Moving to Munich and my situation is unique

455 posts in this topic

Bonnie F, I think your post is on the wrong thread, so it will probably be moved to a different one (I can't do that myself)...but essentially, the main question: do you have an EU citizenship? Otherwise, you won't be able to get a residence permit for just "any" job you have to pass the Vorrangprüfung, meaning in a nutshell that it must be a job which only someone with your particular qualifications can do. English skils alone won't be enough. You'll need to get this one attended to beforehand, unless you could live off savings and go to a language school instead - then you could apply for residence as a language student.

Also, how is your German? Bear in mind that all the jobs you have mentioned will require fluent German (pub, coffee shop, general admin work, unless it's for a multinational company, and even then, most require at least a good standard of German).

All of the above also applies to your daught, of course. An Associates Degree won't be enough to open doors - what's her speciality? Would you have enough savings to support both of you if neither of you gets work, and both have to be here on a language learning visa?

Bonnie F, I think your post is on the wrong thread, so it will probably be moved to a different one (I can't do that myself)...but essentially,

Moved, moderation team

My daughter and I are considering moving to Germany with our 3 dogs in the Summer of 2015. Does anyone have any pointers or starting place to begin, as we are brand new to this, looking to move to Munich (it's always been her dream to live in Germany). We are seeking any and all advice that anyone can offer. Obviously, this is a brand new thing for us, and somewhat intimidating, but as they say, "live your dream". I am ready to help my daughter to live hers, so I guess a good question to start is, once we land there, where would be a good hotel to room in until we found a place to live? And as for jobs, what does the area have to offer? By then she will have her Associates Degree, I am an accounting clerk, but am also looking for just a 'plain old job'...something social, perhaps a coffee shop, pub...something to just get started. Briefly, that's where we're at, so any advice/info would be appreciated.

Without concrete plans and a job to come to this is foolish. Assuming you both have (or can get) a permit to live in Germany, and with that a permit to work (which without a confirmed professional job is unlikely- there are no visa for coffee shop workers) at the outset, you'll need to be prepared to live and support yourself for an indeterminate period of time. That includes not only the means to live (roof over your head and food to eat) but also approved health insurance.

By all means come over for a few weeks or a month (maximum 3 months allowed on a tourist visa) as a tourist to do some research and investigate the options, but unless you are very, very lucky I'll wager you will return home without any immediate chance of returning for the long term.

My advice is hang out around Kaiserslautern or K-Town as the yanks call it... or Heidelberg, theres some massive American military bases in the vicinity. Many American businesses too...American diners and bars etc..etc where you could probably land a job.

Hello all,

I have just moved to Munich from Ireland and I am looking for work.

I have mainly been applying for hotel jobs online but I am not even getting a reply.

My German at the moment is at a basic conversational level. Is it better to call to arrange an interview or to just go to the hotels and ask for the HR department/manager?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Dave

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

I have mainly been applying for hotel jobs online but I am not even getting a reply.

For what type of jobs have you been applying? What formal qualifications do you have?

I have a degree in Business Studies and a certificate in computing. finding a job immediately in one of these areas is very tricky.

To get a start i have been looking at hotels for jobs. I have worked in hotels as summer work before.

I have been applying for everything from dishwasher to service staff to barkeeper.

I am not getting any response from the applications via email i am sending out.

Is it better to apply in person and talk with a HR person or manager?

When you say you have just moved, do you mean a few weeks or a few months? (since your profile was set up in august). If you really do mean "just" moved, then expect things with applications to move slowly..especially with the Xmas period, there will be a backlog which they will get around to eventually.

Have you been applying to advertised vacant jobs, or sending blind applications? (expect even slower responses to the bline ones=. On the other hand, for hotel work, it may well be a good idea to phone them and see if they won't arrange to meet you immediately.

Your major challenge is going to be that you will be perceived as over-qualified for this sort of work (people will think you will only be there for a few months while you look for something better suited and better paid - and they're probably correct), while without the fluent German skills, you will struggle to get work to match your skillset.

My only suggestion would be to really push for the hotel jobs, phone, convince them you are interested, etc..to give you a breathing space to build up the German (as well as the knowledge of the culture).

I am here now for over a month. I have been applying for advertised jobs.

I understand finding work matching my skills is very difficult, that's why working in a hotel/bar would be okay with me. It would also give me the perfect opportunity to practice my German and improve my skills.

I´ll take your advice and try to show them that i am very interested in working for them. What i´ve been doing so far hasn't been working at all!

I understand finding work matching my skills is very difficult, that's why working in a hotel/bar would be okay with me. It would also give me the perfect opportunity to practice my German and improve my skills.

Employers are not really interested in how employees benefit from working for them, but rather how the company will benefit from employing the candidate. You need to stress what you can offer.

If you can follow simple instructions in German, I would suggest that you try the temp agencies. I would also highly recommend intensive German lessons.

Moving to Munich after 8 years in Germany

Help finding a Munich flat from outside of Munich

Hello everyone! I've accepted a job offer and will be moving to Munich soon. Really excited about it, because living in Munich has been a dream of mine for several years now. I'll be starting the new job in my current city, Braunschweig, and moving to Munich after completing the Einarbeitung and, more importantly, after finding an apartment. My company does not require me to be in Munich full time by a specific date, which gives me some flexibility.

