Which TT moderators answer emails?

93 posts in this topic

Merging similar topics keeps the forum easy to read. It keeps the main information in one topic. It updates old information when circumstances have changed. It minimizes the places that a newbie has to look once he has mastered the search function.

I understand your point, but my moved/merged post focused on one particular sub-topic that had not been covered in the threads with similar topics.

By creating it outside those existing threads, I was (or might have been -- had it not been immediately merged) able to draw attention to the specific questions that were in my post.

Once merged, a post tends to get lost in the shuffle, particularly with all the off-topic chit-chat that frequently gets inserted.

★★★ What about considering merging after the post gets a few days worth of replies? ★★★

Oh FFS, if you don't like the way the forum is run, then find another. Or start your own, where you can do everything the way you like.

That's shit advice, it's like saying 'if you don't like this planet, go and find your own'.

Sounds like you've hit the nail on the head, Chocky!

EDIT: I agree with MAM. I'll put the hammer away, Chocky.

Once merged, a post tends to get lost in the shuffle, particularly with all the off-topic chit-chat that frequently gets inserted.

I felt that way when I first got here, too, and this board does work differently than any other that I've been active on, but what you post above isn't really true.

When you go into a thread from the list of new posts, it takes you to the first one that you haven't read yet. So, yes, sometimes I wind up reading a post from 2011, but generally it takes me straight to the post from today or yesterday or whatever.

Finding another planet is not that easy. Finding another forum is trivial. Nobody owns this planet. EB and/or the local completely own this forum. And us. And our personalities, and depravities, and perversions.

Hey I should be shown more respect considering how much depravity & perversion I contribute.

Come on mods! Respect!!!

Now that you've identified yourself as an Admin I'll PM you next time instead.

With all due respect, please try to figure things out for yourself first next time, instead of PMing someone. That would involve using the search box (in the upper right corner of your screen) and, for matters related to the forum itself, reading the threads in Metachat, which is the forum section where this thread (which is a forum conversation) is located. You could also post a genuine question instead of a rant, to which someone in the helpful TT community will surely provide an answer forthwith.

I also suggest you read the Forum usage guidelines and this Wikipedia article.

As I said before, given that you have been a Toytown member for over 4 years, you are expected to know your way around by now. I apologize if you're dissatisfied with the level of service on this forum. Please feel free to cancel your subscription for a full refund at any time.

Because he's been a member for 4 years, doesn't mean he's been active enough to know the quirks. Or maybe he's just dumb, as you (probably rightly) imply.

Because he's been a member for 4 years, doesn't mean he's been active enough to know the quirks.

True. I had his 87 posts in the adult section alone during my first couple of days here.

That's when you guys started making me very aware of the quirks of this board... :P

Once merged, a post tends to generate new responses or have people draw attention to earlier, relevant responses.

What about considering merging after the post gets a few days worth of replies?

No, because then we have several parallel topics covering the same question with cross references and double postings. If these two topics are then merged you get total chaos. And since the workings of the board already seem pretty difficult to understand that would not increase the readability, quite the contrary.

Besides, do you really expect moderators to make a reminder in their little black books to get back to several topics a week and merge them "after a few days of replies"?

Its like leaving your socks on the radiator to dry and the "partner/wife/cleaner" moves them!

Ah, my wife would make an AWESOME TT moderator then! Just the other day she "tidied" away (hid) my mobile charger.

That's shit advice, it's like saying 'if you don't like this planet, go and find your own'.

I used to regularly follow this advice, but found seeds expensive and illegal in Bavaria.

Has anyone been pmming The Local or The Local Germany and gotten a response from them?

Why would we ever want to do that?

Finding another forum is trivial.

I disagree, if we were talking about people who habitually sign up to any forum they stumble upon just to talk about random bollocks with complete strangers about nothing of any real consequence (Ok, I know that applies to a lot of the chat that goes on on TT) then yes it would be a purely trivial matter, but these boards are also a very useful resource for people who have just arrived in country and are adjusting to life in what can feel at times like a pretty inhospitable country.

And it's unique, i.e. there are no other english language forums for expats in Germany (that I know of) so I think there is a case for the mods being a bit flexible occasionally rather than acting like judge, jury and executioner against minor infractions of the 'rules' (in inverted commas, because let's face it they are pretty arbitrary.)

Neg away.

I actually wasn't intending that to be 'bait' Sara, my point was that to some extent, Toytown should be considered public property.