Hi, am calling from Microsoft. Your PC is infected

198 posts in this topic

Warning they have started up again, first time this year. Maybe those arrests in the North of England shut them down for a while but got 2 yesterday apparently from German 0361... code, much more sophisticated this time. Typical call centre delay before any audio from the caller but no background noise or mention of Microsoft/Windows, otherwise same old story. This time though a very slow English speaking lady without any apparent sub-continent dialect, could be electronically modified.

I am amazed that there is anybody left in the world who would fall for this scam and why telephone numbers where they have consistently failed are not deleted, who knows. I am consoled by the thought that maybe the potential scammers are being scammed into buying useless lists of telephone numbers.:rolleyes:

I get a scam call at least once a week.

They start with an automated voice saying they've heard I've been involved in a car accident or someone is hacking my internet connection, slowing it down.

I keep them on the phone telling them a story for as long as possible until they tire of me and hang up.

Strangely, the don't delete my number and at a later date, will call me again.

Although the number is based in the UK, the callers are from India or that region.

20 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Although the number is based in the UK, the callers are from India or that region.

I think it is called Bradford!;)

23 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I am consoled by the thought that maybe the potential scammers are being scammed into buying useless lists of telephone numbers.:rolleyes:

You are not too far off the mark, you can bulk buy phone numbers by the thousands, the more expensive ones have the least error rate, about 60% duds, but with the cheaper ones you are looking at a error rate of 95 to 98%. However with autodial it´s not much of a problem as the software only puts the live numbers through to a actual person.

I (Ahem!) worked in a call-center for a online gaming company on Malta for a while and I must admit I never got my head around it and left after a few months. In the next office there was a cold-caller call center and the guys and galls there were trained in how to respond to people trying to scam the scammer. Believe me it´s like arguing with a toaster.

6 minutes ago, slammer said:

You are not too far off the mark, you can bulk buy phone numbers by the thousands, the more expensive ones have the least error rate, about 60% duds, but with the cheaper ones you are looking at a error rate of 95 to 98%. However with autodial it´s not much of a problem as the software only puts the live numbers through to a actual person.

Interesting, what about telephone costs though, I don't doubt these call centres have a flat rate but even so making thousands of calls from the sub-continent to Europe can't be cost free?

12 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Interesting, what about telephone costs though, I don't doubt these call centres have a flat rate but even so making thousands of calls from the sub-continent to Europe can't be cost free?

VOIP can be almost free.

3 hours ago, hooperski said:

I get a scam call at least once a week.

They start with an automated voice saying they've heard I've been involved in a car accident or someone is hacking my internet connection, slowing it down.

I keep them on the phone telling them a story for as long as possible until they tire of me and hang up.

Strangely, the don't delete my number and at a later date, will call me again.

Last time somebody called me to tell me my computer is infected I told them I don't have one. They haven't called since. 

With internet you can get a phone number from any country so they can be anywhere in the world calling you with a UK or German number.

We are getting 4 or 5 calls a week at the moment. I've tried holding them on the phone for a while and sometimes a short and to the point expletive, but I wondered if anyone had any luck with some form of call scanning hardware or service. There are caller ID scanners, or this TrueCall which seems popular in the UK, but I think half the problem is that these callers hop from number to number. I wondered if anyone was aware of services specific to Germany, possibly via Unity Media or other comms providers that might be more useful. Ideally something based on a collaborative model so as soon as a number is identified as a nusance by a few people, it gets flagged for everyone else.

If you have the presence of mind there are a few ways to go with this depending on your mood:

1. Lay the phone gently on the table, walk away and let them talk...

2. Tell them in hurt tones that you just left the bedside of your dying mother-in-law and that you fear missing her last moments if you stay on the phone...

3. Ask them to hold, "pass" the phone to your excruciatingly handicapped niece (if you are a  woman) or nephew (if not) and attempt to communicate with them in muffled monosyllables. See who gives up first.

Got another one today but this time actually in German, 07--- number from memory, terrible Deutsch with sub-continent accent. Maybe they finally decided my lack of response (I just wait for them to go through their spiel and then hang-up) was due to me not understanding English.:D

Still a damn nuisance, they always seem to call when I'm in the middle of something.:angry:

Thanks to this thread, I was able to spot the scam straight away a few minutes ago  here in Greece when a guy with an Indian accent claimed I  had a Windows problem..so I was able to shout at him he´s part of a criminal scam and to f... off!

I feel free to say whatever I like to them as they are scamming thieves. They have called here many times. They recently got a kid of a friend of my wife to download all this crap of theirs onto the computer. This one of the few opportunities you have to say whatever you want.

The last very polite lady tried this Microsoft stuff and got very, very, very flustered when I suddenly started asking her several different ways how hairy her pussy is.

All I could hear was umgghhh, umgghhh, ughhh and she put the phone down after a little bit. 

I wish I could tell you I got a lifetime free MS office package in the post after this, but I didn't. The next guy who calls will get something along these lines but about their girlfriend being in the flat etc but they can't talk right now cos their mouth is full.

If I am in a good mood also pretend that I have an outsourced technical department that I transfer them to and roleplay with voices that is based in a cowshed in southern India, including things like  "Rajesh the cow is eating the server cable again" whilst keeping up appearances of a top outsourced IT service, this can go on for a while. The last recipient of this told me I talk too much. Sometimes they put the phone down if I say transferring.

If I am in a filthy mood and busy I say some very, very bad things instead.

41 minutes ago, john g. said:

Thanks to this thread, I was able to spot the scam straight away a few minutes ago  here in Greece when a guy with an Indian accent claimed I  had a Windows problem..so I was able to shout at him he´s part of a criminal scam and to f... off!

You should have tried to sell him expensive private health insurance.

3 minutes ago, black1 said:

including things like  "Rajesh the cow is eating the server cable again"

Some years ago the pet rabbit did chew through the DSL cable putting the whole house into Internet darkness.

1 minute ago, HEM said:

Some years ago the pet rabbit did chew through the DSL cable putting the whole house into Internet darkness.

Thank you for that. I might weave it into my next outsourced roleplay.

The call where the message is " From visa, suspicious charges on your card".

Call display - never answer unless I recognize the name/ number

Block  scam numbers.

I never pick up the phone if I don't know the number or it is not displayed. That discourages the scammers very quickly.

Real callers leave a message...

1 hour ago, Metall said:

I never pick up the phone if I don't know the number or it is not displayed. That discourages the scammers very quickly.

Emphasis added.

You're lucky. 

But that technique is best.  Answering the phone just encourages them.