A little bit of background info: I've been living and working in Germany for 8 years and am completely fluent in the language. Originally I am from the US (California), where I obtained my B.Sc. and M.Sc. in a certain field of engineering. I have a Niederlassungserlaubnis (permanent residency) and will have an open-ended contract with my employer with a quite acceptable salary. Single, early 30s, no pets, no children, non-smoker, blah blah blah. :-)

Finally, to the point: I am looking for a 3-room apartment (I have to dedicate a room for a home office) and because of my situation, will be doing most of my searching from outside of Munich (I'm an expensive 5-hour train ride to the north). So far, I've been scouring Immoscout24, Immonet, Wohnungsboerse.net and the Online Immobilienmarkt at the Sueddeutsche, and I will continue to do do. But this may not be the best approach considering my situation. Unfortunately, I can't just pop in for a quick Besichtigungstermin if I see something I like. I am not interested in relocation services or temporary solutions, and want to do just *one* big move down to Munich. My company is offering limited financial assistance for the move itself, but that's it.

My current criteria are: 3 rooms; =>65qm; balcony; if possible Neubau, or at the very least in good, recently renovated condition; washing machine connection in the bathroom; if possible, a nice and modern Einbaukueche (not absolutely necessary though); cellar storage space and a parking spot. Location: Schwanthalerhoehe, Schwabing, Schwabing-West, Maxvorstadt, Ludwigs-Isarvorstadt, Bogenhausen, Altstadt, Lehel, Au, Haidhausen, Neuhausen, Thalkirchen. Maximum 1200 Kaltmiete. I realize that this may be unrealistic and may have to compromise, but I have to start somewhere and hey, a guy can dream, right? :-) I targeting April 1 or May 1 as a move date, but can be flexible there if the apartment fits.

It seems that my best bet would be going through a Makler, as much as it makes me cringe. But, I am actually the type of client that a Makler would have to do some real work for, rather than just sending me a PDF, unlocking a door and sending me a massive bill. I imagine I would send them my search criteria and personal information, and they would prepare a small list of suitable places that I could hopefully look at on a one- or two-day trip to Munich (preferably on a weekend, but I suppose that's a long shot). I would do this with several Makler until one of them found the right apartment for me, and he/she would in turn get the massive Maklercourtage (ugh).

Does anyone have experience finding a "permanent" residence like this while living outside of Munich? Have any of you had *good* experiences with a Makler or Immobilienberater that you would recommend? Have you heard of good Makler through word of mouth? Are there specific Makler or Immobilienbueros that I should avoid? Are there other methods I should be considering?

Definitely looking for any advice anyone has to give me, whether it be answers to these questions or general suggestions, information, warnings, tips, etc. Thanks a lot in advance! Can't wait to arrive in Munich. :-)

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Love the title. Carries the idea that Munich and Bayern are not really part of Germany.

When we looked at our house here on Starnberg lake, I asked the women, who owned the house, where her kids were? She said, "one is studying in Munich, but someday she may study in Germany." Priceless.

But, I am actually the type of client that a Makler would have to do some real work for, rather than just sending me a PDF, unlocking a door and sending me a massive bill. I imagine I would send them my search criteria and personal information, and they would prepare a small list of suitable places that I could hopefully look at on a one- or two-day trip to Munich (preferably on a weekend, but I suppose that's a long shot). I would do this with several Makler until one of them found the right apartment for me, and he/she would in turn get the massive Maklercourtage (ugh).

I imagine you will have difficulty finding a Makler in Munich who imagines the same thing you do. And why would they, since when they just send a PDF and unlock a door, they normally get overrun by people who want the place.

This is what Munich is like; people give you horror stories of looking for a place for several months. Not being in town will make it practically impossible for you to get a decent place. So you will probably either have to get a furnished apartment for the first month or so while you look...or ask the big S...s (I'm assuming that's who it is) if they have apartments for relocating employees (I'm pretty sure they do in Erlangen, so they may do in Munich too).

Hi

I'm pinak.i am new in this site.This site is really good and helpful.I am new in munich.I live munich landsberg.I came from italy.So searching a job eagerly.It will be very helpful if i find a job.I was working in hotel last 2 year in italy,as a receptionist but suddenly i thought i need change and i need a peaceful place also my girlfriend live in landsberg that's why i moved.Now i want to be a part of munich.Can anybody help me to find a job.I just need a job don't care which kind.

If anyone can help me email me pinakhasan@live.com

Thank You

According to your profile, you are from Bangladesh. Unless you also have Italian citizenship, you are only allowed to spend 90 days in Germany within 6 months and you're not allowed to work here.

Hi everyone.

I've been reading here for a while and the people here seem very helpful so i figured i should try to ask you guys.

I'm from Israel, I have an Austrian citizenship and I'm planning to move soon to Munich to live with my girlfriend.

I was planning to do so after I finish my bachelors but life happened and now I've decided to stop studying here, move, learn German and continue my bachelors next year in Germany. Currently I'm at the end of my first semester of computer science degree, and I need to decide whether to finish the first year or move now.

I have no pity about this semester, I'm just worried that having finished only one semester might seem irresponsible or whatever and limit even more my chances of getting a proper job with my non existent German. I have 2 years of experience in software testing as I worked before I began my studies so with some luck I hope i can find a job in English, or in German after 6 months of German courses. I have found and applied for two jobs but i doubt that i will get an answer before the next semester starts.

My question is - how much will having one semester only of studying affect my chances of getting a job, considering the option of finishing my first year here? I have a feeling that German employers are not very tolerant and maybe having finished my first year will help me to get a job.

I will not have time to study German properly, so it's really about how will it look in my resume (one semester or one year)

Thanks!

I will not have time to study German properly, so it's really about how will it look in my resume (one semester or one year)

Germans are really interested in formal qualifications. With neither a degree nor the ability to speak German you'll have difficulty finding a job unless you are very lucky.

I would strongly recommend that you finish your degree before you move (and learn German).