Hi, am calling from Microsoft. Your PC is infected

174 posts in this topic

"Do they also speak German? If so, I need to warn my father-in-law."

If they don't, they must be targeting English-speaking expats. Wonder who their source is?

Had the call a couple of weeks ago - definitely an Indian dude. You could use the following "ma chuda bhosdi ke" (roughly translated as pussy motherfucker), or tell them you work for Microsoft and will call them back once confirming their ID on the GAL (my chosen route to get rid of him). I don't believe they target English speakers as such as our listing in the address book is under Mr. Hams who is German. When he said 'hello' I actually thought it was my dad... :unsure:

hams,

The phone number may have been obtained through some other method than the phone book. How do Germans react to someone calling them with "Hello"?

How would you react to someone calling you, in England, with a typical German opening?

Well, I'm the only native English speaker at that number, and that number is not in my name, nor is it connected to me in any way officially. So yes, I think they're just chancers. Plus, they can always claim that Microsoft outsources such services to companies where no German speaking employees are available. Either they get lucky or they don't, but considering the number of calls they make in a day, even a 1% con rate would amount to success.

I got a call from them a month or two back. I'd just got out of the shower and had to dash to the phone wearing just a towel, so got seriously wrong-footed.

hams,

The question is not whether the number is in your name, but rather how they knew someone speaking English would be likely to answer the phone. Have you ever left your number with an English-language website?

If they were calling random numbers in Munich, there's still only a 20% chance of reaching a native English speaker on each call: So that's 5 time more fruitless calls.

I will ask my German-speaking friends if they get these calls, either in German or English. But I would suspect that these callers have somehow gotten a list of English-speaking likely targets. The question is, How?

hams,The question is not whether the number is in your name, but rather how they knew someone speaking English would be likely to answer the phone. Have you ever left your number with an English-language website?If they were calling random numbers in Munich, there's still only a 20% chance of reaching a native English speaker on each call: So that's 5 time more fruitless calls.I will ask my German-speaking friends if they get these calls, either in German or English. But I would suspect that these callers have somehow gotten a list of English-speaking likely targets. The question is, How?

As I said, the landline number is in no way connected to any of my personal data anywhere. You give these people too much credit, as opposed to giving credit to the fact that many Germans do indeed speak English.

I agree with hams, I reckon they're just working on the basis that a lot of people will understand them and that they may accept someone speaking English, as most people realise that technical support is often farmed out to low cost countries like India.

Hey, guys, my father-in-law fell prey to this about three weeks ago. Thankfully, he called us right away and asked about it. I knew it was going around and directed him to the Microsoft website for the advice on it. I also had him run a complete scan (he uses Norton) and add and run Ccleaner and the special security scan from Microsoft. He DID give them access. Do you have any other advice or directions for things you would do? I think he's safe enough, but I am not an expert. Perhaps one of you is.

Thanks, I'll tell him that.

BTW, he is in Nuremberg.

Scamee has some fun with Indian scammers.

Part 2: Messing with the scammers (featured on BBC Panorama)

That was beautiful - especially in part 1 when she got the woman all mixed up with My Computer, your computer. Part 2 got really excruciating.

Those scammers are really patient.

Here's another youtube clip, of an Australian guy doing a similar thing to the scammers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BG6FLsN0A4

I'm a bit relieved because my 89 yr. old father in law doesn't speak any English. If he gets scammed by this lot, I'll know that he's been scamming me for years.