Where to get basic information on Taxes

58 posts in this topic

So exciting. I thought this would be the best thing ever, but did not in my wildest dreams think that you would actually go through all the hassle.

Thank you for making the effort, our Panda, and best wishes as you start up as a tax advisor. As your website says, you did already have the knowledge...

You really are a magnificent over-achiever, and I am so glad :)

5 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

I actually went and did it, I took the Steuerberater exam.

So now you can call me a Steuerberaterin, @john g. ;)

wow... well done !
Let us talk soon if you like/need Expat clients.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Super news!

If only you had done it years earlier. . . .

I might have stayed in the business if I had a Steuerberaterin as knowledgeable, English proficient and most important:  intellectually curious - as you.

You may rest assured that I will be sending referrals your way.

Congratulations!

Same here, Straightpoop! Panda has been a star on here over the years and will be for a  long time. We will recommend her to everyone.

And for the cynics (which there always are ): I will NOT be on commission.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

6 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

Thanks everybody! 

@john g.

Yes, of course :)

Just point them towards my website: https://expertise.tax

Can´t see a p:Dicture of a panda anywhere..is it because of my eyesight?

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

2 hours ago, john g. said:

Same here, Straightpoop! Panda has been a star on here over the years and will be for a  long time. We will recommend her to everyone.

And for the cynics (which there always are ): I will NOT be on commission.

Thank you for the endorsement, John!

And you can always point the cynics to §9 StBerG, which lays down that a Steuerberater is strictly forbidden from either giving or accepting a commission :)

That still would be a geldwerter Vorteil and therefore forbidden.

This profession has very strict rules (Berufsrecht) which are spread over 7 thick tomes:  https://www.bstbk.de/de/steuerberater/berufsrecht/

To get a taste of these rules, just read §57 StBerG which has my personal favourite ;)

• (2) Steuerberater und Steuerbevollmächtigte haben sich jeder Tätigkeit zu enthalten, die mit ihrem Beruf oder mit dem Ansehen des Berufs nicht vereinbar ist. Sie haben sich auch außerhalb der Berufstätigkeit des Vertrauens und der Achtung würdig zu erweisen, die ihr Beruf erfordert.
  • (2) Tax advisors and tax agents shall refrain from any activity that is incompatible with their profession or that hurts the reputation of the profession. Not only in their business life but also in their private life, they have to prove themselves worthy of the trust and respect which their profession requires.

Need I quote more? ;)

18 hours ago, HEM said:

Congratulations

20 hours ago, Smaug said:

Where do we send the flowers and the chocolates to?

Flowers? chocolates?  Bundles of bamboo shoots more like...

Not incompatible my dear HEM! :-) 

Capture.JPG

Panda,  

I have been reading your posts with admiration and respect for the last half year, since I found them. A big congratulations to you for your achievement, and for deciding enough is enough in giving out free info to rich expats!

I would write you directly through your new website, but I suspect my questions may interest many here who would like to change to you as their new Steuerberater/in.

When I started many years ago with my current (and terrible) Steuerberater, I signed some form for the Finanzamt stating that he could represent me.  Do I need to rescind this somehow, or, as a new client, would I simply sign one with you?  

Further, my taxes for 2017 have not yet been approved by the FA.

Is it possible to change Steuerberatern while there are these outstanding issues? Would he simply continue to deal with the previous year issues, while you would be responsible for taxes going forward?  I'm a little worried about notifying my current SB, as I feel he might be offended and not continue to work on the outstanding issues from 2017.  Any advice?

I assume taking on clients living outside of Bayern is not a problem? 

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, partched said:

When I started many years ago with my current (and terrible) Steuerberater, I signed some form for the Finanzamt stating that he could represent me.  Do I need to rescind this somehow, or, as a new client, would I simply sign one with you? 

Yes, officially according to §80 (1) sentence 3 AO (that's the link to the English version of the AO)  you need to revoke (= widerrufen) that form with which you empowered the old tax advisor (Steuerberater) to act for you, which is called "Vollmacht zur Vertretung in Steuersachen".

But that revocation (= Widerruf) is actually included in the new "Vollmacht zur Vetretung in Steuersachen" that you would sign with me and that I would then send to the Finanzamt:

• line 26: "Bisher erteilte Vollmachten erlöschen." = "Powers of attorney granted so far expire herewith."

