Bitcoin - a decentralised digital currency

1,780 posts in this topic

good point. probably end up bombing the hell out of it and risk overheating if it was to do Bitcoin mining.

The weekend lull is drawing to a close, so fasten your seat belts people, and get ready for the most epic 48 hours in bitcoin history to date.

YorkshireLad6 is going to be crying into his beer that he owes me come Wednesday morning.

If ever there was a time to panic buy, that time is now. See you on the other side of $100.

post-16-13641542020064.png

I bought on Feb 23 at around 23€ and sold on Thursday at 54€, so more than doubled my money. I've essentially reinvested the same original capital amount, so no longer have anything to lose. It can do what it likes now.

It doesn't seem clear who is behind Bitcoin or who guarantees funds if it collapses. Why the anonymity/confusion if everything is above board?

Far as I gather there is no guarantee of funds with Bitcoin. There is no safety belt and no crash helmet. So that's risk number one.

Risk number two is the fact that Bitcoin is an open source peer to peer system. They say it's a strength. But surely its also a weakness?

Theoretically a rogue programmer who wanted to put a spanner in the works (digital terrorists for example, or 14 year old kids with nothing better to do) could program some kind of bug that ruins the whole thing.

I don't know how technically feasible that is in practice, but it could be a concern.

Looks to me like we're bubbling around one or two dollars below the ATH.

In the next few hours one of the big hitters like YL6 is going to put in 200k and then all hell will break loose.

Currently it's a game of chicken to see who'll move first.

Does he just not understand it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSYKrihqkR8

And we're off!

i wish they'd hang on another day or two, I'm still waiting for funds to clear so I can buy some more.

current ATH $75 - despite the "good" news on Cyprus Euro.

We could be testing $80 by tomorrow..

I subscribe to the Wall Street Journal, but also read it online when looking for a specific topic. Here are two links related to Bitcoin.

from 4 days ago (Mar. 21, 2013). "Web Money Gets Laundering Rules"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324373204578374611351125202.html

Note: the readers comments are always informative, if not entertaining to read.

from Aug. 2011

http://live.wsj.com/video/bitcoin-to-burn-a-hole-in-your-pocket/1FADAD1B-15D6-4250-AD7B-E62556C5D1A3.html#!1FADAD1B-15D6-4250-AD7B-E62556C5D1A3

I hope these links work. I don't ever sign in to access WSJ articles, so I hope they are free to all.

As for Bitcoin, it sounds very highly speculative, not even close to a traditional blue-haired lady stock. With the US starting to regulate Bitcoin there may be a gain in momentum and acceptance, but that will take years. It may be a bubble. Or may be the next big thing. Who can say?? Crystal ball, anyone...?

Lisa

I subscribe to the Wall Street Journal, Here are two links related to Bitcoin.

As for Bitcoin, it sounds very highly speculative,

Lisa

Bitcoin is highly speculative.

The WSJ articles are accessible, no problem.

When Bitcoin rates are quoted on BBC and WSJ that's when we'll know Bitcoin has gone mainstream.