Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

April Fools' day in Germany

50 posts in this topic

anybody out there have any stories to tell?

plus, anybody out there have any idea(s)?

post-17-1080229149.jpg

For April fool's I was thinking about coming up with various ways to say that TT had a hacker that was placing funny pictures in peoples Gallery or something and to have a few people join in on the prank... but I decided it was too much work. (So if it does happens it is not from me :ph34r: )

Speaking with someone at work in passing today, I mentioned that April Fool's was tomorrow and I asked if they do this in Germany. My german being poor I tried to explain how someone might say they've won the lotto or something. The lady only said that on the first of April, you are supposed to start wearing short sleeved shirts :blink: . Now, do they even get into the prank thing here or is this just an American custom? They don't use/understand sarcasm and there is no phrase "It's only a joke!" in German.

Am I going to be the only one looking over my shoulder for pranks tomorrow?

If I pull a really good one on somebody I think I will probably end up in jail or something.

It is a very common thing in Germany to have April fools.

Even the big newspaper will publish some bullsh*t, which they will explain the day after. So be aware, don't believe everything you are reading tomorrow! :D

We do have sense of humour but it might be a little different to the rest of the world's sense of humour :P

Don't know what it's like in the States, but the Brits have to get their April Fools pranks in before midday! (Otherwise the person playing the trick is considered the fool)

But I don't think that applies to Germany! And as Bubbly says - there's usually a strange newspaper report.

Whats it called in German? In the wonderful land that is France, they call it Poisson D'Avril, or "April Fish". Absolutely no idea atall where that name came from.

Just read this

"In Scotland, April Fools Day is 48 hours long. The second day is called

Taily Day and is dedicated to pranks involving the buttocks."

Can anyone from Scotland verify that there is indeed a day devoted to "buttock pranks". I really hope this is true.

Can't remember what they call it, but if you've been caught out by someone they will gleefully chant 'April, April' at you!

It's called Aprilscherz and as soon as the other persons believes in what you've said you go "April, April" - the German pronounciation of course.

@don

never heard of buttock prank day :lol: maybe someone playing an early april fool on you? B)

actually, after googling for it, I got 179 hits. And they all say almost exactly the same thing <_< which I think suggests a common source

I would guess once upon a time it was a newspaper story printed on the 1st of April...

Can't really think of any Buttock jokes besides 'kick me'.

"Hey, you have a brown stain on your pants!" comes to mind, but they would see right through it.

Any Scotts here to add to the list?

I was thinking about coming up with various ways to say that TT had a hacker

Hmmm could be onto something there, if only I was unscrupulous, then I could investigate whether this little feature could make for a fun April Fools day :ph34r:

Well, you could always stand in the middle of Marienplatz (centre of town), staring into the sky... It won't take long & you'll have a crowd doing exactly the same... That's when you yell 'April, April' in a very loud voice (with a German accent) - & then run. ;)

You could also trot along in a U-Bahn, flipping your library or bus pass open under peoples' noses for about 2 seconds & say: 'Fahrkartenkontrolle' (with a German accent) & see how many passengers show your their tickets (someone really did that). :rolleyes:

OR - do the Jonathan Dimbelby April Fool's joke. This is something for all you film & video clip makers out there! J. Dimbelby was - for all of you that are unaware - a very famous & serious journalist in the UK in the 50's. He made a short film somewhere in an exotic country of people collecting cooked spaghetti off trees. He did the voice-over in his serious journalistic voice - the BBC were bombarded by calls for days! Well done J.D! :lol:

Ta-ta from Munich

Happy April Fool's Day tomorrow!

actually, after googling for it, I got 179 hits. And they all say almost exactly the same thing  which I think suggests a common source.  I would guess once upon a time it was a newspaper story printed on the 1st of April...

I agree Dunsinane. Sounds like an April fool's joke that stuck because we want it to!

Come on. Scottland. Arse. Fools. <_< It all just sounds too convenient. ;)

Tae A Fart

Oh what a sleekit horrible beastie,

Lurks in yer bellie efter a feastie,

Just as ye sit doon among yer kin

There starts to stir an enormous wind.

The neeps and tatties and mushy peas

Start working like a gentle breeze

But soon the pudding wi' the sauncie face

Will hae ye blawin' a' ower the place

Nae matter whit the hell ye dae

a'body's gonnae hae tae pay

Even if ye try tae stifle

it's like a bullet oot a rifle

Hawd yer bum ticht tae the chair

Tae try tae stop the leakin' air

Shift yersel fae cheek tae cheek

Pray tae god it disnae reek

But a' the efforts go asunder

Oot it comes like a clap o' thunder

Ricochets arrond the room

Michty me! a sonic boom

God almighty it fairly reeks

A' hope a' huvnae shit ma breeks

Tae the bog a' better scurry

Whit the hell, it's no ma worry

A'body roon aboot me choakin'

One or two are nearly boakin'

I'll feel better for a while

Cannae help but raise a smile

It wis him! I shout and glower

Alas too late, he's just keeled ower

Ye dirty bugger! They shout and stare

I'm no that welcome any mair

Where e're ye go let yer wind gang free

That sounds jist the joab fir me

Whit a fuss at Rabbie's party

Ower the sake o' one wee farty.

Profi where did you find that? I have been trying to breathe for the last five minutes (laughter, not the methane).

Pity the poor non-native speaker trying to figure this out.

Was in one of my low down drinking holes just before midnight last night and the bar men said there was some kind blockade the polizei were going to do down the street and he had to shut at 12. So he comes round to cash up and I (grumbling) got my money out with "scheiß Bullen" and so on. Then he said he was just joking and gave a round of schnapps on the house for everyone who fell for it! :D

It is a very common thing in Germany to have April fools.  Even the big newspaper will publish some bullsh*t, which they will explain the day after. So be aware, don't believe everything you are reading tomorrow!  We do have sense of humour but it might be a little different to the rest of the world's sense of humour

Are there any good headliners today?

Um, Bubbly- darling. We don't read German all that well. Some of nary a word.

hmm... sounds like a poll brewing. :)

We do have ... but it might be a little different to the rest of the world's ...

Can just about fit anything you choose in there bubbly. :lol:

April, April!