House plants - general info and advice

67 posts in this topic

I'm looking for house plants that can survive my wrath. I've tried a few different varieties and so far, the only ones still living are a couple of aloe plants and one palm tree-looking thing. What I can realistically offer a plant is good sun, (mostly) regular waterings & a yearly re-pot. Is there anything else out there for me?

Thanks for any advice. :)

post-1522-1138692232.gif

Oh- I also have one cactus! (One's enough.)

You manage to re-pot yearly?

Until I got the cats, I had a rubber tree and a Benjamin tree thing that survived drought and flood with me for over 10 years - each was repotted once during that time. Everything else died, so I can't help too much there.

repotting yearly is too much, really - you shouldn't do it more than every other year, maximum

what kind of sun will they get? are you south-facing, north-facing?

it all makes a difference

generally low-maintenance plants are:

spider plants

aspidistras

mother-in-law's tongue

ferns

rubber plants

yuccas

but you can pick something a bit less run-of-the-mill if you get a plant that is suited to the climate and conditions that you can offer it.

My bamboo's doing pretty well indoors - I got one of those 'lucky bamboo' plants, and apart from a few stems dying, the rest are quite tall now. What kind of plants do you like though? Ones with lots of foliage, or flowers or fruit..?

i was goign to suggest bamboo. you dont even need a pot! just a glass or something filled w/ water- fill it up and leave it and remember to check on it every so often and refill :)

cactus (but you dont want another), aloe, but you have one.

hmm...

african violet, english ivy, jade plant...

other suggestions

have you had a lot of success with african violets?

i've never managed to keep one for longer than a couple of weeks, and I have a lot of plants

Spider plants!! Free cuttings, available from some of your favourite Toytowners, if you act fast!

I'd suggest getting a ficus, if my 'cosmopolitan ficus' is anything to go by.

I got it about ...errr... 3 or 4 years ago and it has survived being moved from the UK to Munich and back again and has roughly trebled in size.

All they need is a bit of sun,TLC and water.

@topsy- actually yeah no prob. and i never do anythign w/ them! had it since last yr sometime. at the moment it's residing at my parent's house w/ my other plants, but at Christmas the damn thing is still around (it's one of my least fav plants so i dont mind if it decides to leave me for a better life)

I think my "problem" is that I have one wall of windows, and they all face south. So they are big windows and it's a sunny flat, but I can't keep any plants that like shade at all.

African violets can't flourish in direct sunlight, I don't think. In fact, I've never really had any success with flowering plants, and I think most flowering houseplants need a bit of shade.

I agree that Ficus in general are usually quite hardy and versatile as well. The rubber plant that I mentioned in my first post is a variety of ficus, but you could probably pick any kind of ficus and you'd be alright. I've got a benjamin fig as well, I've had her for years, and she's fine.

You've set me off now on one of my favourite topics, you won't be able to shut me up on this one :rolleyes:

are spider plants the hanging kind? if so, are they okay sitting on a bookshelf? (okay- i realize that this isn't a big concern at the cutting stage...) well, if my favorite tters would be willing to part with a small portion, that would great. :D

i guess the type of plants that i like the most would be anything lush. i really liked my fern before i killed it.

i have east/west windows, so anything near them gets at least partial sun.

thanks everyone- these suggestions are great!

oh & as for the re-potting, i just said that because i thought i could manage once a year if needed. i've never had anything last a whole year.

oh, if you have east/west windows, then you should be fine - the plant world is your oyster :D

this is a spider plant with lots and lots of offshoots:

SpiderPlant01.jpg

mine's not doing too well at the mo (I kind of neglected my plants in January), but if you got a cutting from Lupo's spider plant, then that would make mine a great grandmother :)

here's a benjamin fig, they are quite "lush" as well:

FiMidStd.jpg

I quite like dieffenbachias, as well, but I can't really keep them cos they want too much shade:

DifCam.jpg

denverplants.com is a good source of info on plants, btw - have a browse through their "interior plants" section and see what you fancy the look of, and whether it's low-maintenance enough for you.

generally you shouldn't re-pot more than once every two years, for some plants even that would be overdoing it

House plants need more than sun, shade, and water - they need food!! You have to give them plant food every once in awhile or they will die. There are only so many nutrients in a pot of dirt and they won't last forever. I used to kill plants all the time too, but since I started feeding them, they are all happy and healthy.

And, I have African violets that get tons of sun - direct sun in the afternoon and they love it - big beautiful blooms all the time.

My Ficus is called Bitch Tree as it spits leaves at you if it doesn't like something. Too hot, too cold, window open, too this too that, oh it is Tuesday *spit spit spit*

Hard to kill are aspidistras, rubber plants, most types of Philodendrom (one type being the Monstera - aka Cheese Plant):

post-356-1138699248.jpg

The idea of the Philodendrom came to me because I saw a beautiful one in Landshut cathedral and thought, well, if it can survive in there, it will live in the darkest corner of my living room. And it does.

Here's a good list of which plant goes where.

They need sun, shade, water, air, humidity, food, all in varying degrees and to different extents depending on the season, and depending on the plant.

I've already got way too many plants as it is. It's like a flippin jungle in my flat, if I've got a roomfull of peeps then inevitably there's at least one person sat peeping out from behind a leaf :rolleyes:

good link from Katrina

your African Violet doesn't get sun all day, KK64 - that's the difference (all my plants do, because I can't put them anywhere that isn't in direct sunlight, really)

but toast would be alright with an African violet with her windows if they are east/west, cos they would get some sun and some shade

Ok, I unfortunately do not have a recommendation for you - I have had a Ficus Benjamina now for 10 years, it's still alive and I never do anything but water it and give it some plant food once in a while. But I have a different question.. :huh:

Beginning of the frosty period, I took in all my trees and put them in a room inside which we don't use. I turned down the heaters to keep it cold, but not frosty. A couple of weeks ago I saw the damn buggers are forming buds already - in January! The one bush already has its first, tiny leaves! Soon they'll be flowering. What do I do when that happens? They'll be flowering and there won't be any bees to pollenise the flowers! What must I do? :ph34r: Pollenise the flowers by hand?

Mother-in-law's tongue (sanseveria), definitely. A bit scary-looking, with long pointed leaves, but an absolute dream to look after, ie. needs and sensitivity are zero. And very soothing, apparently - one of them in a bedroom helps promote restful sleep (so says an acquaintance who knows stuff like that). Mine grew from a hacked-off scrap of root the size of a scampi (scampus?!) to being as tall as I am (5'7") with occasional waterings and a bit of sweet-talking now and again.

Mother in law's tongue is fab - I think it's called something else in North America, but I can't remember what.

It's not very lush, as such, but you can treat it really really mean and it will still do OK.