Cool neighbourhood in Essen

4 posts in this topic

Hi there,

My wife and I will be visiting Essen for a couple of days this month, mainly to visit a couple of interesting sites such as the Villa Hügel & the Zollverein. We'll be staying not too far from the Hauptbahnhof, but to be honest, we don't know anything at all about the city.

Is there a nice, cool sort of inner neighbourhood where good value food (Restaurants & cafe's) can be found. A bit alternative etc. Sort of like Steintor in Bremen, Bornheim in Frankfurt etc.

Also, is there anything else we should definitely see there?

Ruettenscheid is the hip neighborhood in Essen, just 5 mins south of the Hauptbahnhof. Food is quite inexpensive, but relatively "standard" i.e. typically international with a slight german flavor. If you want some advice on where to go, just ask :) I live there.

Note that it's "hip" (for Essen's standards!!) but not really alternative - as far as I know, there is no real alternative neighborhood in Essen.

Anything else to see: I'm a fan of the southern part of Essen, all around the Baldeneysee, from Kettwig to Kupferdreh - in fact, if you're going to Essen during the summer, you could easily take the S-Bahn to Kettwig and then dine at the Biergarten of "Die Stiege", which offers a really, really cool atmosphere. The Museum Folkwang is quite nice, too.

Thanks FDG, that's great advice. I'm going to check out our tips.

I am guessing Ruettenscheider straße in Ruttenscheid is the place to go for the cafes, or is there some side streets I should look for.

Yes, mostly. There's a couple just right beyond the corners, but you can usually see them from Rü (that's how the street is called).

I personally like the greek Meze-bar (a very modern greek restaurants that mostly serves entrees) just at the start of the street, on the left, and the Hausbrauerei a bit further on, near the Irish pub.