Hi, am calling from Microsoft. Your PC is infected

174 posts in this topic

It's a pity that real IT troubleshooters don't have the same degree of patience as the scammers.

Capitalism has failed.

We had The Call this morning, and my 10 yr old took it and passed it, rather confused, to me. I went down the - why are you doing this wicked work for an evil company - line, and then put the phone down.

After some discussion I think the 10 year old (we have been joking about finding her 'off' switch since she learned to talk) missed her chance at the 'how are you today' line - she would have been chatting happily on that theme for an hour at least, and saved masses of people from the evil that is this scam...

We've just had a call from "James from Microsoft" who had a distinct indian accent. My son strung him along for a little while then told him that he knew it was a scam, and put the phone down.

My wife just got this call. Actually they called last week and my 14 year-old son answered. I'm glad I've got a nerd of a kid, he just told them to fuck off.

Then they called again today (from a US number) and my wife answered. She told them to call back in an hour, because she wanted to talk to me first.

When they called back she let him talk for a while to see what it was all about. When they said to hit the windows button and 'r' and type eventvwr, she said, "no, because I know it's a scam" and the guy hung up.

When they said to hit the windows button and 'r' and type eventvwr, she said, "no, because I know it's a scam" and the guy hung up.

Weird, I wonder what they want out of the event logs...

And I wonder where they are getting the phone numbers from.

They would have probably told her to send them the event logs or something, then sent us a bill for 150 bucks for fixing it.

Or they would have asked if the file contained a common event that is always there and claimed that was evidence of the virus infection.

That could potentially scare the victim enough that they'd grant access to the system.

Weird, I wonder what they want out of the event logs...

Its all part of the scam; normal benign errors listed in the event viewer are made out to be 'the work of hackers/malware' and 'need to be fixed immediately'. These errors look like red X's and Yellow !'s in the viewer so to someone not in the know, yeah they can look a bit scary.

This gives them the justification to say you need to go to a (dodgy, but crucially legit looking) site where you'll be directed to install something that ultimately will give the scammers control of your PC, or data, which they can ransom/blackmail as 'lifetime support' or whatever.

Sounds like they're preying on less technically-competent users.

Hopefully they don't call my Dad - I emailed him a long link for an item on Amazon and he tried typing it into his browser, complete with additional errors...

Sounds like they're preying on less technically-competent users.

I suspect that my wife would have fallen for it, if my kid hadn't told her about the same call a week ago... :ph34r:

This is the chick who asked me to fix her laptop, because it didn't recognize her new camera, which she had plugged into the ethernet port...

I finally got the call from "Microsoft"..., but it was a bit disappointing. I really wanted to keep them busy for a long time, but failed.

I executed the eventviewer command as they wanted and it showed a lot of errors as expected. They were of course excited about the errors but I just said that it looks as expected -> they hung up.

Very disappointing...

I think that the awareness of the scams have made them optimize their routines. As soon as they notice that the victim is not dumb enough -> hang up.

I'm sad I didn't get the call yet, I have a whole exciting routine all worked out with several scenes, imaginary call forwarding and several imaginary characters in various world locations with appropriate accents pretending to pretend they are not where they are pretending to be but giving it all away through unfortunate regional gaffes. It's going to be great. I'm looking forward to an opportunity to break up my daily grind with some planned dramatic routine and added improvisation.

Call damn it!

I was getting these calls repeatedly every month or so but usually just hung up on them. Last time I strung them along for 10+ minute since I was curious how they intended to dupe people. For me they had me run the assoc command and told me my "unique" CLSID. Then they wanted me to log into a remote-access website at which point I stopped playing along and told them it was a lame scam. What I did find interesting was that the very next day I got a follow up call, this time from "Western Union". They claimed I was scammed and wanted to assist me in getting my money back from these people (no doubt involving me giving them my bank info). I must have made it to their scammed list on the original call despite not giving them money nor access to my computer.

Tony

Has another one of these yesterday.

After a little while of playing ball I started asking why he does that knowing he is conning people.

Then I asked the guy if he was religious. "Do you believe in Mohammed?". Yes he said. "Do you think he would agree with you doing this?" No he said. "and you believe your god is watching over you" yes he said

Then he went quiet.

I then went into some speech about the difference between right and wrong. He kept listening.

This time though he didn't hang up, in the end I hung up. Normally they hang up when they are sure you are not biting, maybe that's the nerve to hit. It won't stop future calls but maybe I've made one convert!

Where do these scammers get their victims' telephone numbers from? Do they just call random numbers or do they have some other method?

My father in law got one of these phone calls a couple of months ago.

Funny, because he has no internet and no computer! :)