Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What insurances are tax deductible

5 posts in this topic

Need some tax advice with regards to tax deductions related to insurance premiums.

First time doing a German tax return on my own. I heard some colleagues at work say that the premium paid on insurance products that cover risk to a third party is tax deductible. For example, the third party liability insurance. The portion of one's own car insurance that covers someone else's damages. In other words, premium paid to cover own risks is not tax deductible, but premium paid to cover someone else's risk is. Question #1, Is this true?

If so, question #2, does it mean that I could claim tax deductions for the property insurance I pay on behalf of my landlord in the form of Nebenkosten? My landlord fully passes on to me his insurance costs related to the property I rent (Wohngebaude, Glas, Haus und Grundbesitzerhaftplicht). He gave me a copy of the insurance invoice (obviously under his name) and the annual reconciliation letter of the nebenkosten where it states that he is passing those charges to me. Assuming that the answer to my question #2 is positive, would this be acceptable to the Finanzamt or the fact that the original bill is not in my name could become an issue?

Thank you to those of you who take time to respond. Much appreciated!

To answer your questions:

1. it's true
  2. you could claim for them, but there is a big BUT in there.
    The problem is that there is a 1,900€ cap per year for employees for the sum of all claimable insurances, and most people already reach that amount with their share in their health insurance (which is deductible even if it is more than 1,900€ a year, don't let that confuse you).
    So, most people don't have any space left under that cap for other insurance, so insurances apart from health insurance end up being deductible only in theory.
    For details please see Int'l Health Insurance in Germany, some are legal!.

However, did you look into getting back 20% of the Hausmeister and maintenance costs of your Nebenkostenabrechnung from your landlord?

That's a special deal in that you really simply get back 20% of those costs, whatever your personal tax rate may be.

For details please see Filing a tax return - help on how to file.

ElsterFormular shows these instructions for Line 50 on Anlage Vorsorgeaufwand 2013:

Beiträge für private Haftpflichtversicherungen können Sie ebenfalls in Zeile 50 geltend machen.

Beiträge zu Kasko-, Hausrat- und Rechtsschutzversicherungen sind nicht abziehbar.

1) Do I then deduct business liability insurance as standard business expense, or is there a special line on Anlage EÜR?

2) Are travel insurance (both private and business), and legal insurance (both private and business, but I assume only the business part can be considered) deductible? Goes in Anlage EÜR?

Thanks

Thanks. I think it goes into Line 44, Field 223

Beiträge, Gebühren, Abgaben und Versicherungen (ohne solche für Gebäude

und Kraftfahrzeuge)

Google translate: Contributions, fees, taxes and insurance (other than for building

and motor vehicles)