Moving to Munich and my situation is unique

455 posts in this topic

Hello all.

Please can someone help me out please. I am moving to Munich next week from Czech Republic, where I have just sold my pub called The Immigrant. I will need a studio apt or a room in a house and also some contact in the construction industry. I am experienced in mining and can operate most types of heavy machinery and would like work in this sector. I am also happy to work as a barman, and I have tons of experience in this also. I also would like to find a German language teacher, as I want to concentrate on learning the lingo. If anybody can help, I would be really appreciative. You can PM me here or email me at pfquirke@gmail.com or mobile +420702464429.

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Patrick

I am a British national and after a telephone interview I have been offered a full time job in Munich. I am flying over on Sunday 28th to start the next day. I have only a British bank account. I was wondering about what I would need to do to sort everything out and how high a priority everything is. Presumably, I need to get a German equivalent of a national insurance number. That is presumably quite easy once I have the work contract? Will it be a problem that I will not exactly have a fixed address at first? I will be staying in a hostel for a few weeks until I can afford a deposit and everything to hopefully move into a shared place. Is this really all I need to do or am I unaware of other things. Such as health insurance, should I be looking into that now or is it also pointless until I have my work contract.

So far I have organised travel, the hostel and got myself a German phone number. I'm unsure if there is anything else I could/should be doing now in preparation.

Additionally, I was wondering if anyone is a member of any good, preferably central gyms in Munich. Specifically ones that do not tie you to a long contract. Does anyone have any leads on this topic?

Apologies for my rather jumbled post. I would appreciate any constructive advice.

Thank you for your time.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Hi liam,

Thank you for joining Toytown Germany, a forum that answers a plethora of questions any ex-pat might have. The Search function (top right of your monitor) is invaluable for finding such questions and answers. Do not hesitate to use it, make yourself familiar with the other features of the forum, enjoy your stay in Germany.

I'll be in Munich next week to apply for the blue card which means I'll be here for around six weeks. Assuming room and board are covered, how much money should I plan to bring with me, 500 euros? 1,000 euros?

I'm planning to check out different neighborhoods (planning where to live) and do tourist stuff.

Uh, well it depends on how much you plan to spend. These days most people have ATM cards and withdraw cash as they need it.

My bank charges international fees so I'm going to get Euros before I leave. It's mostly for gifts and the like as living expenses are going to be covered. I think 500 Euros will be plenty but I have no clue what the cost of items will be so I could run through that in the first month.

I suspect you'll get through that €500 in the first week, but you must understand that your question is impossible to answer. If you plan to buy a bar of Milka chocolate as a gift then that will set you back a euro but if you plan to buy a cuckoo clock then that's €300 gone right there. Have a think about what you want to buy, get an idea of how much it costs and add it all up. And then double it. And you still won't have enough. One always spends more than one expects. You'll probably spend €500 on coffee and soft drinks alone.

Hello All,

My wife and I are considering moving to Munich. She is Brazilian, I am Australian, but with German heritage, and we currently live in Sao Paulo. We are expecting our first child in November, and, while Brazil is a wonderful country, for a number of reasons we feel that Sao Paulo is not the best place to raise children. So we are weighing up options and we've both always loved Munich and Bavaria when visting my family there. Of course, visting at Christmas and living and working are different things! I have a few specific questions, and if anyone can answer them, it will help us make a more informed decision, so I would be very grateful.

For context, I have a German passport and speak good german, though I have never lived or worked in Germany. My wife speaks excellent English and native portuguese and spanish, but so far no German.

Work: I can transfer with my company, but my wife would like to eventually return to work. She studied engineering, worked for 4 years in supply chain, has an MBA from a good school and currently works at a management consulting firm. How easy / difficult is it for a well qualified professional who speaks no German to find a good job in Munich, and what are the part time options like? I have heard, purely anecdotally, that German culture can be hostile to working mothers - is this something anyone else has experienced, and does it actually matter?

Cost of living: I know Munich is among the most expensive cities in Germany, but does anyone know how it compares to London? I know I would earn approx. the same in Munich as in London, so I'm trying to guage whether we would have a better standard of living in Munich. Most relevantly, what is approx rent for a nice 2-3 bedroom house / apartment with a garden. From other posts I read, it looks like areas around Nymphenburg would suit our needs (close to parks, schools and transport, not too far from the centre but with a chance to find a house with a small garden - any other suggestions would be appreciated)

Langauge: I think it would take her about a year to learn business level German (that's how long it took me with portuguese in Brazil). I would be interested to know other people's experience with this. How long did it take you to learn social and business german after moving to Germany?

