Hi, am calling from Microsoft. Your PC is infected

147 posts in this topic

Yes, recently, I have had Roy from Microsoft, and Gary two days later - lovely chappies, who were shocked to hear that I not only speak English, but am English!

Neither of which were too surprised when I refused to switch on my computer and "do things" with them!

According to Google, the best thing anybody can do with these guys is to get off the phone, and DO NOT TOUCH YOUR COMPUTER!!!

Have reached the stage of not answering calls if we do not recognise the caller. Call display is essential to life now. Friends and family know they have to start a message, and we will pick up if at home. None of these call centres will leave messages. If you do pick up by mistake and start a conversation, take a deep breath, and give a quick blast of a whistle you will have bought for this purpose. That should deter them.

Speaking of cold calling call centers, I can't understand why people would work at such places. Desperation perhaps?

Probably because they have 2-3 months of plush experience as a debt collector. It's almost like entrepreneurship. Probably offered future CEO status, well that's how they present themselves over the phone anyway. :angry:

I too received a call from a man with a strong indian accent who claims that he's from Microsoft.  I knew that it was a scam and told him that I do not have a pc at home and he just hang up!!!:D

For the past couple of months we have been plagued almost daily by these calls and have gone through the gamut of responses. Today's number was a Swiss one, but when you call back the number is unavailable.

Is there a fraud reporting line to police here does anyone know? And is it worth the effort anyway?

I just looked online but didn't find anything about reporting it to the police. A lot of those phone numbers are spoofed anyway, so even if you could report the number, it'd probably be a waste of your time and effort.

At the very least, you could try to have some fun with the callers. I've read enough reports about people doing that, like telling the caller "OK, but let me warn you. I'm not good at technical or PC stuff. So how do I turn on the PC? Where is the button? Does the PC need to be plugged into the wall socket first?" Etc etc.
One person reportedly screamed into the phone, "Speak up, speak up, I'm deaf as a doorpost." The person screamed that about once a minute, then he made the caller start over with the instructions about halfway through, saying he wasn't focused/hadn't taken his meds/ the cat had just thrown up, whatever. :)
Of course, this is only if you're bored, have time on your hands and feel like jerking the jerky caller around.

These kinds of calls really tick me off, because I'm sure there are maybe some elderly people out there who honestly believe the caller and get caught up in this scam.

Just tell them "I am a data protection officer*, if you cooperate by giving me the contact details of whoever gave you my number I may be able to keep you out of the investigation."

*Datenschutzbeauftragter, if the caller is German. 

With so many scam calls, we continue to monitor all calls on Call display. If not recognised, we do not answer and wait for message to kick in.  If they do not leave a message, then we ignore.  Yes, the Microsoft warning call- they say, like banks, they will never call on issues like that.

Friends in Canada get scam calls from CRA ( Tax), warning them to pay up or RCMP will be at their door!  And people fall for it- usually elderly, single people.

I LOVE these calls from Microsoft. I always rise to the occasion and have a wonderful time. I had 2 calls recently, the first time I was a mountain redneck with a lot of guns and the second time I was an Indian trying to persuade them to install an app on their system. They were fairly calm about it but bemused. The next time I will be Indian customer support with a cow loose in the server room, convinced that the caller is the cow owner, or maybe instead a sex line user.

These calls make my week, I give them my all when they call me.

The BBC did a report a couple of years about a guy that got so fed with cold calling that he set up a premium rate phone number. When the companies did a random dial to his number he would keep them talking as long as possible knowing they would clock up a large bill. Can't say how much he made out of it but it was in thousands.

I was suspicious that our Vodafone  account was blocked today stating an error number and an 0900 number to call at 1,24€ per minute. I stopped my husband calling it and found a free phone number online for Vodafone customer services.  Don't know the terminology though turns out that our email address was being accessed from abroad. Something like someone wishing to mimic the address to dish out emails containing dodgy links. 

Vodafone did admit that anyone could call the free phone number rather than the 0900. What a rip-off. 

This website is useful for finding alternative numbers for 0180s.   http://www.0180.info

I got a flurry of cold calls back in the UK and although I used the usual tactics of...I'm moving, emigrating etc, the only one that worked was to tell the caller that I'm passing them over to my granny who loves a good long chat.  :D

Registering with TPS also helps.  Not sure what the equivalent is here?