Hi, am calling from Microsoft. Your PC is infected

171 posts in this topic

Hey there has been an outcome from this

Microsoft scam man is sentenced in 'landmark' case

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26818745

It was traced back to the UK, to Luton.

Yeah, I got one of those calls today. He said bad things were happening to my computer and, in response to my questions, he said he was calling from Phoenix AZ but not who he worked for, that "the server" was getting error messages, but never replied to my questions about what he was going to do about it. I finally told him to get an honest job, and hung up.

Ha ha. Just had a call from these buffoons.

Me: Mylastname

Him:(lots of rusting around in the background) Hello?

Me: Hello? Mylastname.

Him: Do you speak English?

Me: (starting to suspect something) Uh, yes.

Him: (thick Indian accent) Oh, hello, my name is Harry and I'm calling from the Windows Department...

Me: *click*

My son said I should have kept him on the line and had a little fun but I just couldn't be bothered.

I had the latest one of these a couple of days ago. For some reason the number had called my home phone a few times but always disconnected before I could answer.

When I finally answered, I got the usual "I am from the IT department and I am calling..." in a thick Indian accent. I interrupted him with a shouted "no youre f"§$%&g not, you scamming c&%t, F§$k off!". Stunned silence. Click.

The number called me back twice. The first time I answered but said nothing - silence. The second time I picked up and heard a muffled and muttered (as of someone putting their mouth very close to a microphone and trying not to be heard) "f§$kyou".

Looks like I got under their skin :-)

Him: (thick Indian accent) Oh, hello, my name is Harry and I'm calling from the Windows Department...

An Indian called Harry? Ask him if his colleagues are called Thomas & Richard...

You could have suggested that he come round to clean them (the windows).

Trouble is - one thinks of these things after the event.

I did get such a call, and immediately said: Ok, you're going to tell me my PC is infected with a virus and I need you to fix it?

She replied: Oh no sir, it's that your PC is infected with a virus and...

At which point I exploded.

You could have suggested that he come round to clean them (the windows).

You beat me too it! That was my suggestion.

Urgh. They called again today but when I picked up there was long silence and then a female computer-generated voice that said "good bye". I guess I can expect another call tomorrow.

I'm getting crankier by the minute. Another call today from "Kevin from the Windows Development Department in California". It's 3:30 a.m. in California right now.

The number was 002067716723 which suggests that it was coming from Egypt. Different accent than "Harry" from Wednesday. Little twerp claimed to be proud of what he was doing and assured me that it wasn't a scam.

The number was 002067716723 which suggests that it was coming from Egypt.

Unfortunately it doesn't suggest anything - it's easy to scam caller ID. They probably only use a number to increase the chances of people picking up. A quick google of the number doesn't show it's been used before.

Don't even need to spoof Caller ID.. Its easy to get Temporary SIP accounts almost anywhere in the world and trunk

the calls to/from any other 3rd part country.

The number was 002067716723 which suggests that it was coming from Egypt. Different accent than "Harry" from Wednesday. Little twerp claimed to be proud of what he was doing and assured me that it wasn't a scam.

Sure it isn't. Why didn't you just tell him that you don't have a computer? I doubt they'd call you again if you did.

Why didn't you just tell him that you don't have a computer?

Or something like: "Oh, I got rid of my Windows computer years ago, I now have a Mac. I suggest you get one, too".

Don't even need to spoof Caller ID.. Its easy to get Temporary SIP accounts almost anywhere in the world and trunk

the calls to/from any other 3rd part country.

It's a damned sight easier to have a single line where you change to a new random number for every call than it is to get a new line with a different number for every call, and as SIP account numbers are allocated from a fixed number contingent they can be easily traced, so that would be pretty silly anyway.

With Some SIP providers/accounts You can change the Caller-ID string with SIP accounts too...Duh...

Yay I finally got the call. Sadly I could only keep them on the phone for a couple of minutes into my pranking. I had just "transferred" them to my "technical department" which was answered by someone called "Steve" with a very Indian strong accent, who was going to pretend he was absolutely also not in India and a shoestring operation. It would have involved some very exciting goings on in the call centre in the background. But all in vain, they put the phone down before I got to the best bits. How sad. Unless someone was pranking me with one of those internet sites that calls you... But I don't think so. All the kids are in school at this time. Oh well, maybe they will call again. I could take it to the next level and start accidentally mishearing very naughty things.

Had a call last night from "Microsoft San Francisco".

Said my computer was sending out malicious software links and had to be stopped.

He asked me to start my computer, press the Microsoft key and (bottom left)and r simultaneously and type cmd in the box.

I was curious and did this and other things but came to a point where I started to get worried. He then transferred my to his supervisor who had the same accent (Philippino).

I asked her what time it was in San Francisco and she said 2.15 am. (NOT correct as SF is at least 9 hours behind Berlin).

I said I couldn't trust her and hung up. No further contact since. I then subsequently found this thread on TT and thank heaven it didn't go any further.