Thanks for taking the time to read. Any responses will be very appreciated

Ok - So I've since found a long thread on how long it takes to learn German - (discouraging!) I know it's annoying when people post questions already discussed at length, so please ignore that question.

Have another question (tried searching, didn't find an answer)! I've been focusing on getting the paperwork for my wifes residency visa in order that I neglected mine. I've got it all sorted out now however I forgot to get passport photos taken! I'm flying to Munich tomorrow and arrive Tuesday morning, my registration appointment is Wednesday. I'm staying at a hotel in Geising, can anyone tell me where I can go to get a passport photo taken that meets the german requirements?

We are expecting our first child in November, and, while Brazil is a wonderful country, for a number of reasons we feel that Sao Paulo is not the best place to raise children. So we are weighing up options and we've both always loved Munich and Bavaria when visting my family there. Of course, visting at Christmas and living and working are different things! I have a few specific questions, and if anyone can answer them, it will help us make a more informed decision, so I would be very grateful.

Why do you think that Germany would be better? Although Bavaria probably has one of the best school systems in Germany, Germany tends not to do very well in international rankings (you might want to read What teachers say to kids...).

but my wife would like to eventually return to work. She studied engineering, worked for 4 years in supply chain, has an MBA from a good school and currently works at a management consulting firm.

Is there any way that your wife can also receive a transfer?

How easy / difficult is it for a well qualified professional who speaks no German to find a good job in Munich

With the exception of IT, most management consulting in Germany is in German.

what are the part time options like? I have heard, purely anecdotally, that German culture can be hostile to working mothers - is this something anyone else has experienced, and does it actually matter?

There are not enough part-time positions for all the mothers who would be willing to work part-time. There was a study recently published that indicated approximately 30% of women with children in Germany would be willing to work (or work more) if they could find a part-time position and child care. I can't remember the name of the study, however, I did find this article.

Edit: I found the study and even a lobby group.

Thanks for the informative response Engelchen.

As to why I think Germany might be a better place to raise children - the German schools may not do that well in international rankings, but the schools here in Sao Paulo are surrounded by 3 metre high walls with barbed wire on top, and have armed guards standing at the doors. And they cost a lot of money, as as they are all private. There is also the fact that Munich, while it may be the most expensive city in Germany, is quite cheap compared to Sao Paulo. I pay 2500 euros a month here for a shoebox of an apartment, and from what I can see I can turn that into a house in Munich, which would certainly be nice.

Oi Sampa,

tudo bem? Maybe I can help you a bit in your woes about relocating to Munich and some of its problems, especially if you come from Brazil. I am German and live with my Brazilian wife (who originates from Sorocaba) in Munich for 7 years now. As my wife wanted to study here, she needed 2 years to get her German on a Abitur level. But that was hard work, sweat and some tears to get her so quickly on that level as German is not simple at all.

Especially the first year may be a bit frustrating as the language, climate and culture is very different what you both may be used to. My wife got depressed after the first year as she felt like she will never master the language and had strong saudade for Brazil. But now she settled in, is perfectly fluent and speaks already a good part of Bavarian :-)

By where to look for an apartment/house it would in my opinion depend where your work is located (for a Paulista everything will be near *rs*) and consider also living in one of the small towns around Munich if you want a bit more peace and silence.

We for example live in Garching, north of Munich (10 minutes drive by car to Munich, very handy to get to BMW if you work there, and direct connected by subway to the center) which is a very nice town with nice Cafees, Biergarden, very good sorveteria and important for us very close to the TUM (Technical University Munich). We moved here 3 years ago from another small town we didn't like so much (Eching) and love it here!

So if you may need some help, contact me!

Abracos,

Frank

Topics merged by admin

Hey Everyone!

Im Planning to move to germany in january 2014 to begin life in munich, i cant say my german is the worst but its not fluent as such.

I finished my leaving cert this year and i got 380 out of a possible 560 which im content with.

I have absolutely no idea how the points are convert or are changed, nor do i have any idea what i want to study at college. My Dad lives outside of munich and i will be staying with him which is fantastic but i need some say 'insider knowledge' on points, requirements and most certainly english courses.

Also wondering if anyone has had very weak german, and studied a course in german? i simply dont feel confident enough to study in german yet!

Appreciate all help! Please feel free to add me! Thanks again!

Also wondering if anyone has had very weak german, and studied a course in german? i simply dont feel confident enough to study in german yet!

You need at least C1 German to study in German in Germany and you can find info on the programmes offered here on the DAAD website.