Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Clearing snow in Nuremberg

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I finally drew the short straw with the snow clearing and now its my turn. Over the past week snow has fallen but not enough to warrant needing to be shoveled - how much snow has to have fallen for it to need clearing or salting, and can I hand over the card if I have only salted?

I asked a German how much snow should be on the ground before it had to be cleared and she had no idea either, so i'm hoping someone might have a better answer!!

Thanks

They start sweeping the steps with just a light dusting here. They are a bit anal about it, must be a DDR or Prussian thing no idea.

I say sweeping because they do that with just flurries, shoveling comes later if at all needed.

Salt? are you sure that you are permitted to use salt in Nuremburg?

I am not certain about the situation here, but I know for sure that it is most definitely frowned upon as it is apparently bad for the environment...

As for how much, well, I would say that if you or the woman you love were to go out in high heels and would get snow on her feet, then you should already have cleared it... on the other hand, how long is a piece of string?

Oh yea salt, I forgot about that, they normally throw out sand here, but salt is bad. There is some sort of ice melting stuff that may look like salt but isn't.

Once you have a "geschlossene Schneedecke", i.e. the sidewalk is completely covered and you cannot see the pavement, it's time to get out your shovel and start clearing.

Please do not forget the gravel! I have been walking very gingerly (although I am blond) due to partially cleared, thawed and refrozen snow without the slightest bit of traction provided by your wonderful Splitt (gravel).

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies ... I managed to get away with sweeping the street last week, and handed the card on ... Good to know for next time that if it can be swept it counts. Also I realise that using salt in the English way is not possible in NUE, I simply meant salting/gritting

Thanks again