US passport renewal in Berlin

32 posts in this topic

So this is terrific. We're receiving conflicting information! When you try to book the Ausländerbehörde appointment online (http://www.berlin.de/labo/auslaender/dienststelle/auslterminvereinb_de.html) for specifically what I want to do (so if you select USA for citizenship and request as "Transfer of a valid residence permit to a new passport"), you get the following stipulations under the "Notes" section:

"Transfer in a Bürgeramt

You can generally have the transfer carried out at any Berlin Citizens Registration Office, as long as the following requirements are met:

- You have the expired passport with a valid residence permit.

- The residence permit was issued by the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office.

- The old passport has not been expired for more than six months.

- You have not resided outside the federal territory for a continuous period longer than six months.

Transfer in the Ausländerbehörde

If one of the above mentioned requirements for making the transfer at the Citizens Registration Office (Bürgeramt) is not met (e.g. old passport is no longer present, the residence permit was not issued by the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office) the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office is responsible for the transfer. Please go to the Service point in the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office."

I meet all of those requirements - I have the old passport and a valid eAT, it was issued by the Berlin Ausländerbehörde, it is within 6 months, and I have been here the whole time.

So we went to the Bürgeramt today and were told that we couldn't have it done there. Why? Because, and I quote, "we can't issue one of these cards." But the foreigners' office website says you can do this transfer. "No, you have to go to the Ausländerbehörde." But the website says the Bürgeramt can do this. Guy looks at the website for a minute then says "well I don't have a machine for these cards. So go there."

WTF?!

I had the same problem with the visa transfer. In the end the Auslanderbehorde did it. At first I went to the BurgerAmt. Their website said they would do it, and the Auslander website specifically said I must go to the BurgerAmt.

When I was at the BurgerAmt they gave me a rather terse telling off for being there and told me to go to the Auslander office.

So yeah, when in doubt, go to the Auslander office.

@Perdido

Dude, since when do German Border guards control access to US Consulates.. Reread what I wrote and you quoted.

I was referring to the Border cops at the airports. Nothing to do with Checks at consulates..

Why would you need to show them your visa? I've never had to.

Why would you need to show them your visa? I've never had to.

Not all of them are good at checking, but I've had to show my eAT card several times, most recently when traveling from Berlin to the U.S. via Amsterdam... although of course that was a Dutch border cop. She specifically asked to see it after noticing that my passport stamp entries were all more than 90 days old.

I meet all of those requirements - I have the old passport and a valid eAT, it was issued by the Berlin Ausländerbehörde, it is within 6 months, and I have been here the whole time.

I was at the ABH last week and got into a small argument with someone in Z6 about the cards, however, I have an answer for you.

The Bürgerämter do not have the necessary technical capabilities needed to order/edit the cards, however, they can stick on change of address stickers.

The Senatsverwaltung has issued the order for the ABH to only issue cards in special circumstances and it is supposedly at the discretion of the Sachbearbeiter.

You should probably go to Z5 (since you are the dependent of an EU citizen) at the ABH first. Take your Mutterpass with you and tell them you just want to apply for a new card since you have a new passport. Be polite, but firm and let them know that you can't spend all day there in your condition.

Good luck!

As of today the photo machine is still there and still costs €6. They have a stamp machine and atm as well. I was in and out in about 5 minutes.

I have to renew my US passport sometime later this year. I live in Dresden so getting to Berlin is not so bad and I'm in Bremen a couple times per year. Does Berlin still have the long waits? Is Bremen any better? Has anyone mailed their renewal in? I just don't like the idea of it going both ways by Post even with certified mail. Plus then I don't have the passport for a few weeks, so if I had an emergency back in the states and had to get back right away I'd be stuck. Any comments??

I renewed my US passport by mail. No hassles and I got it in two weeks. I live in Berlin. In those 2 weeks I was not allowed to leave the country. I carried photocopies of everything, just in case.

I got my permanent visa recently and went through the ausländerbehörde in Berlin. (hubby is German) We made an appointment on line and asked all of our questions by email. I got an appointment with a set time and a room via post. Brought the stack of papers that were needed (rental contract, last 2 years of pay stubs, B1 proof etc) I was in and out within 15 minutes - as long as it took her to copy or scan all the papers and fill out a form. I went back maybe 4 weeks later to pic up the new card and green folded paper. The appointment also came by mail and I went by myself, no hassle.

I guess in 2020 I will need a new everything. :)

For the Burgeramt appointment for transferring a residence permit into a new passport, does anyone know if children need to be there in person or can I as their parent bring all their documents so they don't have to skip school?  I couldn't find this specified anywhere on the Berlin government website.  

I got "lucky"by getting appointments for 8 weeks from now far away from where I live in Berlin, but at least I got an appointment.

anyone use a remotely notarized permission form for a minor's parent that doesn't come to the Berlin consulate for the minor's passport renewal?  e.g. via Notary.com, etc.  ?

What I mean is: rather than the trouble and expense of a German Notar, use an online service to have a U.S. notary remotely notarize the form.  Anyone do it recently and have it accepted?

Dear TT Community,

I'd still like to know if anyone has actually submitted a remotely notarized permission form to renew a minor's passport, but ACS Berlin says it is okay if the U.S. state allows online notarization. 

Capture.PNG.ccb207c843b01eba62e0cd5060ac