Hi, am calling from Microsoft. Your PC is infected

147 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, emkay said:

Registering with TPS also helps.  Not sure what the equivalent is here?

Most probably the Robinsonliste.

I occasionally tell them that they have got through to a high security prison and that I'm in for multiple homicide. That usually works.

Here's the gold standard for going nuclear on cold callers, I'm sure everyone has heard it by now but it's such a classic (NSFW) that it's worth reposting...

Maybe not Microsoft, but still quite amusing - a friend of mine regularly gets cold-calls from companies offering conservatories, which she finds just a little irritating.

Anyway, her go-to solution is to let them make an appointment and actually come round to see where she could have a conservatory built.

Unfortunately, she is getting a bit old and forgetful, and never mentions that she lives in a third-floor flat :D

I just caught the end of a news story yesterday on the radio.  And I think it said that the German authorities have been working with their Indian colleagues and have closed down a call centre in India which was doing this.

just had an interesting call, indian girl calling from Microsoft

Ms:Microsoft is calling

MS:I have a serious infection on my PC, they need to clean it

me: ok, what should I do about it ?

MS: you should push windows key and R together 

ME:ok

MS: do you see the window appear in left corner

ME:, well i did !, ME thinking, I am not going to edit the registere for them, so I just said no i do not see anything

MS: try again 

ME: again nothing happens :), happens 2 more times

MS: ok, sir, start your internet browser, and type in  www.teamviewer.com

ME: ok

MS: do you see a picture of a man holding a phone.

ME, no I see error.

MS: try again

happens 3 times, after a while ...

MS : Do you have an internet connection ?

ME: sorry no the internet card stopped working.

MS: sir you are a f**King assh**le 

ME: what, I don't think microsoft should be using such words !!

ME: just one thing I do not understand why you microsoft rings up, my computer is an apple !

MS: You Mot**er F**ker

hangs up

Whenever I get a scammer on the line, I always try to waste as much of there time as possible, because thats the expensive part of there scam.

I got them to 10 over minutes this time a new record for me :)

Always piss em off and waste as much of there time as possible. :)

sometimes I like to use the please, I need to go to the toilet, please wait me, that can waste a bit of there time.

@yesterday I just normally express outrage that they would call me, me Mr Unix head and windows user. 

But you get them to call you an asshole. That is far more impressive.

2 hours ago, yesterday said:

Whenever I get a scammer on the line, I always try to waste as much of there time as possible, because thats the expensive part of there scam.

I got them to 10 over minutes this time a new record for me :)

Always piss em off and waste as much of there time as possible. :)

sometimes I like to use the please, I need to go to the toilet, please wait me, that can waste a bit of there time.

There are people who do this a lot, with some funny stories of them scamming the scammers and infecting them!

https://www.csoonline.com/article/3105346/security/researcher-scams-fake-tech-support-scammer-infects-scammer-s-pc-with-locky-ransomware.html

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/01/take-your-sweet-time-how-i-scammed-a-tech-support-scammer-for-nearly-two-hours/

I know this is an old thread but amazingly the criminals behind this scam are still trying the same old thing on. No chance of them succeeding with me or anyone else in the household but after a pause or very low volume for over a year or so, I have been getting the calls pretty much at least 1 per day for the last 2 months and 3 so far this morning, its a nuisance and I'm getting really pi**ed off.

Has anyone come up with a good method for stopping the calls?

I have tried blocking the phone numbers on my Fritzbox, but it is always a new fake number, it seems they never use the same number twice. I have reported the scam to Microsoft Security, no response. I have played them along, nearly half an hour on one occasion. I have politely told them not to call again and more than once told them where to go. I now just hang up! The calls keep coming though:angry:.

11 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I know this is an old thread but amazingly the criminals behind this scam are still trying the same old thing on. No chance of them succeeding with me or anyone else in the household but after a pause or very low volume for over a year or so, I have been getting the calls pretty much at least 1 per day for the last 2 months and 3 so far this morning, its a nuisance and I'm getting really pi**ed off.

Has anyone come up with a good method for stopping the calls?

I have tried blocking the phone numbers on my Fritzbox, but it is always a new fake number, it seems they never use the same number twice. I have reported the scam to Microsoft Security, no response. I have played them along, nearly half an hour on one occasion. I have politely told them not to call again and more than once told them where to go. I now just hang up! The calls keep coming though:angry:.

I had one of those.  I told him I don't have a computer.  They never called me back.

I've had a few of these very recently. I noticed the last call I had, the guy spoke rapid fire, only pausing a little at the words, 'computer' and 'problem' and then when he'd done his spiel, he said very slowly, "Is there anyone in the house who speaks English?".

I lost him as soon as I said it was my first language. Sneaky.

The best way to fuck them up is keeping them on the line! Hit them where it hurts!

I used the same trick to stop having calls from penny stock scammers and Hong Kong loaners!

Those assholes have to do at least 100 calls per day. If you trick them into spending useless time with you, they loose.

I reply with "I'll just go and get my Dad" and lay the phone down beside me ... ... ... ... ...

I would really urge people to make the lives of the callers as un-pleasant as possible.

The Reason ...

My mother is in her 80's, she has a computer, but is not really very good with it. When she gets a phone call from "Microsoft", she may actually believe them, and give them open access  to her computer, then they can do what they want.

The more you piss these people off, the great the chance that they mistake my mothers inability on  the computer, as another attempt to annoy - they may give up then.

Thus saving my mother, having to deal with a ( maybe) virus infected computer.

The people making these calls are criminals and the fact that they are still doing it suggests they are able to con enough people to make it worthwhile. For me it may just be a nuisance but to "yesterdays" 80 year old mother and others there is a real risk of them falling victim. Is there somewhere to report these calls that would prompt the authorities to take action against the perpetrators.

Call display is my way- if I do not recognise the name/ number, then I expect  them to leave a voice mail. Friends and family know  this.

I did pick up by mistake once-  yes, Microsoft and your Mac  computer is infected. I said I do not have a Mac, and I let him try various makes before hanging up.

41 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Call display is my way- if I do not recognise the name/ number, then I expect  them to leave a voice mail.

I don't have voice mail. I just don't pick up if I don't recognize the name/number.

Well after a pause of over 6 weeks the calls have started up again, I've had a call a day for the last 3 days, from a different outfit I think. Same thing but even more shambolic, this lot are withholding the number not using fake German numbers like before, very loud obvious call centre background noise and extremely heavy Indian sub continent accented English (both male and female callers) on top of very poor connections.

My approach now is to let them go through their speil then hang up without saying anything which hopefully wastes the maximum amount  of their time with the minimum of mine.

I think I mentioned it before, but ask them in a very solemn voice 'What would your mother think if she knew you were scamming innocent people ' ? 

I was told this by an Indian. I've tried it and it works :D