So you just need to sign my new Vollmacht, the revocation of your old Vollmacht is included in there.

Further, my taxes for 2017 have not yet been approved by the FA.

Is it possible to change Steuerberatern while there are these outstanding issues? Would he simply continue to deal with the previous year issues, while you would be responsible for taxes going forward?

Yes, you can always change your tax advisor (Steuerberater).

Your previous Steuerberater would deal with all the issues pertaining to your old 2017 tax return, and I would be only be responsible for the later years, for which I would be doing the work.

This changeover would be reflected in the new Vollmacht, since we can specify in line 23 of it, from which tax return my Vollmacht will be valid, in your case, it shouldn't be valid for any tax returns before 2018, i.e. it should only be valid starting with the tax return 2018.

If you are married and intend to file jointly (which means less tax to pay in 99.9% of cases), I will also need a separate Vollmacht signed by your spouse.

I'm a little worried about notifying my current SB, as I feel he might be offended and not continue to work on the outstanding issues from 2017.

That would actually be against the laws regulating the professional conduct of Steuerberater (= Berufsrecht).

He has to give his best for his clients for all years that he is responsible for.

All Steuerberater are bound by these laws.

But if you're still worried about that, you can always just wait until your 2017 tax return has been processed and a final Bescheid that you agree with has been issued before you tell your Steuerberater that you want to leave him and only after that sign my Vollmacht.

However, I think your Steuerberater already knows that you are unhappy and he will not be too surprised when you tell him that you want to change.

I assume taking on clients living outside of Bayern is not a problem?

Yes, tax law being a national law and therefore the same everywhere throughout Germany, you can become my client no matter where you live.

**************************************************************************************************************************

When you do decide to change, I will need some documents from you, as requested by the law.

German money laundering law §8 GWG obliges all Steuerberater to identify their clients by getting:

1. a scan or photo or copy of your passport or EU identity card, and
  2. proof of your German address, i.e. a scan or photo or copy of your Anmeldebestätigung.

You can send them to me either by e-mail or by snail mail to my postal address (listed on my website).

To fill in the Vollmacht correctly, I will also need to know:

1. your Steuer-Identifikationsnummer (IdNr.) and
  2. your Steuernummer.

Both are written in the top-left corner of the first page of any Bescheid from the Finanzamt (see the green numbers below).

It's probably easiest to just send me a copy of your latest Steuer-Bescheid.

5d9cef2ae26c7_2019-10-0822_14_31-Window.

If you are married, I will also need those scans or photos or copies of your spouse's:

1. passport or identity card
  2. Anmeldebestätigung
  3. IdNr.
  4. Steuernummer

I would then fill in and send you the Vollmacht (or two Vollmachten if you're married), you would sign two originals (one for me, one for the Finanzamt) and return them to me by snail mail.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask, either here in the forum or by e-mail (listed on my website:)

15 hours ago, partched said:

... and for deciding enough is enough in giving out free info to rich expats!

Ummm.  I'm sure that not all expats that PandaM has helped in the past are rich***.

*** Is the status "rich" actually defined anywhere?

15 hours ago, partched said:

... A big congratulations to you for your achievement, and for deciding enough is enough in giving out free info to rich expats!

But please, just one more piece of free advice to this "rich expat"!

51 minutes ago, HEM said:

Ummm.  I'm sure that not all expats that PandaM has helped in the past are rich***.

*** Is the status "rich" actually defined anywhere?

(= Agreed.  But the generosity of PandaMunich to the entire community, rich and poor, is simply staggering. 

As to "rich," there are pages and pages of discussion concerning people expecting inheritances over and above the allowed exemption of 800,000 Euros.  I don't know about a precise definition, but it seems to me if someone is getting an inheritance of nearly one million dollars, we might loosely classify them as "rich".  

35 minutes ago, partched said:

(= Agreed.  But the generosity of PandaMunich to the entire community, rich and poor, is simply staggering. 

Thats not being called into question  :)

As to "rich," there are pages and pages of discussion concerning people expecting inheritances over and above the allowed exemption of 800,000 Euros.  I don't know about a precise definition, but it seems to me if someone is getting an inheritance of nearly one million dollars, we might loosely classify them as "rich".  

Thats a relief - thats way above the combined sum of anything I got!