I have been to the new studio in SCHWABING on Hohenzollernstrasse (near Munich Freiheit) a good few times now and really like it.

They offer one week for 20.00 euros, mat included, no matter if you have done Bikram before or not.

Classes are in German, but as soon as there is only one English speaking person in the room, they teach bilingual, German-English which is really cool.

After the introduction week you get a 10% discount on any card you purchase with them. I have a monthly card now, so hope to see a few of you guys there soon :)

Definitely recommendable, friendly teachers, nice atmosphere!

Hi Bikram Yogis, I have good news for you: I just found out that the 10 days for 10 Euros is available again to EVERYBODY who is new to the BIKRAM YOGA MUNICH studio in Neuhausen - no matter if you've done it somewhere else. I have just been doing the introductory offer even though I do BY in Denver. The studio is absolutely awesome, the instructors very helpful and friendly. And: there is an English Class mostly every Friday at 09:30!!! yey!

Another plus is, that there is NO SMELLY CARPET in this studio, which I was used to back in the States.

I can really recommend this studio, I heard it's supposed to be the best one in Munich. Maybe I'll see some of you next Friday again in the English class :-).