Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Working at International School Mainfranken

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have been offered a teaching job in Unterspiesheim at the International School Mainfranken for the 2013-2014 school year. It is in the Lower Franconia section of Bavaria. I am very excited, but need to make sure it is a good move financially.

I will be making approximately 2030 Euros/month after taxes taken out. Is this decent? My husband will be with me and will be trying to get a job as well. In the beginning months, is this salary feasible for 2 people?

Is it easy to find a furnished apartment? Where is a good place to look? How much are they typically?

What is transportation like in this area?

We have a Yorkshire Terrier that will come along. How will that work?

I just have so many questions, and the school has gone on a week's holiday.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me,

Jennifer

I moved your thread to the proper region: Franken & Oberpfalz, not southern Bavaria. Franconia (Franken) is actually in northern Bavaria.

Anyhow, where do you get the figure €2030 a month after taxes? Your take home can vary especially depending on your choice of insurance (public or private). Do a search on that. Most people see 40-45% of their gross salary taken out first before take home (because of taxes, insurances, retirement, etc.) Though I bet two people could live comfortably on that especially if rent is cheap. Probably cannot compare it to rents in Munich or Frankfurt though.

Bringing your dog, not a problem. But not sure if they have to be left in quarantine a bit first. Might search that bit too since I am not a pet owner so I do not know.

Your husband getting a job? Probably not a chance in hell, just sayin'.

Transportation? Mmm, well, Schweinfurt is about 14 km away, so too far to ride a bike, but maybe there is a regional train connection. Use the Deutsche Bahnwebsite to see. Not sure if I'd like to live in Unterspiesheim though maybe it is lovely, I just never heard of it before. Schweinfurt might be more of an "exciting" place, though never having been there, I have no idea.

Will the school relocate you? Any sign-on bonus?

Thank you so much for moving it to the right place. I couldn't find anything familiar with Northern Bavaria. My German is still shaky...Its been about 5 years since I learned 4 years in school.

The figure was what was approximated through the school. It is an international school. All of the insurance and tax information was itemized in my information. They pay 50% health and dental and I pay 50%. That is actually much cheaper than my current job in the US. My monthly salary will be 2800 Euros. No sign on bonus. They are too new of a school to relocate us. They will reimburse us for one plane ticket.

My husband is fluent in both English and Spanish. He also works for Apple and has a connection to the Frankfurt store. Him working, I think is better than not a chance in hell, I am presuming!

Any apartment websites that you know of?

Thank you again!

Jennifer

I will be making approximately 2030 Euros/month after taxes taken out. Is this decent? My husband will be with me and will be trying to get a job as well. In the beginning months, is this salary feasible for 2 people?

2030 Euros after tax and social security contributions is enough to make a living, but it won't be a life of luxury (the average worker is making EUR 2300 before taxes and social contributions). You should easily find housing - it is a somewhat rural area with Schweinfurt (about 50000 inhabitants) and Wuerzburg (about 120000) being closeby. Wuerzburg is the nicer city, by the way. The local newspaper is the MAIN POST mainpost ads , where you will find rentals offered (most on a Saturday) and could place an ad yourself. Your dog will probably love it as there are lots of fields you can walk him.

I am currently living about 30 km from U'spiesheim and my kids used to go to that school when it was still in Grafenrheinfeld and when we were in Germany (only a few months per year). A car would be nice to have as the bus connection is poor even though there is a small supermarket close to the school.

Should you have specific questions/problems I will be glad to help, if I can - just drop me a line. I could also ask my in-laws who live only 5 km from the school in the neighboring village if local knowledge was deemed helpful.

Thank you so much for the response! I greatly appreciate it!

I truly want this to work out. I have wanted to teach abroad again for so long now, and this is my chance!

My monthly salary will be 2800 Euros.

That seems rather low to me, however, Kazalphaville is the expert. See Teacher salaries at international schools for more info.

No sign on bonus. They are too new of a school to relocate us. They will reimburse us for one plane ticket.

Do not underestimate the relocation costs!!!

My husband is fluent in both English and Spanish. He also works for Apple and has a connection to the Frankfurt store. Him working, I think is better than not a chance in hell, I am presuming!

What formal qualifications does he have? English and Spanish are not very useful in many parts of Bavaria or Franken without German (or Bavarian).

Another thing that just crossed my mind: if you don't want to spend money on a car but still want to live in a city like Schweinfurt or Wuerzburg you might ask whether you could get a lift with the school's private bus which lifts kids living in Wuerzburg and who commute by train to/from Schweinfurt railway station.