Using a German cell phone within the U.S.

55 posts in this topic

I spent a "Menge" of money on a Nokia N90, just to find out a few days later that I'll be moving back to the US.

Assuming the SIM card is not locked, would it be possible to take the phone to, say, Verizon and just get a new card? Or it's mandatory that I buy the cell phone with an American operators?

I'm not a techie, at least not a telecom techie, so forgive my ignorance.

Maria

Looking on the Nokia web site shows you the phone details

Dual mode WCDMA/GSM and triband GSM coverage on up to five continents (GSM 900/1800/1900 and WCDMA 2100 networks)

So Yes, this phone will work in the US, with a US SIM card, as long as the phone isn't SIM locked.

You can get just a sim from most of the providers in the US, or as part of a package with a free

phone.

You may however loose some functionality as not all services offered in EU are avail in the US.

should work. just unlock your phone if it's locked.

wahoo nokie phones! :)

make sure your phone is dual or triple band and thus actually works in USA. I suggest just going to a mobile phone shop and asking for a pre-paid SIM card

You can purchase T-Mobile pre-paid SIM cards in the US (look for an independent mobile phone shop - not any of the big service providers like Verison, Sprint, etc.)

there is a catch though. you cannot swap back and forth between your new US sim and German sim cards. at least in my experience of 2 yrs ago, when I took out the US sim put my DE sim back in to check my SMSs, the US sim locked itself when i put it back in again. buggers. :angry:

Motorola V220, a triband, is being offerred by Plus for 99 Euros. How can I be sure that it would take the US prepaid SIM card?

Cingular offers refurbished cell phones for 29.99$ and a prepaid card for about $20.00. Has anyone used these?

Last time I went back, I got a T-Mobile Pre-Paid card, which came with $20 credit and it cost $50..

Most of the Kiosk type places in malls, are not intrested in selling just the prepaid SIM card and will prob. not

have them. They will either try to convince you to get a New phone/contract or to goto another store (Which

also prob. won't have them)

Before you buy a card, look at the coverage maps for all the providers for the area that you will be living in.

In most cases the companies with the best coverage are going to be Verzion and T-Mobile.

I would first check to see if it is locked to a certain network. You can borrow some friends SIM cards from another network to easily check this. If it is locked it is unlikely you will be able to unlock it yourself, most new Nokia phones are pretty impossible to unlock at the moment. Best bet is to just sell it on ebay and get a new phone when you go back to the US.

make sure your phone is dual ... band and thus actually works in USA

Dual band does not work in the US. I failed to do my homework first and found that out the hard way.

From what I know about the major networks in the US, Verizon uses CDMA which isn't compatible if your phone is GSM (the European standard). My husband used to work for Siemens mobile, so our phones were never "locked" but we were only able to use SIM cards from GSM networks: Cingular (now ATT wireless again) and T-Mobile. It was relatively easy to just buy a prepaid SIM card from ATT- but do check that your phone isn't locked by your current provider in Germany.

Any personal recommendations on which pre paid sim card to get while in the US. My phone is quad-band so should work, but am worried by the quote above by Chicago about when he/she put the De sim card back in? I will be visiting IN and MN and would like to have a local sim card instead of using my De one.

Also, anyone know if you get charged for recieving sms's on your De sim card while in the states with Eplus? I have not in 4 different Eu countries, but DO get charged for getting sms's (not just sending) while in the UK, but now sure about US. I will of course ask when I get to an eplus shop, but thought would just add this question along to the one above. :)

Thanks

I'm living in Hamburg now but travel back to NY every 3-4 months for 1 week at a time. I did a ton of reseach and ended up buying a Cingular SIM card. It turned out to be the cheapest plan over all, when you consider daily access fees, etc. Cingular only charges you on days that actually use the phone. Verizon charges you $1 per day, regardless of usage. T-mobile had some other fees.

The card itself cost me about $10, and came with $10 of airtime. They mailed it to my PO box in the states. I use the card with my Samsung C417 phone. I did have to unlock it first. But now it works great in the US or in Germany.

Cingular's coverage isn't as good as Verizon, but they tell me it gets better every day. We'll see. The real sticky point is that all US providers have expiration dates for unused airtime. Usually 90 days, so read the fine print to decide on your usage needs.

Hope that helps!

Yep thats the disadvantage of using that plan. I never use my minutes so I end up losing them, but I need the phone. I use T-moble for my service and they seem reliable on coverage on the west coast.

perdido- you have a cingular card? oh... i need to get your number and call you (it'll be free for you since it'll be mobile to mobile within Cingular)

FYI- cingular is actually now ATT (or as the commericals say Cingular is now the new ATT)

basically cingular and verizon have the same coverage and same dropped call rates and all that.

No but Tmoble has a similar plan like the afore mentioned thats why I knew about the loss of minutes. But you can call anytime doll.

will do. I need to convince you some how to come over here to the land of 'sconi chicks.

:( sorry... there are nicer than us who'd take you in with open arms. :wub: