2013 Munich Chili Cookoff

45 posts in this topic

In case Loonyspook's not around this morning...

1) Is it pay-at-the-door to enter, or do we sign up somewhere?

It's pay-at-the-door

2) Is there a minimum batch size?

Not officially but remember that there are at least the judges and your fellow chefs who'll need to taste. Then the guests will be a little miffed if they've paid in and there's nothing left for them after the judging. Have a look at the photos from previous years* and you'll see the general pot size that people use.

3) Are there any "banned" ingredients that we should know about?

I've never known anything to be officially banned

4) what facilities are there for reheating? Hotplates? Do we bring our own?

You leave your chili with the organisers and they take it away for heating up and judging.

*(012, 011, 009)

3) Are there any "banned" ingredients that we should know about?

I've never known anything to be officially banned

I have known corn to be frowned on.

Corn was frowned upon, mushrooms have been frowned upon, kidney beans were frowned upon. In the past the judges have frowned sometimes more often than is good for them. Nothing has been banned though.

Thanks Gen and Keydeck for helping out with answers.

Just to clariy, there is also a cookie contest in case anyone wants to enter that as well.

Nothing has been banned so far, though we have had a few Entries that came close...I recall..."It's not Chili BUT" category from last year.

Look forward to seeing everyone there.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20130803T14&p0=168&fg2=ff605a&msg=Munich+Chili+Cookoff

OK, the trophy is all ready and up to date. Just need to get all my ingredients now.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

Sounds great, I am looking forward to this already

I made my "Band Substance Chili" (specifically for the Band and Chef Prize entry on Tuesday already9

With 34° expected for Saturday, we won't need to warm the Chili's through so much. Maybe I should get some fridges sorted out instead.

Actually what would be a great idea for Zar Bar (Not sure if they'd comply), is to whack all their beer glasses in to the freezer. Serving Helles in a frosted glass would be perfect tomorrow.

is to whack all their beer glasses in to the freezer. Serving Helles in a frosted glass would be perfect tomorrow.

Agreed.

Look forward to tomorrow. Hoefully there will be chili when I get there.

Judging starts at 15:00hrs sharp. Once the judging finishes, everyone gets to taste. (Yes no secret, that's most people's favorite bit)

That bears repeating. The event is not just for competitors!

I've spread the word as much as I can, but due to some unforeseen issues, I can't be an entrant : (

That said, a buddy and I shall come, sample and compliment!

2pm, 5 euros per-person at the door, ja?

Today is the Day indeed.

Sure thing, come along anytime after 14:00hrs. The Zar Bar @ 240 Rosenheimerstrasse.

Spectators pay 5 Euros (which goes towards our Charity "The Klinik Clowns"

It looks like it will be a great day out today. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Wow, what am AMAZING afternoon, once again we had a fantastic time. 16 Chili Entries, 5 Cookies, Sunshine, a great location and Brilliant Music.

It is an honour to organise this every year. This is starting to be more like a Family Picnic that a contest.

This year the Pride of First Place goes to Wendy Bernhart, with Bridget Hooser coming a close second and Last Year Winner Ken Beer running up in third.

For Cookies, we had Claudia Kuffner taking 1st place ( I believe this is for the 3rd time) with Marykate Burns and Diana Wittig coming in second and third respectively.

All in all a wonderful time was had by all.

To Jason Serious and Dave Ingleton, you are amazing and that you give your time every year for free gives us all so much pleasure.

Thanks to everyone who came along.

I look forward to once again coming together next year for more of the same.

Top job as always. The staff at Zar need to sort their shit out and decide in advance how they want to handle the day, but apart from that it was great fun.

My tummy still hurts in spite of globs of sour cream and a couple of Talcid gel packs but I am glad to say that none of the entries were hot just for the sake of being hot; they all had quite a bit of flavor to go along with the spiciness.

Permit me to mention the politically correct integration chocolate chip cookies, half regular dough with milk chocolate chips and half chocolate dough with white chocolate chips. Very cute.