Fritzbox Magic

29 posts in this topic

Almost all of my material will play natively without the need of transcoding, so the problem isn't at that higher level. The problem with the existing NAS is that it takes too long to navigate the library and bring up poster art. This makes browsing a painful experience. One the content begins playing, it plays flawlessly, even HD.

Clients are an iPad for AirPlay, Roku or Samsung Smart TV widget.

All those clients need transcoding. But since the playback is OK then you should focus on what's the bottleneck. Have you tried with a wired client? If not wire your TV and try again.

But if your library is big probably there is no solution yet. Plex does not escalate well with big libraries and that slowness in browsing the media is well known.

Maybe you should consider moving to XBMC if you have clients where to run it.

I don't have an XBMC client available. If it were possible to use an XBMC client (say on an iPad that could AirPlay) and access a media library from my NAS, I would certainly go for that method.

However, regarding the Plex server, I don't have issues with an old Windows laptop or a newer iMac as the server. It is only when using the very under powered NAS that the browsing issue presents itself.

Of course, with the new line you will have a contractual 100GB cap (not actually implemented yet), and a new 2-year minimum service.

Those Telekom caps were declared illegal this week. Telekom still can appeal but it does not look promising for them.

Newest videogames downloads are already around 50GB and with a new generation of consoles coming and trying to ditch physical media those caps were no good.

True, I read that. But I was wondering if all T-online have to do is rename the "Flat-rate" bit.

Hopefully I am wrong.

By the way, has anyone noticed how t-online throttle You-Tube in the afternoon and evening? So much for net neutrality.

So, since my Fritz Box 7390 is also a NAS, I was wondering if I could install the Plex Server onto this device.

Not going to happen. The hardware specs between a fritzbox and most normal NAS's (Qnap, Thecus, etc)

is totally different. Many NASs have intel chips while the FB has a lower power ARM chip.

Just as an aside, I'd recommend enabling a VPN using your fritzbox. You can then safely access your home network (and indeed the wider internet via your home network). I have my VPN set up and if I want to access something on my NAS at home I do it via VPN from my Android device. Also much more secure should you want to check sensitive websites (email, online banking etc.) from an insecure public wifi network. It costs nothing to enable (you'll need to set up a dynamic dns update service like no-ip in the fritzbox first of course).

The download and install the VPN configuration program (Windows Only) from the AVM Website, Run and create the VPN Config, and finally

upload the created file to the Fritzbox and reboot..

Its an interesting/good plan, but its not quite as simple/forward as you make it out to be.

Perhaps "costs nothing to enable" was confusing, I just meant it is free of charge/cost, not that is a one click solution. It isn't however that difficult either in fairness. I mean for windows users they even provide that config tool which presumably makes it quite straightforward, but it's not actually needed as the base config file is available on the net (I'm a Linux user so was in that boat).

I just think if one has already got a fritzbox and it's probably switched on all the time then using its inbuilt VPN is really a no brainer when connecting to sensitive sites on public wifi networks.