Importing cars to Germany

70 posts in this topic

Hello!

I looking for a little help. I'm moving to Düssledorf in a few weeks to start a new job, and I'll likely be there for around 2 years at least. I will be working in Wegberg, about 50 mins drive from Düssledorf, and I am unsure what the best option is regarding cars. Someone told me insurance is quite high for Brits so suggested I bring a car from the UK. Are there any others out there who bought or rented cars that have any advice??

Thanks!

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

What can I say, I like to drive fast.

It costs about $1100 to $1800 to have my Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 shipped from the United States to Germany.

The only problem is getting car insurance. No one here in the US will insure the vehicle once it leaves North American soil.

I WANT TO DRIVE MY CAR ON THE AUTOBAHN - legally.

1: What company do you know will insure my vehicle in Germany?

2: What port fees are collected, etc

Thanks for your help!

post-264947-14237776867682.jpg

sell the Shelby, buy an M5 or RS6 when you get here, drive even faster.

Can you just tell me what company will insure my vehicle once I arrive in Germany?

Probably not, at least not without further information. First you'll have to find out whether you can even make it roadworthy in Germany - which means inquiring whether all its parts (including after-market parts) have been TÜV-approved.

Two more things you should know:

1) Insurance is roughly calculated by horsepower: the more horsepower, the higher the insurance

2) Gas costs about 4 times as much in Germany as in the U.S.

3) for a comparable car and coverage, insurance is about 4X - 8X more expensive than in the US (dependent on location of course)

Can you just tell me what company will insure my vehicle once I arrive in Germany?

Welcome to Toytown, shelbygirl

If you are coming to Germany as a member of the U.S. Military, DoD, DoDDS, or their support components, TESA contractors, etc. then the NATO SOFA applies so you and your car would be registered through the USAREUR system. NATO-tariff car insurance is offered by USAA, one or two other US insurers and four German insurance companies. NATO tariff is classed (for service members) by age, rank, marital status, value and age of vehicle. For married drivers over 25, or singles over 35 the NATO rates are competitive otherwise, provided you can present original confirmation from your US insurance provider (not broker) of some years accident-claim free insured driving record, the German tariff is often more advantageous.

For more tips you should search for threads on the U.S.Military forum. Go to the 'Discussion forum' page click on the 'U.S Military' forum then put 'auto insurance' or 'car insurance' into the forum search box (at bottom left).

If you are planning on importing that car as a civilian then finding a company to insure it is really going to be the lesser of your headaches.

Putting 'car insurance' into the primary TT search box (top right) would have pulled up 100 threads on the subject. Here are some which may be worth your time researching.

Insurance:

German car insurance based on foreign data

Differences between "Vollkasko" and "Teilkasko"

German car insurance

Car insurance - Schadenfreiheitsklasse

Car insurance advice needed

Are my car insurance premiums too high?

Applying for car insurance in Germany

(Avoiding) Import duties:

German Customs: What is personal property (property moved in connection with a transfer of residence)?

Vehicle Conversion & Compliance Info:

TÜV SÜD VEHICLE - Services - Individual type approval

TÜV SÜD Datenblatt-Service

Vollgutachten §21 - Vorab informiert | TÜV SÜD GRUPPE

STVZO 2012 Section 21 Google Translate

Auto & Fahrzeuge - Eintragungen, Änderungsabnahmen & Tuning- Vorab informiert | TÜV SÜD GRUPPE

I'd highly recommend you put 'Importing US car', 'Converting US car', 'US auto conversion' into the search box and study the (especially longer) threads for an overview of the potentially expensive problems you need to beware of.

Good luck with your plan.

2B

ETA: Wrt the German sites; you can copy/paste 300- 500 word text blocks into translate.google.com or just enter the German webpage URLs. After clicking on both 'Translate' and 'Translating...' you should get a somewhat comprehensible result, albeit the longer or the more rare or multi-definition words included the higher the Yodafication factor tends to be.

You need residence in Germany for a German insurance to insure the car.

While full cover would cost me between 1000 and 1500€, a teenager would easily have to pay 4000€+.

Possible insurances: Allianz: 4000€+, http://exoten.assekurati.de/, http://www.wuerttembergische.de

Many other companies will insure the car. It might get expensive.

FWIW, I see Mustangs a plenty in Berlin, so I know it's not only possible but (relatively) common to get them compliant with German laws. No idea who specifically to steer you towards, however.