Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Chances on getting a bank job in Munich

17 posts in this topic

Hi all!

This is my first post in this forum though I ve been reading in it for a while which is why I want to thank everyone for all the good information in here.

My question to you would be (and I hope it hasnt been asked before): How are the chances on getting a banking job in Munich with the following qualifications:

Degree in business studies

Irish QFAs (Qualified financial advisor exams)

and Train the trainer certificate

I am not asking for myself but rather for my boyfriend who is Irish. We are thinking abt relocating to Germany, preferably Munich or anywhere else in a Bavarian city. I would like to know how his chances would be to get a job in a bank. Now his German isnt the best (probably A2)so it would be best if there would eb any bank that has English as its company language. He is working in a bank now as a trainer (he trains the staff in how to use their systems, how to answer the phone and so on...) and has previously worked in the call center of his bank. All in all, he has about 5 years of experience in the bank.

He would like to do some kind of training again but I wondered if this would be possible in Munich (I really dont know much abt the job market there...)

If not, can you think of any other position in a bank or financial institution where he might be able to find work?

He has also worked in a call center for technical support. Are there any call centers like that in Munich where it would be enough to speak basic German?

Thank you all in advance,

sabita

I'm no expert having never done a bank job, but I should imagine with the right getaway car, a reasonable amount of discreet scoping and a couple of shooters, such an operation might be successful within the confines of the city.

Do let us know if you undertake such a heist and it's yield. Good luck.

I can't say much about those qualifications, as I'm in IT for banks and not really in banking itself, but generally, his chances would be much, much higher in Frankfurt than they would be in Munich. That's where the vast majority of the banking is done in Germany.

If he has skills that the bank really needs, not speaking German is not a problem and there are many ex-pats working at the major banks who speak little to no German.

cut the jokes lads!

I guess one of the most important questions is whether or not he speaks German? (Oh sorry, I nearly missed that you said he is about A1!)

If yes, obviously, the chances of getting a banking job, rather than robbing a bank are somewhat higher...

There is a link somewhere on here about having qualifications translated to German, and at what level what qualification is rated - obviously, a "train the trainer certificate" will only have any relevance if your boyfriend can speak the language (again!)

As far as I am aware, the training in banks here is very much through the apprenticeship system and on the job training. I am not at all sure how it would work for somebody coming here from another country, but maybe your boyfriend would have the best chances of getting a job if he applied to the more international type of bank, rather than to Deutsche Bank initially.

I´ll try and find that link...

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58367&view=findpost&p=1083057

maybe your boyfriend would have the best chances of getting a job if he applied to the more international type of bank, rather than to Deutsche Bank initially.

Deutsche Bank is a very large international bank, and that's exactly where I would start looking!

I stand corrected!

Thinking about it, start with applying to ALL of the BIG banks you can think of - sooner or later he might get lucky!

Also, you really need to work on his English with him!!!

ok, sorry for my bad english...but you know what I mean...:-) And thanks for the useful answers.

Does anybody know which banks in Munich would have English as their company language?

The banking sector having hit troubled waters, the people I knew in that field were all fighting for their jobs a couple of years back ...

I haven´t got a clue Sabita, but simply start by checking out the websites of the BIG banks and work your way down - even if the working language is not English, there might be a department allocated to overseas banking, in which English would play a large part.

Do you have a friendly bank Berater? Maybe you could ask him/her a little bit about how the bank works and how much they require English?

Does anybody know which banks in Munich would have English as their company language?

There isn't a heck of a lot of banking in Munich at all, and what is there will generally be all in German.

I've worked at a lot of banks and can almost guarantee you that you will be stuck in Frankfurt, if anywhere at all.

This is not the best time for banks in Germany. The "big" banks (Deutsche Bank and Commerzbank) are in big trouble (financial and legal) and laying off thousands of workers.

Commerzbank:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21469909

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21176989

Deutsche Bank:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21280151

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21357172

Not trying to discourage you here. Just letting you know that it might be very hard to find something at the banks right now, especially since your boyfriend's German isn't very good/fluent.

I would (if you haven't already) create a profile on Linkedin and Xing (Xing is very popular in Germany) and network with recruiters who specialize in Finance jobs.

As someone has already stated, Frankfurt is the banking center of Germany. Hypovereinsbank and Bayerische Landesbank are two banks that are headquartered in Munich. All the other big banks have their headquarters in Frankfurt. On the other hand Munich is where all the insurance/re-insurance companies are based. Allianz and Munich Re are both based in Munich. Something to consider if living in Munich/Bavaria is important to you.

General information about Munich's financial community: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich%27s_financial_community

Duh, the OP hasn't logged in for 5 years!! UniCredit is still an option in Munich ?.

17 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Duh, the OP hasn't logged in for 5 years!!

21 hours ago, catjones said:

Today's answer to the OP's old question

See that word "old" there? Duh.